Physically Based camera background color

Larry_Sweeney

What background have you applied to the camera?  Try different ones... but also try different sun intensity settings.
I've never been able to get a bright background with PBR, but my backgrounds don't show as gray unless I don't have a background selected.

For what it's worth...When I want the background to pop more, I've always resorted to the billboard background method

11 hours ago, Larry_Sweeney said:

Is there a place to adjust the background color when using the Physically Based camera view? All I seem to get is a dull grey background. I've tried doing searches on the subject, but I've come up with nothing.

I think the Dull Grey means you haven't applied the Background yet, is it off and just set to white or some other color ?

and brighter the Sun ( eg max 100,000 lumens) the darker the grey usually...

leaving it at 100,000 will "blow-out" the image even with a background as seen in Pic #2. , turn the Sun down into the single digit 1000"s.

image.thumb.png.76ef530095acc1175cfa1ae78a013b3f.png image.thumb.png.ed7026290202208972457ca6b5ca9871.png image.thumb.png.0102e57a94aae5247816ee26622e8629.png

• Upvote 1

What I've been finding is that the colors from the  background seem to taint the colors on my models. Even just using the blue sky affects my colors. I've also had issues with the shadows showing as almost solid black with no gradations in certain instances. I've noticed this in X13 and don't recall if it was an issue with x12.

On 10/22/2021 at 4:22 AM, Archnot-Boltz said:

What I've been finding is that the colors from the  background seem to taint the colors on my models. Even just using the blue sky affects my colors. I've also had issues with the shadows showing as almost solid black with no gradations in certain instances. I've noticed this in X13 and don't recall if it was an issue with x12.

Color cast has always been an issue with PBR Cameras unfortunately , so you can't usually use backgrounds with strong color like autumn leaves (orange) or masses of trees (green) and you need to set the Sun's Lumens really low ie single digit thousands usually. In X13 we now have the Daytime intensity Drop which helps too, knock a zero off it, to start . ( 7000 default )  you could try turning off Raycast Shadows in some cases to "soften" the shadows.

image.thumb.png.512c6011ad38ddf8d6d68260493be858.png

Mick and Mark ..................... Sorry for not replying before this. I've been tied up with some other projects not related to CA projects. Thanks for the "heads up". I've had a slow start using PBR. It can be very frustrating and time consuming for me. I'll play around with your suggestions and let you know how they turn out. Have a great day.

On 10/22/2021 at 10:28 AM, Kbird1 said:

Color cast has always been an issue with PBR Cameras unfortunately , so you can't usually use backgrounds with strong color like autumn leaves (orange) or masses of trees (green) and you need to set the Sun's Lumens really low ie single digit thousands usually. In X13 we now have the Daytime intensity Drop which helps too, knock a zero off it, to start . ( 7000 default )  you could try turning of Raycast Shadows in some cases to "soften" the shadows.

image.thumb.png.512c6011ad38ddf8d6d68260493be858.png

And @Archnot-Boltz in rendering technique options, under exposure simply turn off “use background” (when a background is applied) and it will leave the background image, but no longer use it for ambient light projection. 
Also adjusting sun intensity is not necessary. The backdrop intensity is where it is at. For an interior shot start in the 100-500 range.

if you rotate your sun so that it is facing the camera then the backdrop will no longer be illuminated by the sun and you can turn the backdrop intensity back up. 

• Upvote 1