2" and 4" recessed lighting.

Treehouse2339

I use 2" and 4" recessed lighting quite a bit.  Normally the 2" is specified as a circle and an R in the center.  The 4" is a larger circle with an R4 in the center.  I think I must be somehow changing a setting because sometimes half way through the electrical the circles stay as they should but the 4 goes away so both lights just have R.  If Someone has he answer to my frustration thanks.

You would need to post a sample plan with the fixtures in it.  It almost sounds like the R is part of the 2d cad block and the 4 has been inserted as text and the text layer was turned off but it is hard to know for sure if that is not the explanation.

3 minutes ago, Treehouse2339 said:

Interesting I cant attach the file here as it says its over 14 megs.

Can you zip the file or just quickly create a test fie with one room and the fixtures.  Other options are to upload to your cloud account an post the link here to download.

3 minutes ago, Treehouse2339 said:

where do you think the text would be turned off?  Or can I add my own text to the item?

Whatever layer you put the text on if that is what happened.  Maybe use the "All On Layerset " to test that theory.

Yes the proper way is to add the required text to the 2d cad block so such things are not so likely to happen.

6 minutes ago, Treehouse2339 said:

I was able to change the individual light cad block but trying to figure out if I can save it to that particular light so when I place them it will have that title on the plan.

Yes apply it to the symbol and then resave to your library if it looks good.

Its odd.  When I open a new plan and go to ceiling fixtures and tap on the 4" recessed fixture and put it on the plan it has the name R4.  Then when I go to the ceiling fixtures and tap the 2" it is R and a smaller looking fixture.  But then when I go back and change back to the 4" and the 4" now says R but does maintain the larger looking circle.  and now they both come up as R on the plan which is annoying.  Also populates that way to the electrical schedule.

But then when I go back and change back to the 4" and the 4" now says R but does maintain the larger looking circle.  and now they both come up as R on the plan which is annoying.  Also populates that way to the electrical schedule.

I think I am missing something here.  Could you elaborate on your process of  "change back" ?

If I do that and save to the library, do I have to go back to the library each time to use it instead of the icon on the taskbar?

You can assign one default "Ceiling" Light chosen from the library.

Building on what Chop said, you could assign one can to the 'ceiling' light, and assign the other can to a fixture you don't use so they would both be available in the electrical fixtures. 

Or you can add custom icons for any library item you would like.  You could add them both to your electrical toolbar (or other).  There's a lot of flexibility for creating custom library icons.