Question For The Computer Guys

HumbleChief

35 minutes ago, stevenyhof said:

Hi Mick, (or anyone with knowledge of this)

I am about to order the "SAMSUNG 980 PRO M.2 2280 2TB PCIe Gen 4.0 x4, NVMe 1.3c Samsung V-NAND Internal Solid State Drive (SSD) MZ-V8P2T0B/AM" - "Get read speeds up to 7,000 MB/s with 980 PRO" per Newegg.com

My son is telling me I should just reinstall CA on this drive and not on the C: drive. Does this make sense to gain some speed? Most of my work is without an issue now on SSD drives. My storage drive is where I have all my plans. 

I never paid attention until I read this thread and see we can control where the Temp and Undo folders are located, and it hit me that CA, knowing that these files are being accessed within the operation that we can take advantage of putting these folders on a NVMe drive to speed up file transfer rates.

This seems like a good move - yes?

Thank you,

Steve

Don't tell him.... but your son is right :) , you would Clone the SSD to the NVME, except he should of told you to get it quick for the Black Friday Deal.....

However you won't (maybe , need MOBO info) get PCIe 4.0 speeds (7000) only PCIe 3.0 ( 3500?,  still 5 x faster that a Sata SSD) as you need a 11th gen CPU to enable PCIe 4 Lanes and the 10700k we both have doesn't have them. My Motherboard (Mobo) a Z590 can with a 11th gen. but my 10th gen CPU can't.

Mick.

2 hours ago, DRAWZILLA said:

Do you have lots of complicated railings?

Lots of anything with Curves eg Oval Sinks (* lots of them)

PDFs saved it Plans

CAD Line work from a "Trace" 

can all slow CA dramatically.

Mick.

12 hours ago, Kbird1 said:

Don't tell him.... but your son is right :) , you would Clone the SSD to the NVME, except he should of told you to get it quick for the Black Friday Deal.....

However you won't (maybe , need MOBO info) get PCIe 4.0 speeds (7000) only PCIe 3.0 ( 3500?,  still 5 x faster that a Sata SSD) as you need a 11th gen CPU to enable PCIe 4 Lanes and the 10700k we both have doesn't have them. My Motherboard (Mobo) a Z590 can with a 11th gen. but my 10th gen CPU can't.

Mick.

Thank you Mick. I was thinking a new CPU may be in order. Back in the 80's I built all of our companies computers, but today I relay on my two sons and people like yourself as my interest is not what it used to be :)

Per pcpartpicker - my motherboard can work with the Intel 11900K... see image
1.jpg

But does require some additional items... see image

2.thumb.jpg.2c8370f15aab5d768b83e9d4ef517b50.jpg

I did just build this computer a little over a year ago with some upgrades since, but I would not be against putting in a new motherboard.

For those who may find this thread, my son turned me onto this guy who tests and helps you find the right hardware...

EDIT: I wanted to add that with my motherboard, it does support the "Intel® Core™ i9-11900K" with an update to the BIOS. Based on my study into the CPU fans I believe the one I have is already fine for this setup.

15 hours ago, DRAWZILLA said:

Larry is there anything running in the background while you are working?  your specs look ok to me.  Do you have lots of complicated railings?  I do try to stay with intel processers   I7 or I9 and always have. Good luck, I can see why you are going crazy.

Hey Perry, hope you're well! Turned out to be auto framing (roof and floor) that was causing the lag. Turned off auto framing and it was back to normal. Apologies as I should have posted that solution in this thread as well as another I started to address the issue..

I've always been an Intel guy but the AMD processor has been great and don't think it's a factor. The point of the last post was to illustrate that an upgrade to a fast drive might not be a magic bullet to get speed gains in Chief.

31 minutes ago, stevenyhof said:

I was thinking a new CPU may be in order...

New gear is always fun but don't expect huge gains from any upgrade at this point in your computer world. Your current computer is very capable and most likely a new CPU and new M.2 drive will be faster but the gains will most likely not be worth the cost. It's fun and can be a bit of a placebo but performance gains from your current system will come in very small, maybe not even noticeable, increments.

