Foundation With Furred Wall Issue

HumbleChief

Thanks you guys but not what I WAS looking for but this might be a better way to build the wall? I was thinking that we could flash that exterior ledge and it would be something that could be monitored in the future whereas a flush to the block wall would simply have stucco screed. That seems the better technique, but let's say we wanted the wall to the inside of the block, can it be done without the footing blowing through to the roof? Maybe offset the ftg.?

3 hours ago, HumbleChief said:

Thanks you guys but not what I WAS looking for but this might be a better way to build the wall? I was thinking that we could flash that exterior ledge and it would be something that could be monitored in the future whereas a flush to the block wall would simply have stucco screed. That seems the better technique, but let's say we wanted the wall to the inside of the block, can it be done without the footing blowing through to the roof? Maybe offset the ftg.?

It can be done, but it would require some workarounds. The problem also goes away with the pony wall centered. You can also place 2 walls in the same place as long as 1 of them has No Room Definition. The CMU can be a railing set to 48, the upper wall can have no room def, and manually adjust the bottom of the wall up 48". This will create a few additional hiccups.

image.thumb.png.24540dca1e8b6cfa54fad64b50e3778b.pngimage.thumb.png.fc3e582f78a4c0b9f9a5c9d7a392be7e.png

Wouldn’t making a ledge be also making an infiltration, and maintenance requiring joint all along that wall?  I would think it would be better to pull your sheathing out to outside of the CMU and having a nice rain screed to the outside of the cmu surface.

8 hours ago, rgardner said:

Wouldn’t making a ledge be also making an infiltration, and maintenance requiring joint all along that wall?  I would think it would be better to pull your sheathing out to outside if the CMU and having a nice rain screed to the outside of the cmu sirface.

Yeah I'm thinking the same thing and have changed my mind thanks to the posts here. Still don't know why that footing blows past the outside wall up to the roof.

1 hour ago, HumbleChief said:

Yeah I'm thinking the same thing and have changed my mind thanks to the posts here. Still don't know why that footing blows past the outside wall up to the roof.

Yeah haven't had time to mess with it either but it does seem odd, since the option is there to align the upper wall to the lower wall interior or center it should stop it.  Was curious what would happen if you put a minimal wall cap there.

25 minutes ago, rgardner said:

Yeah haven't had time to mess with it either but it does seem odd, since the option is there to align the upper wall to the lower wall interior or center it should stop it.  Was curious what would happen if you put a minimal wall cap there.

A -4" offset on the block/pony wall foundation keeps the ftg from extending upwards. Anything less no effect. Interesting and thank you.