Losing library browser again

dshall

Anybody losing there library browser?  On a mac,  two monitors,  I put library on second monitor,  and for some reason I am losing it when I go to a different app.  

Prior to this experience,  the library browser would be very small and up in top left corner of second monitor,  and I would just resize it.  Now I don't see it.  I must quit CA and restart to get it back.

This is what I sent to tech support.

On a mac, I work on secondary monitor, I put library browser on primary monitor. If I go to my browser (safari) and back to CA, the library browser is gone. Not isolated to plan I am working on. Tried new OOB plan, same thing, library disappeared. Only way to get it back is to shut down CA and reopen.

I will try working on primary monitor and putting library on secondary monitor. Never noticed this until today with the new 6.2 update.

and then I sent this in......

I am now working on main monitor. If I go to browser and back to ca, browser is there. Better than before. But, but........ If I put library browser on second monitor, go to safari and back to ca, the library browser now relocates back to main monitor and will not stay on secondary monitor. I must again reposition library browser back to secondary monitor.

I am still having trouble with the PB & LB opening up very small in the top left hand corner of my primary monitor (Chief on my secondary monitor).

I was hoping this might be fixed in the latest update - but still no change.

I am still having trouble with the PB & LB opening up very small in the top left hand corner of my primary monitor (Chief on my secondary monitor).

I was hoping this might be fixed in the latest update - but still no change.

Just about to load the latest update, but I have been having this same issue.  And, sometimes, randomly, it's like my entire library just disappears.  The first tier folders are there but that's it.  Restart Chief and it's fixed but weird.

• 4 weeks later...

Has anybody found a remedy for this yet? It just started happening to me this week. I'm on X6 w/ the latest version, and only have the one monitor running. I did go to Edit, Preferences, Reset Options, and Reset Side Windows as I read somewhere else. I close and reopen Chief and the library is in its side default location. I pop it out to the center of my screen where abouts I want it. Save, close and reopen it. Launch the library browser and there it is again, way up in the uper left corner, partly off of my screen again. It behaves until I close Chief and reopen it again. Annoying.

Let's all compare preferences and procedures.

I cannot reproduce this on my Mac version 16.2.0.47OSX

I have tried moving the Library and Project browsers to new locations and clicking the red 'x' in the upper left corner to close the current window.

I have also tried quitting and re-launching and still they are right where I left them.

Here are my prefernces, I have Chief set to 'always' store the dialog size and positions:

http://i57.tinypic.com/4llrhu.jpg

Anyone with this problem have different builds of Chief, different preferences, or a different procedure?

Kirk,

I am on a PC and have the same settings as you.

Same Chief build version.

I don't think it happens much (if at all) during the same computer session.

Even if I open and close Chief several times in the same computer session, things seem to be OK.

It is particularly noticable if I reboot and then open a new Chief session.

I am still testing the above method to see if it has permanently solved the problem.

I think I got it. The problem is with floating LBs. I dont prefer to dock it. After closing the floating library browser thats in the center of my screen, close Chief, and re-launch Chief (which would be every morning at least) then start Chief and launch the library browser, it's back up in the left corner half way off the screen again.  Then I tried docking it and doing the above and it stays in its docked position. I do have my general prefs set to always save dialog size and position, but I think thats only meant for the current session. This sounds like a bug to me.

I have tried moving the Library and Project browsers to new locations and clicking the red 'x' in the upper left corner to close the current window.

I have also tried quitting and re-launching and still they are right where I left them.

Here are my prefernces, I have Chief set to 'always' store the dialog size and positions:

Anyone with this problem have different builds of Chief, different preferences, or a different procedure?

Appreciate the effort Kirk.  My General prefs look exactly like yours with the exception of max. undos.  See attachment.

I reset the general prefs,  tested it,  same problem,  then I quit CA and tried it again,  same problem.  

CA is on main monitor.  Safari is on second monitor.  I move library browser to second monitor.  All okay.  I work on CA,  all okay.  Go to monitor 2 to respond to you,  go back to main monitor with CA,  library browser moves from screen 2 to screen 1

EDIT:  my general pref's were initially not like yours,  but I changed to match.  Using  OSX VERSION 10.9.1

That is what this discussion is about,  the library browser moving from screen 2 back to screen 1.  I want to library browser to stay on screen 2 even if I have gone to safari on screen 2 and back to screen 1.

post-50-0-47406700-1397151845_thumb.png

post-50-0-12287500-1397152025_thumb.png

I just spoke with another user who has this same issue on their Windows 8 PC.

