Odd Molding Behavior

SteveNovato

I am working on a plan that has a 26" full height cabinet next to a 20" wall. The crown molding does not act as I expect it would. If the wall is at 20" the crown does not return on the right side of the cabinet. If I make the wall shorter, the trim does return to the wall (2 attached pdf's). I thought the room dividers could have something to do with it so I made a simple plan (also attached) without room definition or dividers and the behavior is the same. In my proper plan, the wall is 20" so the built-in refrigerator doors will open freely and the crown will be pleasing as it wraps to the face of the wall.

I would appreciate any insight on how to overcome this issue. It is a very minor, but I hate to let Chief beat me!

Thanks,

Steve

Trim Return.pdfTrim test.planNo trim return.pdf

I looked at your attachments.  I can't tell you in technical terms why the moldings are behaving that way, but I can tell you that you will have complete control over the molding if you use a 3d molding polyline.  In plan view, select a CAD line and draw around your cabinet.  There is a tool that looks like a wand that allows you to convert that CAD line to a 3d molding polyline and select which molding, what height, etc.  Now you will be able to put your end wall where you need it and the molding will stay in place.

Screen Shot 2021-11-15 at 9.24.50 AM.png

Screen Shot 2021-11-15 at 9.28.45 AM.png

Screen Shot 2021-11-15 at 9.30.53 AM.png

Great!  Most of the time the moldings specified through the cabinet dbx work just fine, but I will use the 3d molding polyline when there is something unusual, like a short wall, 2 cabinets next to each other that are different colors and the program wants to dominate with one color, etc.  The 3d molding polyline gives you more control.  :) 

1 hour ago, SteveNovato said:

Attached are screenshots of the different molding behaviors...

Molding 2.jpg

Molding 1.jpg

Based on what you mentioned above I am guessing you have a hidden wall at that point in which case there is an invisible wall that the molding is finishing to.  You can see it goes just past the cabinet like it would to the end of a parallel wall to cover the transition.  But as @SusanC suggested this is where you can use a molding line or polyline (BTW there is also a dedicated tool for this which will save you time over drawing a polyline/line and then converting it.)

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, SusanC said:

Oh boy, now I'm feeling ignorant - where do I find the tool that will draw the 3d molding polyline without having to convert?  

You could add it to your tool bar or it is found under the "Trim Tools" parent tool.

For a cabinet crown molding, there is no need for a 3D molding. A 3d molding is only needed if the molding will not be level across the z-axis.

To draw your cabinet crown molding, simply locate the correct molding in the library, select it, then drag out a polyline right over the cabinet. Then adjust its height.

No need to locate a 'tool'.

Wow!  Thank you for the tips Robert.   I especially like the second suggestion. 

It's funny how you learn to do something one way and then never realize there are several other, more efficient, ways to do the same thing.  

2 minutes ago, SusanC said:

Wow!  Thank you for the tips Robert.   I especially like the second suggestion. 

It's funny how you learn to do something one way and then never realize there are several other, more efficient, ways to do the same thing.  

Thanks, glad it was helpful. Keep in mind that a quick way to locate the correct molding in the library is to double-click the cabinet (either in plan or the default) go to molding tab, then copy (ctrl-c) the name of the molding, then paste that text into the library browser.