Ridge Beam Causes Rafter Against House to Match-Why?

Archnot-Boltz

Dear Chief,

here again is my request to Divorce this Automatic Behavior caused by the Ridge Beam selection. In my example, I have a 3.5" wide x 14" LVL Structural Ridge Beam. My rafters are 2x10's 16" oc. In my section view, the two Rafters Against the house are always, automatically changed by Chief to match the Ridge Beam Size.

Why would I want a 3.5"x14" rafter there. I always have to change those two offending rafters, back to 2x10 lumber. If auto rebuild is on, the two rafters revert back to 3.5"x14". This has been an issue for quite a few xVersions (maybe the entire x-series, I don't recall how long I've been bitching about it). Regardless, can you please fix this behavior with a default ON/Off setting (I don't know why there would be a need for an On Setting but I don't want to ruffle another users feathers. Thanks, Brad  

Also, please note how the 14" rafter is "Birdsmouthed" because of the invisible deck railing below- you may fix that issue too if you like. I've already sent that issue to Tech Support with another drawing file but have attached a zip file for fun.

Rafters Clip WhyEye-i.jpg

Stemko-RaftersClip-RidgeRafterEffectsWallRafters.zip

• Like 1
  • Upvote 2

3 hours ago, Archnot-Boltz said:

In my section view, the two Rafters Against the house are always, automatically changed by Chief to match the Ridge Beam Size.

I believe Chief "sees" these as Wall Ledgers which by default are sized per the Ridge Default size spec's if the roof plane touches a wall,

but as noted this is hardcoded ....maybe it's better to spec the Ridge per the Rafters and just resize the ridge once auto framing is off?

....at least till it is fixed... as it would be a rare case when the wall ledger does not match the Rafter size.

M.

• Upvote 2

I'm just trying to get Chief to fix it. Once I turn off autoframe roof I just change the two rafters and walk away. I prefer to leave my ridge beam displaying correctly. One thing I haven't tried is moving those two rafters and 1/8" inch away from the wall, which would probably fix it. Maybe I'll do that on Monday. Have a nice weekend and thanks for the reply

Thus far, no one has offered a reasonable reason for this to remain as is. BB

See what happens if you stretch the roof plane to build up against the osb instead of against the siding. Maybe Chief is programmed such that if you won't draw it the way it'll be built then neither will Chief?! Who knows?

Forget all that! I got excited when i saw them switch to 1.5" thick. They just became sub-fascia. Weird though, I clicked on it and I was sure it said rafter at the bottom of the screen.

58 minutes ago, Archnot-Boltz said:

I'm just trying to get Chief to fix it.

Yep , was just giving you some info and a possible other way to do it till they do.... but it's 6 of one or 1/2 doz. of the other :)

& if you pull the roof plane to far into the wall the siding , then sheathing etc will disappear... in 3D views

M.

16 hours ago, robdyck said:

See what happens if you stretch the roof plane to build up against the osb instead of against the siding. Maybe Chief is programmed such that if you won't draw it the way it'll be built then neither will Chief?! Who knows?

Forget all that! I got excited when i saw them switch to 1.5" thick. They just became sub-fascia. Weird though, I clicked on it and I was sure it said rafter at the bottom of the screen.

Nice idea and try, thanks for the input.

15 hours ago, Kbird1 said:

Yep , was just giving you some info and a possible other way to do it till they do.... but it's 6 of one or 1/2 doz. of the other :)

& if you pull the roof plane to far into the wall the siding , then sheathing etc will disappear... in 3D views

M.

I appreciate the commentary because we all do things a bit differently. I think Chief will eventually be adding a few more user controls as they realize our needs. bb

i have asked that this be fixed for many years, we need Chief to give us separate ridge and ledger  edit boxes. Right now I just put the ridge in with the roof beam tool and leave the ridge the same size as the rafters.

Edit.     also need a way to have ,or not have, a fascia on any selected roof plane edge.

• Upvote 2