Changing multiple sono tube radii

gdesignbuild

Good evening!  I have to change some plans that have a LOT of sono tube (pier footings) for decks. It seems that I can only change the 'arc radius' of one at a time and not when selecting multiple. I've been on a bit of sabbatical but I feel like I have previously figured out a way to change all of the desired piers at one. It's just not coming back to me... Any help would be much appreciated. Thank you!

1 hour ago, gdesignbuild said:

Good evening!  I have to change some plans that have a LOT of sono tube (pier footings) for decks. It seems that I can only change the 'arc radius' of one at a time and not when selecting multiple. I've been on a bit of sabbatical but I feel like I have previously figured out a way to change all of the desired piers at one. It's just not coming back to me... Any help would be much appreciated. Thank you!

Try using the transform replicate tool to resize them all at once.  In example, you have 12” pier ftgs and you want 18” = group select them all and use the resize tool to add 50%…

3 minutes ago, rgardner said:

Try using the transform replicate tool to resize them all at once.  In example, you have 12” pier ftgs and you want 18” = group select them all and use the resize tool to add 50%…

Did you test that Ryan ?   It seems to have a fairly detrimental effect.  I think I have edited one and copied it around to the other locations before but I think I remember a discussion with Dermot about this one time but can't seem to remember what the solution was.

image.thumb.png.0b7efce3a86151e4821b34b2f5df51c3.png

18 hours ago, gdesignbuild said:

I'd suggest making your own deck foundation piers / piles that can be saved to your library. These could be rapidly placed using sticky mode and Chief's piers can be deleted. Anyone building in a region where there's frost should be adding a footing of some type underneath the pier to prevent friction uplift due to frost. Chief's auto piers for decks don't include a footing option. So library items work really well. Here's a snippet of a few I use depending on the region and builder.

The nice thing about these being in your library is you can have preset heights, depths, components, pricing, labels, etc.

We have a choice for these type of items: click our way through Chief's dialogs, then edit, or find quick ways to do repetitive tasks right the first time. And, if I need to make a wholesale change, Replace From Library is available for my footing symbols.

image.thumb.png.84c2bd2c20268696d754228f7d8919a1.png

• Upvote 1

Very nice Rob. I do it very much the same way.  Just one little clarification though, Chief's piers do have a footing option it is just that the options available are not used by anyone in my area any more that I am aware of and I am not sure there is any sort of a default for them. 

image.thumb.png.3a3073f96a5b0e3248b9d04a449eedc2.png

On 10/30/2021 at 4:45 PM, Chopsaw said:

Chief's piers do have a footing option

Yes, but not auto through the Deck Room Spec dialog, correct? And the shape of the footing follow the shape of the pier (which is simply a slab), so no square pads under piles. I've never seen a footing contractor with round pad footing forms on their trailer!

3 hours ago, robdyck said:

Yes, but not auto through the Deck Room Spec dialog, correct? And the shape of the footing follow the shape of the pier (which is simply a slab), so no square pads under piles. I've never seen a footing contractor with round pad footing forms on their trailer!

I must be missing something. Chiefs decks have a round pier with a square pad option OOTB? Or I guess we are talking post to pier to footing?
image.thumb.png.b5ef67f7cb2acc39098b17699648daae.png

1 minute ago, Renerabbitt said:

I must be missing something. Chiefs decks have a round pier with a square pad option OOTB?

No, they don't. I was demonstrating to the OP my use of my own library symbols for deck piers. Footings can be added to deck pier foundation after they're built, however the shape of the footing will follow the shape of the pier. And if auto build for decks is on, that footing will disappear when the deck is re-built.

2 minutes ago, robdyck said:

No, they don't. I was demonstrating to the OP my use of my own library symbols for deck piers. Footings can be added to deck pier foundation after they're built, however the shape of the footing will follow the shape of the pier. And if auto build for decks is on, that footing will disappear when the deck is re-built.

See me edited post, they do have that option. Seems you are specifically talking about an assembly that has a pad footing, a round pier, and a framing member to beam.
If I just want a square pad footing to pier to beam..that option is available OOTB

10 minutes ago, Renerabbitt said:

See me edited post, they do have that option. Seems you are specifically talking about an assembly that has a oad footing, a round pier, and a framing member to beam.
If I just want a square pad footing to pier to beam..that option is available OOTB

So, You've used the "post" to act as a "pier".

The deck Room Spec does not allow for a beam, post, pier and footing.

Edited by robdyck
My Bad, didn't read that thoroughly!

31 minutes ago, Renerabbitt said:

I must be missing something. Chiefs decks have a round pier with a square pad option OOTB? Or I guess we are talking post to pier to footing?

never thought of that, that will be useful for decks less than about 30" above grade.