1 hour ago, stevenyhof said:

Per pcpartpicker - my motherboard can work with the Intel 11900K... see image
1.jpg

But does require some additional items... see image

2.thumb.jpg.2c8370f15aab5d768b83e9d4ef517b50.jpg

I did just build this computer a little over a year ago with some upgrades since, but I would not be against putting in a new motherboard.

For those who may find this thread, my son turned me onto this guy who tests and helps you find the right hardware...

If the motherboard noted in the pic above is indeed the one you have than an M.2 drive will have access to (EDIT)  PCIe 4.0 and faster speeds.  Not true it's only Gen 3 PCIe. Took a while to find the info in the link below, it's a pic towards bottom of page.  Click on the tech specs tab for further info.

https://www.asus.com/Motherboards-Components/Motherboards/TUF-Gaming/TUF-GAMING-Z490-PLUS-WI-FI/

8 minutes ago, HumbleChief said:

If the motherboard noted in the pic above is indeed the one you have than an M.2 drive will have access to PCIe 4.0 and faster speeds. Took a while to find the info in the link below, it's a pic towards bottom of page. 

https://www.asus.com/Motherboards-Components/Motherboards/TUF-Gaming/TUF-GAMING-Z490-PLUS-WI-FI/

Thank you for the info!

31 minutes ago, HumbleChief said:

New gear is always fun but don't expect huge gains from any upgrade at this point in your computer world. Your current computer is very capable and most likely a new CPU and new M.2 drive will be faster but the gains will most likely not be worth the cost. It's fun and can be a bit of a placebo but performance gains from your current system will come in very small, maybe not even noticeable, increments.

Yeah, I am having some fun, but wanting to see of I can improve what I am doing a bit. With any CAD software, once you get good at what you're doing, you can often outperform the processing... click, click, click is always nicer than... click, click, wait, click. I will need to pay closer attention as I work to notice how CA is working and then once I upgrade how it works.

43 minutes ago, HumbleChief said:

Hey Perry, hope you're well! Turned out to be auto framing (roof and floor) that was causing the lag. Turned off auto framing and it was back to normal. Apologies as I should have posted that solution in this thread as well as another I started to address the issue..

I've always been an Intel guy but the AMD processor has been great and don't think it's a factor. The point of the last post was to illustrate that an upgrade to a fast drive might not be a magic bullet to get speed gains in Chief.

Larry, I always leave all the auto framing on until the very final phase when I need to make some modifications to it. I just don't see those long delays and my computer is getting old and just ordered a new one.

41 minutes ago, HumbleChief said:

If the motherboard noted in the pic above is indeed the one you have than an M.2 drive will have access to PCIe 4.0 and faster speeds. Took a while to find the info in the link below, it's a pic towards bottom of page. 

Steve, this post is incorrect! I was curious why ASUS didn't simply list the PCIe generation in the marketing info but if you click on tech specs you'll see that the motherboard only support gen 3 PCIe speeds. They do note some kind of 4x PCIe info (which I've learned 4x is the number of 'lanes' available)  but it's only gen 3 PCIe. 

3 minutes ago, HumbleChief said:

Steve, this post is incorrect! I was curious why ASUS didn't simply list the PCIe generation in the marketing info but if you click on tech specs you'll see that the motherboard only support gen 3 PCIe speeds. They do note some kind of 4x PCIe info but it's only gen 3 PCIe. 

EDIT*: Ah! So I would need to upgrade "*to a new motherboard" anyway to support the new CPU. 

25 minutes ago, DRAWZILLA said:

Larry, I always leave all the auto framing on until the very final phase when I need to make some modifications to it. I just don't see those long delays and my computer is getting old and just ordered a new one.

Yeah same here P. Never really seen this crazy of a slowdown and it may be a material or some other factor that turning off auto framing is masking. The new hard drive required a new Windows and Chief install and when reopening the plan a few materials were missing and the plan was never this slow before that new hard drive and new install

1 minute ago, stevenyhof said:

EDIT*: Ah! So I would need to upgrade "*to a new motherboard" anyway to support the new CPU. 

