Computer Monitor Choices - Can You Get Crisp AND Fast Response time All in One?

evergreen

A new PC is on its way and looking to upgrade my monitor as well.

The new AW R-12 PC (Intel Core i9) was ordered with an NVIDIA RTX 3080 Ti 12GB GDDR6

I'm not a computer techy but while looking around at different monitors I was exposed to things like IPS vs VA, response time with 60, 144, 240 Hz monitors, the deep black quality, gradients...etc.etc.

Simply put, what I would like is a monitor that is crisp (high quality text for word processing and spreadsheets, browsing, etc,) AND a fast response time for smooth camera panning in CA.

I'm currently experimenting with a SAMSUNG 34-Inch SJ55W Ultrawide Gaming Monitor (LS34J550WQNXZA) – 75Hz. Love the wide format, text sharpness, not bad, but their advertised 75 Hz refresh rate and 4ms response time does not prove to provide a smooth panning experience in CA. Not sure if this is because of existing video card (GTX 960) limitations.

I did also purchase (and now returning) an AW2720HF monitor from Dell which did offer great smooth panning when set to 240HZ, but did not have the sharpness nor color quality I'm after.

I would like to have something at least 32-inch in size and something that is OOTB calibrated (I realize some tweaking may still be necessary).

DELL?, ASUS?, LG?, something else?

Thanks in advance for any input,

Mike

3 hours ago, evergreen said:

A new PC is on its way and looking to upgrade my monitor as well.

The new AW R-12 PC (Intel Core i9) was ordered with an NVIDIA RTX 3080 Ti 12GB GDDR6

I'm not a computer techy but while looking around at different monitors I was exposed to things like IPS vs VA, response time with 60, 144, 240 Hz monitors, the deep black quality, gradients...etc.etc.

Simply put, what I would like is a monitor that is crisp (high quality text for word processing and spreadsheets, browsing, etc,) AND a fast response time for smooth camera panning in CA.

I'm currently experimenting with a SAMSUNG 34-Inch SJ55W Ultrawide Gaming Monitor (LS34J550WQNXZA) – 75Hz. Love the wide format, text sharpness, not bad, but their advertised 75 Hz refresh rate and 4ms response time does not prove to provide a smooth panning experience in CA. Not sure if this is because of existing video card (GTX 960) limitations.

I did also purchase (and now returning) an AW2720HF monitor from Dell which did offer great smooth panning when set to 240HZ, but did not have the sharpness nor color quality I'm after.

I would like to have something at least 32-inch in size and something that is OOTB calibrated (I realize some tweaking may still be necessary).

DELL?, ASUS?, LG?, something else?

Thanks in advance for any input,

Mike

You're not using freesync with a 960 through HDMI. 70hz is really plenty for Chief, couple it with G-sync/freesync and DP connection and a few gfx tweaks and tearing and response can be imperceptible on a quality monitor.

2 hours ago, Renerabbitt said:

You're not using freesync with a 960 through HDMI. 70hz is really plenty for Chief, couple it with G-sync/freesync and DP connection and a few gfx tweaks and tearing and response can be imperceptible on a quality monitor.

Thank you Rene. New PC is due in before Thanksgiving. Looking forward to the latest technology/features. My current system is an old Gateway gaming rig (12 years old). Still going, but outdated and tired.

19 hours ago, evergreen said:

Thanks Greg.

I like my Benq's  too , they're 32"  (BL3200PTs) VA Flicker Free from there Design/CAD/CAM range , the new model is the PD3200Q

I know several with the 27" version who like it too, but can definitely recommend dual screens for Chief.

If you don't game then 75-100hz should be fine but you can get reasonably priced 32" VA 144hz and 165hz monitors now ,

and pricing of VA may allow going dual vs 1 high end IPS monitor, but even they are coming down too.

I personally found 2k or 2160x1440 good but others ...with better eyes....like 4k

M.

11 hours ago, Kbird1 said:

I like my Benq's  too , they 32"  (BL3200PTs) VA Flicker Free from there Design/CAD/CAM range , the new model is the PD3200Q

I know several with the 27" version who like it too but can definitely recommend dual screens for Chief.

If you don't game then 75-100hz should be fine but you can get reasonably priced 32" VA 144hz and 165hz monitors now ,

and pricing of VA may allow going dual vs 1 high end IPS monitor, but even they are coming down too.

I personally found 2k or 2160x1440 good but others ...with better eyes....like 4k

M.

Thank you, Mick. Yeah, 32's don't seem all that abundant (unlike the 27's) and I remember seeing even 36's at my dentists office and they don't readily come up either in a search.

Will check out the BenQ's in meantime.