New Computer Monitor: Higher Resolution or Higher Refresh?

LaurenMM

Hello, I am new to Chief (AutoCAD & 2020 user here...), however, I am purchasing a new 32" computer monitor. Since Chief is going to now become my 'primary' program, I'm asking for advice on whether I should purchase the Samsung 3840 x 2160 with a 60Hz resolution or an LG 2560 x 1440, 4k with a 75Hz. 

Any advice on which would be most beneficial for Chief, would be appreciated!  

Thank you in advance. 

That's a bit of a tough choice because these are both important features to consider.  In general, I think that the higher resolution would be a more noticeable improvement than the higher refresh rate.   Disregarding any other differences between Samsung and LG, I would probably choose the higher resolution.

Here is an article talking about the differences between 60 and 75 Hz refresh rates:

https://www.viewsonic.com/library/tech/60-hz-vs-75-hz-refresh-rates-whats-the-difference/

And here is another one discussing the various resolutions and aspect ratios:

https://www.viewsonic.com/library/tech/monitor-resolution-aspect-ratio/

Hope this helps.

• Upvote 1

25 minutes ago, LaurenMM said:

@Joe_Carrick   Thank you! 

I was going to purchase: NVIDIA GeForce RTX 2060 Dedicated Video Memory 6GB. Intel Core i7 - 16GB Memory - NVIDIA GeForce RTX 2060 - 512GB SSD + 1TB HDD

Would that be sufficient, do you think?   

Yes, that's what I'm using on my desktop.  I also have a Laptop that has a 3000 series card.  Both work fine for my purposes.

1 hour ago, LaurenMM said:

Hello, I am new to Chief (AutoCAD & 2020 user here...), however, I am purchasing a new 32" computer monitor. Since Chief is going to now become my 'primary' program, I'm asking for advice on whether I should purchase the Samsung 3840 x 2160 with a 60Hz resolution or an LG 2560 x 1440, 4k with a 75Hz. 

Another 2020 refugee, welcome:) I came from there some while ago. The 3840 x 2160 is 4K, 2560 x 1440 is 2k.

I have both resolutions a bit smaller than you are looking at as I prefer multiple screens. I gradually switched all of mine to Flicker Free and low Blue Light which I find matters more that the slight difference in Hz. I got the 4K thinking that it would be easier on the eyes but I have found it's not. I don't like how text gets once the resolution multiplier is factored in. I suggest you go and look in person at a brick and mortar, play with display settings on both.

I have a 2070S in my laptop and it's ok. Even though that is a high watt for a laptop it doesn't hold a candle to the 3070. I don't behave well though and often have a lot open. The difference in speed for Real Time Ray Trace is significant enough to justify the cost IMO, if you will be doing a lot of that.

1 hour ago, LaurenMM said:

@Joe_Carrick   Thank you! 

I was going to purchase: NVIDIA GeForce RTX 2060 Dedicated Video Memory 6GB. Intel Core i7 - 16GB Memory - NVIDIA GeForce RTX 2060 - 512GB SSD + 1TB HDD

Would that be sufficient, do you think?   

I am running the 2070 in a laptop. Does the job well on my end. I also set up a 16gb  virtual drive to run CA. Seems to be a bit quicker on the library searches and does better as the plans get larger. 

@Joe_Carrick Thank you so much for your input & help! 

@Dermot Thank you for your input and the links provided; I will read each to learn more!

@MarkMc Haha... yes, a 2020 Refugee! I'm hoping to pickup on Chief quickly as my workload grows and I feel I have no time to slow down, to learn from scratch! 

Thank you also for your detailed input; I really appreciate this. 

@Gr8trim4u Awesome; thank you!! 

Dual 1440p @ 32" is worth considering , one for drawing and one for everything else...PDFs, Emails etc etc....

I use Benq Flicker Free 32" Monitor@75hz (VA Panels not IPS ) from their CAD/CAM Line but there are alot more Choices available today

M.