Mac OS Monterey and X13 compatibility issues?

SusanC

I am unable to "Print to PDF" or "Save As" or even create a Zip file for any of my files and I am assuming this is due to the new version of Mac's operating system?  I have reported this to the help desk, I was just hoping to find out if anyone else has run into this.  

I’m thinking about upgrading to MacOS Monterey in the next day or two.  Do your follow up comments mean you are now using X13 successfully?  Able to Print to PDF? Save-As? 

What type of Mac?  Intel or M1 / Apple Silicon?

Currently for me:

2020 M1 Mac Mini 8GB

2 4K Monitors (one HDMI, one USB-C)

X13 running well

Thanks.

I am using an Apple LED Cinema display 27" with my MacBook Pro 16".  I've had the monitor for years (since 2011) and after Apple changed the connectors, I began using an adapter to connect it to my laptop (see attached).  No issues - until I upgraded to Monterey and now when I'm ready to "Save As" or "Save to PDF" or create a zip file - I'm not able to.  If I disconnect from the monitor and work using my laptop screen I have no issues - everything works normally.  I've tried plugging into an HP monitor that I've used successfully in the past and the same thing happens - it is as though the "save" button is disabled.  I am working with tech support, but so far, no solution.  

I think I'm the only one with this issue though.  As you can see, no one else has commented on this thread.

Screen Shot 2021-10-29 at 10.03.26 AM.png

Screen Shot 2021-10-29 at 8.37.57 AM.png

Hi Susan -

Thank you for sharing the details of your setup.

The cable connecting my primary monitor is USB-C (at the Mac Mini) to Displayport at the monitor.  Its function is probably similar to the Amiroko adapter...

Monterey will probably work fine - but right at the moment I'm still hesitating to install the upgrade as I'm also running on M1 / Apple Silicon instead of Intel and also haven't seen any "success" posts on ChiefTalk for that combination (MacOS Monterey / M1).  I'll post an update if/when I do upgrade to let you know if I experience the same issue with either of my external monitors.

Thanks again,

Mark

5 hours ago, SusanC said:

I am using an Apple LED Cinema display 27" with my MacBook Pro 16".  I've had the monitor for years (since 2011) and after Apple changed the connectors, I began using an adapter to connect it to my laptop (see attached).  No issues - until I upgraded to Monterey and now when I'm ready to "Save As" or "Save to PDF" or create a zip file - I'm not able to.  If I disconnect from the monitor and work using my laptop screen I have no issues - everything works normally.  I've tried plugging into an HP monitor that I've used successfully in the past and the same thing happens - it is as though the "save" button is disabled.  I am working with tech support, but so far, no solution.  

I think I'm the only one with this issue though.  As you can see, no one else has commented on this thread.

Screen Shot 2021-10-29 at 10.03.26 AM.png

Screen Shot 2021-10-29 at 8.37.57 AM.png

I used to have a similar setup a couple years back with that monster display (awesome but you could get a serious tan and fry an egg on that thing).  Anyways there was a glitch for a while at that time with the OS X amd it had to do with the startup and plug in procedure.  I believe if I remember right it was best to plug in before starting the computer and to use the side that was opposite the power side (even though you are supposed to be able to power from any of the usb c there is a certain side that does so faster and cooler.  Usually left side I believe with the 2019 16”…. However when I had that issue I was also using a power adapter to charge my mb from the other power cable.

I have 3 Apple displays connected to my MBP and a Black Magic Pro eGPU.  I have no problem saving in Monterey.  Are you using the Apple brand thunderbolt to usbc connectors?  My setup seems to be picky about only Apple ones for some reason.  Doesn’t make sense to me.  

I have two monitors connected to each other and then into my eGPU which connects to my MBP (only right side). One screen connects to the right side with a thunderbolt to usbc dongle and then power is connected to the left side.  Works well except the eGPU can’t be plugged in during a restart or the system crashes.   I have to plug it in after start up.

Thank you for the suggestions.  I have always had the power source opposite the connection to the monitor.  I tried changing sides as you suggested, but no luck.  

I do not have the Apple brand thunderbolt to usbc, but the connector I've been using is one I've had connected successfully for several years now and the monitor works just fine for everything but the save button in X13.  

Until then, Do you have a compatible TV to Mirror the screen wireless using Wifi ?

An Apple TV device will also do it.

I use a 65" 4K Sony TV to mirror when I meet customers.  

In the upper right of the OS tool bar, you'll see an icon that looks like two sliders stack on top of each other.  Click that and select Screen Mirroring.  My TV shows up there and when I select it, the TV automatically switches to Screen Mirroring, select it again and the TV switches back.

Thank you for all of the info and suggestions Greg.  

Update:  Today I met with a tech at the Genius Bar at Apple.  

1.  First thing she did was connect my MacBook Pro to her HDMI monitor using an Apple brand connector.  Successful.  No Apple Cinema display like mine in store to test with.

2.  I purchased an Apple brand connector for the MacBook Pro to Apple Cinema display thinking the Apple brand would guarantee a good connection.  Came home and discovered it was useless.  Large display could not even connect.

3.  Went back to my old connector with the MacBook Pro and the Apple Cinema display and tried mirroring the screens.  Success!  This is the work around.

4.  Also purchased an Apple brand connector for HDMI to MacBook Pro so I can connect to our HDMI monitor with no mirroring required.