Help with blind corner accessories

emmabrownnn

I am completing an assignment and am looking to optimize storage in blind corners. I have rev-a-shelf catalogue installed but all options are circular and only provide storage to the accessible door space inside the cabinet (making the rest of the space still unusable. Looking for suggestions as to how I can create or add an accessory, or if there is a catalogue that contains something like a half moon shelf. Please help! 

12 hours ago, emmabrownnn said:

I am completing an assignment and am looking to optimize storage in blind corners.

First consider-what is being stored where, then frontage from corner to sink or dw and frontage to range. (There are kitchens where the best answer can be to use a corner range or sink instead. Both are not always popular with clients and either should ideally be recessed)

Then do some math. Get the specs for ALL options for blind corners form MFG web site- Hafele and Rev-A-Shelf.

Calculate usable shelf space for ALL of the cabinets in each run of every config your are considering using the MFG info for the blind corner options available.

While you are at it look at not using a blind corner (and NO not a lazy susan) instead kill the corner and look at how to optimize the cabinets you can fit in the run.. About half the time killing a corner allows you to get better and more storage with some thought.

12 hours ago, emmabrownnn said:

how I can create or add an accessory,

You could create a symbol which gets to be pretty advanced. When I was learning to do that I printed out the pages for symbols, the origins and stretch planes in the Reference Manual (get the PDF). How the symbol is configured once made depends on how you want to use it and where.

Making some symbols operable can be a challenge

IRL often the most practical answer can be to draw something in 2d in plan and add notes in the schedule and maybe the plan. Even if making a symbol you want it to be listed in the schedule.

13 hours ago, emmabrownnn said:

like a half moon shelf

That said for the specific half moon you asked about I'd make it from a custom countertop since it can have a molding built right into it for the edge.

The easiest way to use that would be as a shelf. You still have to fiddle with the origin and stretch planes to make it work in a blind. (you also can't have a vertical separation in the middle of the face. I don't know if it would work with an automatic blind since I never ever use those)

image.thumb.png.d90ff645b52be43caf95ba8fc82c4ff2.pngimage.thumb.png.c7f2e35e42ca6bf2f155d66a46277ff9.png

To have it open with the door you need to use a Door Back Insert in the face item DBX. I find these trickier to configure than normal symbols. They attach to the back of the door, not the back of the cabinet (I like the old name and location better myself) Below are the configurations I used for these.

image.thumb.png.1131bad5a16ae3c647bce55849c79c4a.pngimage.thumb.png.3583db01f5853a668e57e2b934f83a9c.png

If you decide to try to learn symbol making there are examples scattered around in Tips and Symbols -mostly older threads.

Here are the simplest possible results from left to right- the custom countertop before converting to symbol, used as a shelf, altered to use as DBI, then one of each. (to have to DBI you either need two symbols with different Z origin or one symbol with both in it.)

image.thumb.png.3db99bde523cf709517e53fbbb66cc2d.png

• Upvote 1