Not quite. You would need a new motherboard to support the faster Gen 4.0 PCIe protocol. That 4.0 will get you the faster NVMe M.2 PCIe speeds that Mick mentioned above. But they're working on Gen 5 now so...

2 minutes ago, HumbleChief said:

Not quite. You would need a new motherboard to support the faster Gen 4.0 PCIe protocol. That 4.0 will get you the faster NVMe M.2 PCIe speeds that Mick mentioned above. But they're working on Gen 5 now so...

Very good. Thank you Larry. I work along just fine now with only a few jobs that cause lag, and I have done very little to make my own materials so I am going to leave things as they are now and wait for some real change in hardware before I upgrade. No reason to spend money on such little gain with new things coming around the corner.

3 minutes ago, stevenyhof said:

Very good. Thank you Larry. I work along just fine now with only a few jobs that cause lag, and I have done very little to make my own materials so I am going to leave things as they are now and wait for some real change in hardware before I upgrade. No reason to spend money on such little gain with new things coming around the corner.

Same experience here. Didn't stop me from thinking that a new hard drive would be noticeably faster but sometimes I just like new stuff.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, HumbleChief said:

I would tend to agree with this and would go Z690 and a 12th gen 12700K or higher (budget?) ( or KF)  if a CPU and MoBo are in the Cards, this is likely the closest for a while to a "real change" in hardware but not one that is needed likely for another year or two. I tend to trade back and forwards with Asus and Gigabyte boards , one other feature to look for is dual Bios's in case there is an issue.

As Larry also pointed out the Z400 series boards are PCIe3 only but can use a 11700k CPU , a Z590 also can do 11700 but has PCIE 4 for both Video cards ( no real benefit ) and the extra 4 PCIe lanes for the NVME and often have 2 or 3 NMVE slots.

Mick. 

4 hours ago, Kbird1 said:

I would tend to agree with this and would go Z690 and a 12th gen 12700K or higher (budget?) ( or KF)  if a CPU and MoBo are in the Cards, this is likely the closest for a while to a "real change" in hardware but not one that is needed likely for another year or two. I tend to trade back and forwards with Asus and Gigabyte boards , one other feature to look for is dual Bios's in case there is an issue.

As Larry also pointed out the Z400 series boards are PCIe3 only but can use a 11700k CPU , a Z590 also can do 11700 but has PCIE 4 for both Video cards ( no real benefit ) and the extra 4 PCIe lanes for the NVME and often have 2 or 3 NMVE slots.

Mick. 

Great info. I will bookmark this thread for future upgrade advise.

25 minutes ago, stevenyhof said:

Great info. I will bookmark this thread for future upgrade advise.

Even the 12th Gen is only 16% overall better apparently, though CA is Single Core Coded and the difference there is 33%,

I see some gamers raving about them, but if you have a recent computer I think most are fine....

the extra cost for i9 Chips is usually not worth it unless almost the same price which is not usually the case.

https://cpu.userbenchmark.com/Compare/Intel-Core-i7-12700K-vs-Intel-Core-i7-10700K/4119vs4070

M.

15 hours ago, Kbird1 said:

Even the 12th Gen is only 16% overall better apparently, though CA is Single Core Coded and the difference there is 33%,

I see some gamers raving about them, but if you have a recent computer I think most are fine....

the extra cost for i9 Chips is usually not worth it unless almost the same price which is not usually the case.

https://cpu.userbenchmark.com/Compare/Intel-Core-i7-12700K-vs-Intel-Core-i7-10700K/4119vs4070

M.

Thank you. I'm assuming adding my Undo and Temp, and perhaps all of CA onto the NVME is a good start.

2 hours ago, stevenyhof said:

Thank you. I'm assuming adding my Undo and Temp, and perhaps all of CA onto the NVME is a good start.

Yes, there is no reason not to get the Drive really, as even 2-4 yrs ( should last 10 I'd think if not longer )  from now you can just move it to a new system.

Despite Larry's issue with Cloning  (BAD SSD) I use and recommend Macrium Reflect , even the free version will work for Cloning and running backup Images.

M.