How does one deploy a Blum cabinet door lift system in an upper? Both single panel, and bi-fold...

DIYJon

I have the Blum hardware library, but as I'm new to integrating custom hinges in cabinets, I'm fumbling through this process to achieve the look I want.

I can easily create an upper cabinet with two "drawers" so to speak that look something like a vertical bi-fold like this one:

https://www.google.com/url?sa=i&url=https%3A%2F%2Fwww.kitchencraft.com%2Fproducts%2Fcabinet-interiors%2Fbi-fold-cabinet-doors&psig=AOvVaw0rI4x1E-Vt0TJXWGBhaAxy&ust=1634958933142000&source=images&cd=vfe&ved=0CAsQjRxqFwoTCOjVt-WG3fMCFQAAAAAdAAAAABAE

I'm also trying to figure out how to create this type of cabinet door:

https://www.google.com/url?sa=i&url=https%3A%2F%2Fwww.pinterest.com%2Fpin%2F161144492906311157%2F&psig=AOvVaw0iIp-njHKBBG7GSvGmd4_P&ust=1634956939551000&source=images&cd=vfe&ved=0CAsQjRxqFwoTCKD9767_3PMCFQAAAAAdAAAAABBB

Any help would be appreciated.  Thanks!

Searching for "Blum Aventos" results in only my post.  If I search for Blum Aventos I get some more responses, but I'm not finding the "how to".

I think I need to start with how to create a folding door (like a bi-fold closet door) that's horizontal instead of vertical.

1 hour ago, DIYJon said:

I think I need to start with how to create a folding door

Can't make one that works in Chief.

Even if you could can't control the angle of opening to match what the hardware does which can mater if close to ceiling with some of those.

You can make a door symbol that is two doors joined together.

You can make a second symbol that is the door open, then play with layers and sets to go back and forth between the two. I've rarely bothered with this, usually for sliding pocket doors, and settle for a detail if need be.

OK, I did a search and found nothing, but others have suggested being able to hinge a door horizontally on a cabinet, which means in Chieftalk, a door that can have the appropriate opening indicators, and even can be shown in the open and part-opened position.

Not there in Chief but it's been asked for.  Maybe in 14, who knows.  One can hope.

So for a single, use a door, I know you gotta term it RH or LH, but control the display in the door spec dialog so the opening indicator does not display.  Then use CAD to draw the indicator of your choice, an arrow to indicate one that rotates out and then goes vertically up, or a regular "V" dashed line to indicate horizontal hinging.  For a hinged Aventos-hardware bifold, use drawerfronts as you already observed and tried, and draw the indicators how you want them to look.

Currently, Chief supports right, left, top, and bottom hinging for cabinet doors.  We don't support bifold, sliding, pocket, or any other kinds of cabinet doors.  If you would like us to support other types of door hinging, then you might want to submit a feature request for the type(s) you would like. 

You may or may not be able to get something that looks close to what you want by using multiple doors or by using a door symbol.  This all depends on what you need to show on your plans and how accurate you need the model.  The cabinet on the right side of the picture below is just using two doors, one top hinge and one bottom, with the knob removed from one.

cab door hinging.png

• Upvote 1

• 1 month later...

Dermot. Yes I vote for pocket doors and bifold Aventos HF.  We are using both more and more.  For cabinet pocket doors we are doing some hidden bars/pantry units that need to have a set of cabinets inside.  Would be nice to be nest cabinets "inside" a cabinet and have it show with the pocket doors open and retracted.  There would have to be a way to get the pocket cavity to show properly too.

4 hours ago, justinorwig said:

Dermot. Yes I vote for pocket doors and bifold Aventos HF.  We are using both more and more.  For cabinet pocket doors we are doing some hidden bars/pantry units that need to have a set of cabinets inside.  Would be nice to be nest cabinets "inside" a cabinet and have it show with the pocket doors open and retracted.  There would have to be a way to get the pocket cavity to show properly too.

Although this is a great suggestion and one that may or may not be able to easily program into the cabinet module.  It can be modeled and showed currently using style palettes or even custom doors with cabinet doors on different layers.  Check out this recent challenge and explanation video by @Renerabbitt

This should be able to get you going on how to do so.

