Reflections behind glass AGAIN

kwhitt

I’ve created a pendant symbol for a kitchen design I’m working on (image attached).  The shade is glass with a glass bulb and parts of the metal downrod in the center obstructed by the glass shade.  It appears that reflections behind glass do NOT work at this time.  I started a thread months ago and thought Chief had solved this problem – guess not.

I thought maybe it had something to do with the fact that the materials were contained within the same symbol.  I squashed that thought quickly by creating two spheres, the outer of which was assigned a glass material and the inner, polished nickel – same problem.

I am very close to achieving photorealism with this new PBR engine; however, I’ll never get there with this ongoing issue.

Anyone have any suggestions (workarounds) or is this just a limitation of the rendering engine in its current state?  Of course, I'll report this again!

Thanks,

Kevin

Untitled 1.jpg

4 hours ago, mtldesigns said:

I would be ecstatic if this was the quality I could get.

Thanks Michael.  But would be even better if reflections showed behind refractive glass - at which time (not too long ago) they did.

temp.jpg

16 hours ago, Kbird1 said:

Yep nice Image as usual , but perhaps they lost something in the latest Update last week?    ( I assume second pic is from an earlier version? )

Mick

Thanks Mick!  Yes, that 2nd image was about a week after the initial fix back in August.  It could have occurred in last week's update.  I'll let you know the response from Chief.  Kevin

29 minutes ago, robdyck said:

Here's a higher resolution example of the glass (for Kevin) and my jagged shadows.

Untitled 1.jpg

Thanks Rob.  Definitely an issue.  Chief requested my plan file this morning which I uploaded.  I'll report on what they say...

2 minutes ago, kwhitt said:

Thanks Rob.  Definitely an issue.  Chief requested my plan file this morning which I uploaded.  I'll report on what they say...

It may have  something to do with the settings of your lights. I got some very different results in my image as I played around with light settings for some of the fixtures I used.

If you want me take a look at your plan you can send it to me direct. I've got a bit of time today. Send me a PM and I'll send you my email address. And I totally understand if you don't want to:).

Once I changed the glass sphere material, the inner sphere appeared smaller (the correct size). I didn't change its size but I changed the material to the same as the kitchen faucet.

In the 2nd image, the small sphere is the countertop material.

Untitled 2.jpg

Untitled 3.jpg

1 hour ago, robdyck said:

I think perhaps there needs to be more ambient light.

I personally find Chief Default settings for Interior and Daylight Ambient (* 31) very low for most views , so I have both set to 58 in my Template Plan, and again as personal preference, I don't like how Bloom "softens" images or how dark Corners and Wall Ceiling intersections are so dark with AO set at 100% so I normally have it in the 30-50% range.

* caveat I am not a Rendering Expert ...all just personal preferences...

Mick.

• Like 1

58 minutes ago, robdyck said:

I think perhaps there needs to be more ambient light.

image.thumb.png.fee0e70e8a37b227b4a9b064e0c6f856.pngimage.thumb.png.2eb87cae4144a6c59da89acad7c8938f.png

Rob - thanks for experimenting with this file.  So, am I to assume that you didn't change the IOR of the glass and only added ambient lighting?  No offense, but the image is now too washed out and was much more photoreal without the flat lighting.  I hope I am able to achieve what needs to be done without the overexposure.  Thanks again!

8 minutes ago, kwhitt said:

Rob - thanks for experimenting with this file.  So, am I to assume that you didn't change the IOR of the glass and only added ambient lighting?  No offense, but the image is now too washed out and was much more photoreal without the flat lighting.  I hope I am able to achieve what needs to be done without the overexposure.  Thanks again!

I know those images aren't great. I was just putting a spotlight on the spheres to see the how the inner sphere reacted to different light sources. I did change the IOR for the outer sphere material to 1.1.

3 minutes ago, robdyck said:

I know those images aren't great. I was just putting a spotlight on the spheres to see the how the inner sphere reacted to different light sources. I did change the IOR for the outer sphere material to 1.1.

Okay, I understand.  Didn't mean to sound ungrateful, just trying to figure it out...  Kevin

4 minutes ago, kwhitt said:

Okay, I understand.  Didn't mean to sound ungrateful, just trying to figure it out...  Kevin

No worries, I get it! I'll send your plan back so you can compare any changes I made. I also noticed that the wood floor makes everything else look better compared to the tile floor.

• Like 1

Last one. I've used added lights for the island pendants and I noticed that they need to be a higher light level as the get further from the camera. In this view, they're all 200 and the further ones don't show any point of light at the bulb. I also moved the base and crown molding off the floor and ceiling by 1/8".

But I can't offer any rendering improvements.

Untitled 5.jpg

• Upvote 1