Question For The Computer Guys

HumbleChief

1 minute ago, Kbird1 said:

Yes, there is no reason not to get the Drive really, as even 2-4 yrs ( should last 10 I'd think if not longer )  from now you can just move it to a new system.

Despite Larry's issue with Cloning  (BAD SSD) I use and recommend Macrium Reflect , even the free version will work for Cloning and running backup Images.

M. 

The only reason one might want to wait to get a new NVMe drive is the upcoming PCIe 5.0 protocol that will double throughput over the current PCIe 4.0. The current 4.0 drives will remain 4.0 drives even in a newer 5.0 system. And yes by all means use Macrium Reflect. Didn't work for me this time but has worked flawlessly in the past.

You can have PCIe 5.0 now on Z690 Motherboards, I am not sure if there are any NVMEs out yet that support it though? , but you'd need a new CPU and possibly DDR5 Ram as well depending on the Mobo. the 980 Pro would reach full speed this way though at perhaps 15x a SSDs speed....

I can't say it will help with Chief though? 

https://www.pcmag.com/news/alder-lake-and-the-new-z690-chipset-is-this-intels-most-innovative-platform

17 minutes ago, Kbird1 said:

Despite Larry's issue with Cloning  (BAD SSD) I use and recommend Macrium Reflect , even the free version will work for Cloning and running backup Images.

I've never done this. Makes me nervous moving my operating system. For now I am thinking of reinstalling CA on the new drive and set up my paths. Leave the C: as is. I know my son wants me to move everything to the new drive so I will cross that road when they show up. I just cannot afford to be down for long.

47 minutes ago, Kbird1 said:

I can't say it will help with Chief though? 

Which is, to me, the most important question, and almost impossible to answer without throwing down the cash to find out. I had an older dual Xeon machine that would chug through Ray Traces, which is what it was designed for, but was pretty slow through most of Chief's operations day to day. I upgraded to my current rig and it was way, way, faster but don't know where to go for an upgrade from here.

5 minutes ago, HumbleChief said:

Which is, to me, the most important question, and almost impossible to answer without throwing down the cash to find out. I had an older dual Xeon machine that would chug through Ray Traces, which is what it was designed for, but was pretty slow through most of Chief's operations day to day. I upgraded to my current rig and it was way, way, faster but don't know where to go for an upgrade from here.

I agree. My son keeps showing me gaming setups, and I keep coming back to him with, ok, thats nice, but will it speed up CA's typical CAD operations within the drawing. He does not know the answer to that. I have done some research on CAD setups, but not enough to know what I would be talking about.

Chief has their recommendations and requirements, but it would be nice if Chief developers would chime into some of this and say, well, if you don't mind spending some extra dollars, we would highly recommend this because it helps with, X, Y and Z, etc.

2 hours ago, stevenyhof said:

I've never done this. Makes me nervous moving my operating system. For now I am thinking of reinstalling CA on the new drive and set up my paths. Leave the C: as is. I know my son wants me to move everything to the new drive so I will cross that road when they show up. I just cannot afford to be down for long.

It's not a MOVE it does a Exact Copy (Clone) of the Drive and leaves the Original as is...... once every is up and running you can Format the Old SSD and use it for Storage either internally or placed in an External Enclosure and Run backups to it eg Images with Macrium which is what I do...

M.

1 hour ago, stevenyhof said:

I keep coming back to him with, ok, thats nice, but will it speed up CA's typical CAD operations within the drawing.

Chief is single threaded so all the Cores in New Processors really don't help that much in Chief, I think Graham Korbey did some test about a  year ago here on the Forum, but for multitasking they should. The New 12th gen on Z690 are much better at this which is why gamers are raving about the newer 12th gen as many games are still single threaded too.

M.

7 minutes ago, Kbird1 said:

It's not a MOVE it does a Exact Copy (Clone) of the Drive and leaves the Original as is...... once every is up and running you can Format the Old SSD and use it for Storage either internally or placed in an External Enclosure and Rin backups to it eg Images with Macrium which is what I do...

Ah! Thus the "Clone". Thank you

2 minutes ago, Kbird1 said:

Chief is single threaded so all the Cores in New Processors really don't help that much in Chief, I think Graham Korbey did some test about a  year ago here on the Forum, but for multitasking they should. The New 12th gen on Z690 are much better at this which is why gamers are raving about the newer 12th gen as many games are still single threaded too.

Great to know - thank you for the info!

• 2 weeks later...

I just wanted to add that I cloned the C: drive to a new 1TB Samsung SSD 980 PRO - Replacing my 970 and I can see a considerable difference in the speed of the undo and other functions. X12 was not really an issue with refreshing the 3D model, but in X13 (standard mode) when I delete a roof plane (for example) and then undo, the model would fade for a moment, sometimes like 1 to 2 seconds and then rebuild. Now it is hardly noticeable and the object(s) pop back into place. 

I put my old ram back in, back to 32 from 64 and faster because I was getting a blue blank screen. However, I am still getting this blue screen so looking into why that is happening. When we went to update the graphic driver I would get the blue screen. I am running 4 monitors so thinking of disconnected 2 of them to see how it goes. Maybe something is going on with my driver.

Bottom line, upgrading to the 980 made a noticeable difference for anyone wanting to gain some more speed. I also updated my storage drive D: to a 2TB 980 PRO so loading plans is faster also.

Thank you everyone who helped with advice here!

BTW, I tried using Macrium Reflect but kept getting an error so ended up using AOMEI Backupper which worked perfectly.