Schedule column "Side Finish" not populating correctly.

SusanC

Schedules question:  

I am setting up my Schedules template and would like the "Side Finish" column to populate automatically.  I read through the "Help section for the dbx" and it appears I need to make sure that each cabinet has "Auto Finish" turned on for the Left side and the Right side.  I've done all of that, but the schedule doesn't seem to reflect that the tall cabinet should be finished on L & R and the wall cabinet should be finished only on the L.  I wonder if I am missing a step?  Any suggestions?

Thanks,

Susan

Screen Shot 2021-10-23 at 5.44.30 PM.png

Screen Shot 2021-10-23 at 5.47.27 PM.png

Not really sure if that is a bug or not but you can get your schedule to work by using "Finished" rather than "Auto Finished".

Maybe monitor the comments from the kitchen gurus to see if that is something that should be brought to Chief's attention or not.

The auto finished sides is probably not going to work the way you want it to in all situations.  In the case of the full height cabinet, the program sees that it is next to the base cabinets and thinks the side should be unfinished because it doesn't consider that there is a portion of the side that is exposed.  In the case of the wall cabinet, the program is completely ignoring the full height cabinet which is why it thinks it should be finished.  In both cases, you will need to override the automatic behavior by manually changing the side from auto finished to finished (as suggested by Chopsaw).

Bug or program limitation that has basically always been there?  Doesn't really matter.  If it doesn't work the way you think it should, then you should report it to us.  The more people that ask, the more it will move up on our todo list.

Thanks Dermot, I appreciate your response.  I'll put in a request to have the "auto finish" changed to detect tall cabinets as well.  Chief's schedules are really helpful to everyone who works on our projects.  I'm just trying to take advantage of populating columns automatically wherever possible.  Susan

I posted to your suggestion. I am amazed that I have not seen more folks asking for this over the years, made me feel like a voice in the wilderness. This is NOT an X13 problem, I've sent this in every year during testing since it's been around.

22 hours ago, Dermot said:

Bug or program limitation that has basically always been there?  Doesn't really matter. 

Well if you are the KD that gets bitten by this it does matter, a lot. Yeah it's always been there and I agree it's not a bug. It's a complete failure. It would be better if there were no auto finish than playing a hide and seek game to find out how is it is not working in this version.

25 yrs ago that other program had a feature called Enhancer and one thing you could do with that was select Finished Left (or right or both) and go around the floor plan and click on a cabinet. The label would change to show the finished side, from W2136 to W21236-FL. It would also change it on the order (schedule)

About 20 or 21 yrs ago they just made auto sides work. I discussed this in an extensive email thread with Chief staff back in X6.

Auto finished sides have never worked in CA.

In case anyone comes across this and is interested.

Current Solution I use.

The fastest and safest work around I've found is to:

1. Make an OIP field "F_Sides", in the default for each type of cabinet fill that out with FL; FR.
  2. Then wait until everything is place properly. IF you are doing a second version using Save As wait until that is done.
  3. Then make sure your preference is set to open to the last tab used.
  4. Finally, go around the plan and open each cabinet that needs to be change and delete the unwanted finished sides.
  5. IF by chance you miss deleting one it will cost a few bucks extra (less than $50) as opposed if you miss placing a finished side it will cost you a skin and labor OR if frameless it will cost you a cabinet.

An alternative is using Style Palettes. You can set a SP to overwrite ALL of the OIP fields. This is fine IF you are not using other fields OR if you use a series of SP that have ALL of the OIP fields you need filled in. But if you have other OIP fields filled in it's a problem.  I use SP to fill in all my OIP fields, mods in particular, in cabinets that I use often but not for just sides.

Alternatively you could use one of the OOB fields (Comment, Component Code, Description, Manufacturer, Supplier) if you are not using that field otherwise. Just rename the field in your schedule. Then, for instance, you could have 3 Style Palettes all using the Supplier field. One each for  FL, FR, and FL; FR.

Hi Mark,

I had a feeling you would know the history of this one!  For now I've set all of my cabinet defaults to have "Unfinished Left", "Unfinished Right", and "Unfinished Back" and we manually go in and change the side that needs to be finished to "Finished".  At least this way it populates in the schedule so we see it when we are checking our schedule against the acknowledgement from the cabinet company.  I was just hoping to save a manual labor step and have it work automatically.  Thank you for your sharing your work arounds.  :)  

Susan

• Upvote 1