As far as I know the position of each window is written into a single .ini file.

This may indicate that for these systems, the sizes are not being written when the application quits.

Would it be possible for the people who have posted about this problem to export their system specs and attach them here please?

These articles explain how to do that:

http://www.chiefarchitect.com/support/article/KB-01867/

http://www.chiefarchitect.com/support/article/KB-02846/

I just spoke with another user who has this same issue on their Windows 8 PC.

As far as I know the position of each window is written into a single .ini file.

This may indicate that for these systems, the sizes are not being written when the application quits.

Would it be possible for the people who have posted about this problem to export their system specs and attach them here please?

These articles explain how to do that:

http://www.chiefarchitect.com/support/article/KB-01867/

http://www.chiefarchitect.com/support/article/KB-02846/

System Spec Baehmer.txt

• Upvote 1

I noticed the wayward library browser from day one. Some days it sticks where I placed it on the second monitor, some days it doesnt.

If it decides to move for whatever reason, the thing always winds up on the top left hand of the primary monitor.

FWIW,

I have my screens setup as follows:

Main Screen - 30" Hi Res:

UL - Aerial View - Docked

LL - Project Browser - Docked

UR - Library Browser - Docked

Center - Floor Plan

Left Screen - 24" Monitor

Perspective Views

Right Screen - 24" Monitor

Orthographic Views (Elevations, Details, etc.)

I never have a problem with anything disappearing with this scheme. 

However, I find it disconcerting to have the dbx appear on a different screen than where I selected the object to open.  I need to experiment with the settings to see if I can get them to appear on the same screen as the selected object.  If that doesn't work then I'll submit a ticket to support.

Joe,

I am glad things are working for you.

My apologies, I assumed that by telling us your setup, you wanted to help solve this particular problem so I was suggesting something that may help us track the problem down. 

Don't bother changing anything if you are not trying to help and if you are happy with your setup.

Maybe you should start another thread to deal with your other topic.

Joe,

I am glad things are working for you.

My apologies, I assumed that by telling us your setup, you wanted to help solve this particular problem so I was suggesting something that may help us track the problem down. 

Don't bother changing anything if you are not trying to help and if you are happy with your setup.

Maybe you should start another thread to deal with your other topic.

I'm sorry Glenn, I was trying to help by suggesting that keeping the Browsers docked was a viable way of avoiding the problem of the Library Browser getting lost.  I realize that not everyone might want to do it my way but it does eliminate the problem.  I believe that the problem is a result of having the Library Browser undocked and located on a secondary monitor and that at some point Chief loses track of where it's supposed to be.  So my suggestion is to use the extra monitor real estate for views of the model and keep the Browsers docked on the main app window on the main screen.

I actually think that this is one of those spaghetti code things that is going to be almost impossible to untangle.  There are so many possibilities for various child or sibling windows to be left open or closed in the wrong order that Chief can easily lose track of what's supposed to be.  I think that CA has done a wonderful job of implementing multiple monitor support, but making it absolutely perfect might just never happen.  Most likely at som point Chief get's closed before the Library Browser and there's no record of where it was at that time - but that might not be the case either.

• Upvote 1

Kirk,

I have had success by doing the following:

Open the template plan (not a new plan, but the template plan).

open the LB & PB and place and save them where you want.

Save the template plan.

Even after a reboot and open Chief, the settings are remembered.

I know this will sound foolish but try this:

1.  Undock the Library Browser and place it on a secondary monitor.

2.  Close the Library Browser

3.  Save the Plan

4.  Close the Plan and open any Plan

The Library Browser will be missing.

5.  Chief did exactly what it was told to do - but the user might not realize that they told it to do this.

Of course, when you add it back using the View Menu, it will be where you had it previously.  I would guess that someting similar is happening with those who are having troubles and say that the Library Browser is disappearing.  If that's true then it's operator error, not a problem with Chief Architect.

Maybe I'm wrong - if so, I apologize to anyone that's having a problem that isn't a result of the above scenario.