Stairs display

djhplanning

Go to solution Solved by MPDesign,

2 minutes ago, djhplanning said:

Wouldn't this be more of a temporary thing and also show all of the lower walls, etc?  I want just the stairs to show and be a permanent part of my final upper level floor plan.

Read the help file on reference display and what you can use it for.

Here is a good video to help as well.  https://www.chiefarchitect.com/videos/watch/5435/using-the-reference-display.html

16 hours ago, jasonN said:

draw it from the upper level. I got it to show on my upper level, I think that is how i  did it. only problem is the piles showed on the fist level (instead of the foundation level

image.thumb.png.c7864bf3a02703ba7109a4c5773c57b3.png

image.thumb.png.42063f87eda567c7da058895ae7a9701.png

This won't work because now the stairs don't show on the main level.  

16 hours ago, rgardner said:

Read the help file on reference display and what you can use it for.

Here is a good video to help as well.  https://www.chiefarchitect.com/videos/watch/5435/using-the-reference-display.html

Thanks, watched the video but the video seams to address a remodeling situation where you want to show the existing plan vs. new plan.  I played around some with reference display, if I use reference display and only turn on the stairs, I don't get the railing to show up and then I can't use reference display again while working on the the plan to line up walls, etc. unless I then turn on all of those reference layers again.  

6 hours ago, glennw said:

Create an Open Below room on the upper floor, around the stairs, with invisible walls.

Tried this and it seamed to kinda work but will create problems with other things in 3D view, and in my case, the roof was creating a problem and I had to put a wall up against the house wall which created a double wall with my exterior door trim.

Screen Shot 2021-10-26 at 11.03.56 AM.png

Screen Shot 2021-10-26 at 11.04.21 AM.png

5 hours ago, MPDesign said:

Hey Dan,

Another option that I use is make a cad detail from view, delete everything but the stairs and block, copy, paste and hold position on the floor plan. Make sure to put it on the stairs layer.

Thanks everyone for your input.  There doesn't seam to be an easy answer without creating another problem.  I think Micheal may have the simplest idea in showing with cad lines and adjusting if needed if the stairs are moved.  You would think that the stairs dialog box would include a simple setting option to show stairs on floor above or floor below.  

Actually, the best method is to use a "Saved Plan View" with a "Referenced LayerSet" containing just the Layers you want to see (Stairs, etc).  It should be set as "Floor Below" or "Floor 1" and the "Details" Box should be checked for that view.

You can have as many "Referenced LayerSets" as you want and they can be set to display any floor.  Just make sure you have the correct "LayerSet" specified for each.

The advantage of using this method is that it's always current with the model.  Relying on CAD provides no guarantees.

I played around some with reference display, if I use reference display and only turn on the stairs, I don't get the railing to show up and then I can't use reference display again while working on the the plan to line up walls, etc. unless I then turn on all of those reference layers again.  

I believe you can solve both of these issues using reference display and it will be "live" unlike using the cad detail solution posted above.

You can use a separate layer set for your reference display that only displays the stairs from the other floor.  You should turn off "XOR drawing" and turn on "Details" to make sure they display the way you want them too, including the railing details.

If you take advantage of saved plan views, you can setup one showing the stairs as you want them for your construction documents and a separate one displaying walls from other floors that you can use for alignment and editing purposes.

stair referemce display.png

1 hour ago, Dermot said:

I believe you can solve both of these issues using reference display and it will be "live" unlike using the cad detail solution posted above.

You can use a separate layer set for your reference display that only displays the stairs from the other floor.  You should turn off "XOR drawing" and turn on "Details" to make sure they display the way you want them too, including the railing details.

If you take advantage of saved plan views, you can setup one showing the stairs as you want them for your construction documents and a separate one displaying walls from other floors that you can use for alignment and editing purposes.

stair referemce display.png

Thanks, I will play around with this some more.

4 hours ago, djhplanning said:

Thanks, watched the video but the video seams to address a remodeling situation where you want to show the existing plan vs. new plan.  I played around some with reference display, if I use reference display and only turn on the stairs, I don't get the railing to show up and then I can't use reference display again while working on the the plan to line up walls, etc. unless I then turn on all of those reference layers again.  

You can set an infinite amounts of reference displays.  Look closer at the dbx and set your reference display to what you want to see.

Is it possible of a lower level stair set with a break line to appear without the break line in the reference display?  Showing the break on the upper level isn't correct IMHO.  I would like it to appear as a full stair, just as it does in an open below situation. Two stairs on different layers, one with a break line, one without?  

The best way to show the stair break line differently between the lower and upper floor is by using the display options built into the stair tools (not using reference display).  This means that you will need to make sure the stair is in an open below room on the floor above.  If you need this for a stair that is outside of the building, you should try Glenn's solution of creating an open below room using invisible walls.

stair break line display.png

Tried this and it seamed to kinda work but will create problems with other things in 3D view, and in my case, the roof was creating a problem and I had to put a wall up against the house wall which created a double wall with my exterior door trim.

The open below room using invisible walls should work and will also allow you to keep the model "live".  You should probably not create a double wall using invisible walls.  If you turn off the roof/ceiling for the open below room, it should not affect your existing roof.  The invisible walls can also be put on a hidden layer if you don't want to see them in your plan.

The bottom line is that there are a variety of solutions that should work, but each one may have some limitations and/or benefits compared to the others.  I recommend that you choose the one that best fits your needs and skills:

1. creating an open below room using invisible walls.

2. displaying the stairs from the floor below using the reference display.

3. creating a duplicate stair (or maybe even a stair symbol) for the floor above.

4. manually drawing the stair detail using cad tools.

18 hours ago, Dermot said:

The best way to show the stair break line differently between the lower and upper floor is by using the display options built into the stair tools (not using reference display).  This means that you will need to make sure the stair is in an open below room on the floor above.  If you need this for a stair that is outside of the building, you should try Glenn's solution of creating an open below room using invisible walls.

stair break line display.png

This is how I have been handling it.  People seem to use the reference set to show stairs so I was hoping 
I was missing something.

Thank you,

2 hours ago, MoeGia said:

This is how I have been handling it.  People seem to use the reference set to show stairs so I was hoping 
I was missing something.

Thank you,

For exterior stairs I don't show a breakline generally so that is why I use a reference display.  But Glen's method of using an open below room works really well in most cases if you need to show that breakline or not.)

I have been watching this thread with interest.  I do a lot of basement apartments. (With real-estate prices becoming stratospheric, there is often the need for the basement apartment income to actually afford a house, especially for young first-time buyers.)  

In the design of the apartment, quite often there is a split-level entrance that is somewhere between the basement floor elevation and the first-floor elevation.  That split level door is awkward to display because it only shows up on either the plan view of the basement or the plan view of the first floor.  Not an ideal situation.  

Using a reference display, the door could be seen in both plan views if that door is on a separate layer set (for the door, door label...) 

This can be quite time consuming if you had to do this for several different classes of objects.

1713029051_DoorLayerSet.thumb.jpg.6a9d2d13d6cee5431c74b67fd8d9fa1d.jpg