Windows 11 - Chief using dedicated graphics card

johnny

So i bought a new laptop for presenting models to clients out of office - it has a RTX 3080 dedicated video card/chip.

When I got the laptop it had Windows 10 installed - i operated for a bit in that and everything worked fine.  I then upgraded to Window 11.  Since that time, and even though i updated all my drivers for the video card, Chief (and only Chief) doesn't seem to be using the dedicated video card....rather the integrated graphics chip in the system.

Anyone else having a similar issue - or know how to fix this?

1 hour ago, johnny said:

So i bought a new laptop for presenting models to clients out of office - it has a RTX 3080 dedicated video card/chip.

When I got the laptop it had Windows 10 installed - i operated for a bit in that and everything worked fine.  I then upgraded to Window 11.  Since that time, and even though i updated all my drivers for the video card, Chief (and only Chief) doesn't seem to be using the dedicated video card....rather the integrated graphics chip in the system.

Anyone else having a similar issue - or know how to fix this?

Should be able to designate this in geforce experience. Might be worth setting up a profile for chief in GeForce. You could also do this through display settings.

2 hours ago, Renerabbitt said:

Should be able to designate this in geforce experience. Might be worth setting up a profile for chief in GeForce. You could also do this through display settings.

Yeah, I've made sure that all the settings for this is correct, and even inside Chief it shows the 3080 being used.  However, I know its not being used.  Even in the most basic Standard mode is painfully slow.

Are you using Windows 11?

2 hours ago, MarkMc said:

Did you try Windows Graphic settings? I think starting with Win 10 you need it set there, at least that's what I've been doing.

image.thumb.png.7e2c918a3eac327ef58cb3ea640e3766.png

Yep, I've put Chief in there and set it to use the "High Performance" but there isn't any difference.  Are you using Windows 11?

19 minutes ago, johnny said:

Yeah, I've made sure that all the settings for this is correct, and even inside Chief it shows the 3080 being used.  However, I know its not being used.  Even in the most basic Standard mode is painfully slow.

You could of course prove this by using the performance tab in your task management window. If Chief says it's using the card I'd say the issue lies elsewhere.

31 minutes ago, johnny said:

Yep, I've put Chief in there and set it to use the "High Performance" but there isn't any difference.  Are you using Windows 11?

You might want to check with Perry.  I know he's using Windows 11 and an RTX3000 series.  Not sure about the Laptop.  

On 10/25/2021 at 4:52 PM, johnny said:

No I'm not. Ran acrss something this AM about VBS causing issues if enabled. Search MSInfo32, look at the bottom for Virtualization-Based Security, if enabled then disable. Maybe?