5 hours ago, justinorwig said:

Yes I vote for pocket doors

You can do these in a couple of ways, all require multiple layersets. If standard view is suitable then you can do this with 2 plans and a reference layer for the guts and turning cabinet doors on and off.

Images show reference layer used, both cabinets are in the exact same place on each plan. One has the guts, the other has the cabinet. This requires two custom door symbols with various origin offsets- bit tricky.

NOTE you can get away with increasing the depths of the cabinet and the symbol looks ok in the open door configuration as long as you don't go too far. You can't reduce it and have it look ok. Same goes for width but the retracted doors either embed into the wall or shrink so there are limits.

image.thumb.png.fbc71c65e34ce2cd68530bd5abd81725.png      image.thumb.png.36d19202136fb7b666dcb3b9cde5082f.png

Edit to show inset so doors actually insert, or you have to adjust top and bottom rails-busy making pumpkin pie oops.

If you need a rendering technique other than standard then you need to make all of the guts as symbols then figure out how to swap between showing and hiding. Easiest is likely make the guts a symbol on it's own layer that rather than part of a cabinet.

image.png

24 minutes ago, MarkMc said:

You can do these in a couple of ways, all require multiple layersets. If standard view is suitable then you can do this with 2 plans and a reference layer for the guts and turning cabinet doors on and off.

Images show reference layer used, both cabinets are in the exact same place on each plan. One has the guts, the other has the cabinet. This requires two custom door symbols with various origin offsets- bit tricky.

NOTE you can get away with increasing the depths of the cabinet and the symbol looks ok in the open door configuration as long as you don't go too far. You can't reduce it and have it look ok. Same goes for width but the retracted doors either embed into the wall or shrink so there are limits.

image.thumb.png.fbc71c65e34ce2cd68530bd5abd81725.png      image.thumb.png.36d19202136fb7b666dcb3b9cde5082f.png

Edit to show inset so doors actually insert, or you have to adjust top and bottom rails-busy making pumpkin pie oops.

If you need a rendering technique other than standard then you need to make all of the guts as symbols then figure out how to swap between showing and hiding. Easiest is likely make the guts a symbol on it's own layer that rather than part of a cabinet.

image.png

or simply make a custom door symbol for the back of the cabinet and open and close the front doors???

16 minutes ago, rgardner said:

or simply make a custom door symbol for the back of the cabinet and open and close the front doors???

Not really since IRL the retracted doors always stick out a bit so inserting into the back will show with the doors closed. You can do it that way using different layers.

I had a little wait time on the pie and your mention of Rene's and Style Palettes led me to try that. I hadn't thought of using SPs for that, partly since I have not run across one since I started using palettes for cabinets but that is the way to go. Just make a palette of closed doors and another for retracted. Only one click to change and simpler than swapping layers and ref sets and will work with any render technique.

Similar strategy could be used for the various lift up doors.

11 minutes ago, MarkMc said:

Not really since IRL the retracted doors always stick out a bit so inserting into the back will show with the doors closed.

Very true and yes I think style palettes would be really the way to go.  But if you are needing to show them in elevations and basically in 3d (although not accurate you could easily make the doors as part of the rear "door".

31 minutes ago, rgardner said:

easily make the doors as part of the rear "door".

I use rear doors a lot going back as far as I can remember, but in this case I made the retracted version a shelf, simpler to configure and resize.

Image shows cabinet used to make shelf, then each cabinet after hitting with SP. Elevations and 3D are fine, plan is fine for closed but not for open-not really a good way to do open but then I don't think it's needed. The annoying part was the doors since they need to reverse and the symbols seem to be handled differently by Chief.

image.thumb.png.3575bf69b38cbdb70181eb15fc404254.png

• Like 1

Just to be clear, mentioning something you would like in a random chieftalk post is not the same as making a suggestion.  If you would like to make a suggestion, I recommend using the suggestions forum or contacting our tech support department directly:

https://chieftalk.chiefarchitect.com/forum/8-suggestions/

https://www.chiefarchitect.com/support/#contact