Graphics card for Chief

TriDiWorx

Go to solution Solved by Kbird1,

Hello!

I might be soon buying a new high end laptop for work. Chief would be one of the use cases. Graphically probably the most demanding for now.

I saw the minimum and recommended requirements for PC and laptops in Chief. I will be aiming for at least the recommended values.

Are professional grade graphics cards also good with Chief? I have no experience with professional cards.

For example one laptop I was looking at had RTX A2000. Does anyone know will this be a good card for Chief or is it better to aim for something like RTX 3080?

Dermot-

Not trying to hi-jack this thread but I was working on the toolbar issues I was having Taylor from CA- and while it is not entirely based on my older video card, there were a few things that he pointed out that could be helped with a new card.

He mentioned an Nvidia RTX 2k series should be adequate since psychically based raytracing is not a big priority to me.

That said, do you see anything else in my specs that are of concern before I upgrade the card?

Much appreciated.

• Solution
On 10/26/2021 at 8:54 AM, TriDiWorx said:

Hello!

I might be soon buying a new high end laptop for work. Chief would be one of the use cases. Graphically probably the most demanding for now.

I saw the minimum and recommended requirements for PC and laptops in Chief. I will be aiming for at least the recommended values.

Are professional grade graphics cards also good with Chief? I have no experience with professional cards.

For example one laptop I was looking at had RTX A2000. Does anyone know will this be a good card for Chief or is it better to aim for something like RTX 3080?

CA has always recommended the Nvidia Gaming Cards like the GTX and now RTX 2000 or 3000 Series , as CA does not take advantage of the extra Hardware in Pro. Cards like the Quadro's or now newer A-Series.

However other Software can and will ...if you run the likes of Blender, or Eng. Programs etc. etc

Check out the List of Programs supported by by Nvidia's Studio Drivers (vs Game Ready) for more examples.

Mick. 

Just to be clear, I don't see how a new video card will have much of an affect on any toolbar issues.

As a general rule, I try to avoid giving out any recommendations about specific video cards.

I will say this though, if you are not interested in the new real-time raytracing features in X13, then you probably do not need to buy a video card that supports it. They are somewhat expensive and a bit hard to get at this time.

You do need to make sure you buy a video card that meets the minimum system requirements for X13 though.  For more information, please see this web page:

https://www.chiefarchitect.com/products/sysreq.html

Buying a better than minimum video card can also improve your performance for creating and working in all camera views, even cross section/elevation views and even if you never use anything other than plain old vector views.  You should consider your return on your investment though because the difference between a low end card and mid range card is probably going to have much bigger impact on your performance than the difference between a mid range card and a high end card.  Only you can decide if the extra cost is actually worth it.

10 hours ago, RL-inc said:

Much appreciated-

Will look at Nvidia RTX 2k series

Maybe worth looking locally 2nd hand in that case , bound to be Gamers Upgrading if you are lucky.  EVGA will allow Warranty transfers to 2nd owners....

Mick.

Thanks for the info who answered. I will look a bit into game ready and studio drivers info before I decide. Probably will try to lean towards RTX 30 series if Chief does not take much advantage from pro cards. I would gladly stay on my desktop that I have right now, but I think mobility will soon be an important factor in my work. Also having a single computer for working in the office and at home would be much easier so laptop becomes a better choice. 

It would have been nicer if the thread was not hijacked at the start so it would be easier to understand who is talking about what, but it will do.

Thanks.