Custom Countertop Height Setting and thickness Issue

Kbird1

Anyone else seeing the weirdness with the Custom Countertops, but I haven't been able to reliably reproduce the issue as yet, but when I drag it out to the full length it has a habit of snapping to the nearest object above ie. the Ceiling or and upper cabinet if there is one. (Pic.1)

It seems sometimes the "Get height and thickness from Cabinet" toggles do not work properly (Pic.2) and you need to untoggle them both and set it manually . (Pic.3)

image.thumb.png.dbef80b28502724f4b531a77f8f4a5bc.png image.thumb.png.8c3fb1297b64ac1d2357d1a71ca9fa18.png  image.thumb.png.a6be4e5ec5ae877d5383b53304af6ad5.png

image.thumb.png.b336dd9517845b4e496709beb1c8f4ef.png

Are any of those cabinets above the counter actually base cabinets?  If so, then that behavior might make sense.  If not, then I don't know why the custom countertop would not find a base cabinet below it.  You should probably submit this plan to tech support so that someone can look into this further.

10 minutes ago, Dermot said:

Are any of those cabinets actually base cabinets?  If so, then that behavior might make sense.  If not, then I don't know why the custom countertop would not find a base cabinet below it.  You should probably submit this plan to tech support so that someone can look into this further.

Yes all 5 cabinets the countertop covers are Base Cabinets, maybe it is just the sequence I am doing things in ? or some other way I work, as I can't reproduce it , so have not submitted a Case as yet , as I have a feeling it is something I am doing as it is not happening all the time or just in one plan.

image.thumb.png.efc3aec77ded004b3878aa0f1a26163e.png

Mick

38 minutes ago, glennw said:

I believe that Dermot is asking if any of the upper cabinets are actually base cabinets.

That went right over my head then :) ...but No one is a Wall and the other is a Full with bottom pulled off the Floor.....

51 minutes ago, robdyck said:

I can't replicate it, at least not quickly!

Thanks for trying Rob , starting to suspect it is me , though I do remember someone else saying something similar....

Mick

image.thumb.png.4c3d47c09575cf3b577047e97fadd607.png

37 minutes ago, Kbird1 said:

the other is a Full with bottom pulled off the Floor.....

That might be the issue right  there Mick.   That may fit Dermot's criteria.  Technically it may be a "Base" depending on how the core programming sees it.

Kind of like a roof over another roof and the software does not know what to do. ;)

Yes, thank you Glenn for clarifying what I was asking.  If any of the cabinets that you want above the custom countertop is really a base cabinet, not a wall or full height, the program could very well use it to determine the height and thickness.  In a situation like this, the best solution is to just turn off the automatic behavior and set the height and thickness to what you want.

I can think of no other reason why the custom counter would not find one of the base cabinets below it and use it for the height and thickness.  If you can repro a case where it doesn't, then please submit it to our tech support team.

On 10/27/2021 at 9:42 AM, Dermot said:

I can think of no other reason why the custom counter would not findone of the base cabinets below it  and use it for the height and thickness.

Apologies for not getting back to this sooner, busy week and I wanted to do a bit of testing here, to try and figure it out, so I used EDIT AREA to paste the Mudroom into a new Plan ( attached if anyone want's to Play ) and it is related to Base Cabinets as Dermot mentioned * , it however does NOT only apply to

Base Cabinets Below the Countertop as was also my assumption , if the Custom Countertop is "touched"  , ie top, sides, etc, by a Base Cabinet, it will "jump" to highest Base Cabinet , it does not appear to update the DBX heights though which would of let me realize what was happening earlier, it actually seems to set the bottom height as the top height in the case of the height change. ( seen in the 2 DBX images above )

In my particular case, like many others here, I use Base Cabinets for Partitions  etc as Partitions will not accept material Changes from Style Palettes, and I had forgotten that my Library of Partitions and End Panels are really Base Cabinets for this reason. As you can see in the Images below, it was fairly clear what was going on once I used the Base Cabinet Defaults to set the Base Cabinets to Tangerine :)  , just moving different elements around like the middle Partition , soon showed the top being touch caused the issue as did the Countertop touching the End Panels , though this didn't happen 100% of the time.

( Watch the snapping perhaps? ) at least not on further testing this morning.

The Fix is simple enough, I was just curious why it "seemed to happen at random" , so thanks for the replies.

Mick.

image.thumb.png.b58a86cf5c021b5b5c73248ec7fa7f5b.png image.thumb.png.32c09fc271dc1d98c6edbaef62c493eb.png

Base Cabinet Test.plan

15 hours ago, Kbird1 said:

like many others here, I use Base Cabinets for Partitions

I make partitions from the same cabinet type as they will be used. Base cabinet for base, wall cabinet for wall, tall for tall. Helps if need different defaults for type and tidier in schedules since it's in keeping with how mgf's classify them.

7 hours ago, MarkMc said:

partitions from the same cabinet type as they will be used. Base cabinet for base, wall cabinet for wall, tall for tall

That's what I have in my Library for my Plans but this was a New Project for a new Client ( their template) and I hadn't made them all yet,

as I was just throwing things in ready to make changes once I got some answers on depths etc. , so I just used one I had in the plan

already and copied it along the wall as needed , which may explain why I see this happening randomly , as I was not expecting base cabinets

not under the Top to also effect it.

M.