Stair controls

Doug_N

Does anyone know if it is possible to change the default run (tread depth) to something other than 11?   If I change it in the settings dbx, it goes back to 11 once I close the dialog box.  Same thing for the default rise.  

If you lock the tread depth, the program should maintain whatever tread depth you specified.  If you set this in your stair defaults, any new stairs you draw should also be locked with the same tread depth.

As far as riser height is concerned, you can't specify a default riser height.  The program will try to figure out the best riser height to use based on the total height and the number steps you have.  You can always override this for any given stair by just turning off the automatic heights and specifying the riser height you want to use.  Please be aware that doing this means that you are then responsible for making sure that your stair actually reaches the next level.

• Like 1
  • Upvote 1

Doug:

It works for me.  Riser height is dependent on the number of treads.

With the bullet in "Lock Tread Depth", if you input a different default tread depth, the value you input should hold once you close the dialog and then place a stairs in the plan. 

One thing I did notice is that when changing the tread depth value (with the bullet for Lock Tread Depth" still selected), if I also change the number of treads from 17 (seems to be a default setting - I am using a 109.125 ceiling height) to some other value, and then click in the plan to place a new stairs, the number of treads for the stairs changes to back to 17.  I then have to manually change the number of treads to what I want.

I guess I've never noticed this before and it seems like it might be something that should be changed but I think I'd want to play with it a little more to see why Chief makes it work that way.  When I change the number of treads before closing the dialog, I can see whether or not the number of treads I have inputted makes the stairs out of compliance with the code mandated 7.75" maximum riser height.  Seems to me like changing the number of treads as well should work as long as it is within code requirements.

It is my experience that the 17 treads is hard coded too , I tried changing it to 16  ( to get 7 1/4" +/- Risers default ) but the Program always switches it back to 17, so I have to open and change it anyway.... not sure if this is related to no default Riser being able to be spec'd.....the Tread Depth seems to hold though.....

Default                                                                                                            New stair in Plan

image.thumb.png.d59609bf5bbe0f9a288a2fcf301a2c05.pngimage.thumb.png.a026111c859a94fce396ecd1ec897af9.png

Mick.

Mick:

Your findings seem to mirror mine.  Not a real big deal to change the number of treads once you place the stairs.  Seems like they could fine tune the coding to allow you to spec the number of treads.  I won't be losing any sleep over that aspect of the stairs tools though.

6 minutes ago, CJSpud said:

Mick:

Your findings seem to mirror mine.  Not a real big deal to change the number of treads once you place the stairs.  Seems like they could fine tune the coding to allow you to spec the number of treads.  I won't be losing any sleep over that aspect of the stairs tools though.

True, it just another of those Time wasting things, that I personally think we should have control of in the Premier product..... I understand it in the Consumer software which is used mostly by HomeOwners, but not in Professional Software, with Users world wide, with Different Codes being applicable everywhere.

Personally I would never want a 6 3/4" Riser so I am not sure why we are hardcoded to 17 treads ...or where Chief got 17 from for the hardcoding?

M.

I am going to suggest in the suggestions forum the following:

In the setup dialog:  

Min Tread Depth

Max Tread Depth

Min Rise

Max Rise

This would make the stair generator create a code compliant stair system at the get go, (assuming that is what you input), instead of tweaking the number of treads, tread depth and rise.  

Any thoughts on this?

• Upvote 1

Doug:

For stairs that need to be code compliant, I am still wondering why the min/max values you are suggesting couldn't be hard coded in the software.  But, if other countries have different standards, then maybe that is not a good idea.  I am reasonably happy with the way the tread depths and riser heights work at this time.  I've got a hunch that there won't be too many users that will want to change this functionality of the stair tool ... but it never hurts to try.  Maybe your ideas will lead to even something better as I think the stairs tools are regularly being looked at for improvements.

52 minutes ago, Doug_N said:

In the setup dialog:  

Min Tread Depth

Max Tread Depth

Min Rise

Max Rise

This would make the stair generator create a code compliant stair system at the get go, (assuming that is what you input), instead of tweaking the number of treads, tread depth and rise.  

Any thoughts on this?

Very good Idea. I believe this can solve a number of issues. It would be even better if set up in the program default settings initially. It works for every country code requirements. The currently existing controls are quite nice. These suggested controls would be a guide or "deam to satisfy control". Thank you

1 hour ago, Doug_N said:

In the setup dialog:  

Min Tread Depth

Max Tread Depth

Min Rise

Max Rise

Any thoughts on this?

I have your same thoughts. it seems a bit of a time waster fiddling with the number of risers/treasds trying to get the riser height to be less than 7-7/8 but more than 7 

19 minutes ago, yusuf-333 said:

It would be even better if set up in the program default settings initially. It works for every country code requirements. The currently existing controls are quite nice.

That would be amazing but I don't think Chief has any intention of getting into that.  However I agree that users should be able to set local code requirements in defaults or personal preferences above or below code.

• Upvote 1

6 hours ago, CJSpud said:

Doug:

For stairs that need to be code compliant, I am still wondering why the min/max values you are suggesting couldn't be hard coded in the software.  But, if other countries have different standards, then maybe that is not a good idea...  

That is what I was thinking.  If it were hard coded then how would you exceed the limits if that was not the code of your area?