Window sizes

BruceKC

In our area of the country, window sizes are called out by "glass size", I'm not sure if this is common everywhere.  Therefore a 2460 casement would mean glass size is 24" wide by 60" tall.  Is there  a way to get Chief to use glass sizes rather than frame sizes?  I understand I can add the frame size in and then manually change the labels on each window, but that seems like a lot of work.  Anyone know if this can be done?

25 minutes ago, BruceKC said:

In our area of the country, window sizes are called out by "glass size", I'm not sure if this is common everywhere.  Therefore a 2460 casement would mean glass size is 24" wide by 60" tall.  Is there  a way to get Chief to use glass sizes rather than frame sizes?  I understand I can add the frame size in and then manually change the labels on each window, but that seems like a lot of work.  Anyone know if this can be done?

It's not common anywhere that I know of. I think you'll need to contact a macro guru to make you an automatic label for that function or (in the meantime) you could simply add a note to your plan set that explains your window labels. Doing it manually would not be an option IMO. Too much chance for error!

Hi Robert, thanks for the information.  We downloaded the Andersen window catalogs, and we're not averse to using their nomenclature instead of doing it the way we've done it for decades, but you only get one window of each type.  I know there's a way to insert a window and modify it so that Andersen knows which window it is, because others have told me they've done it.  I'm just not sure how to do it without looking at their catalog and inputting the exact dimensions to get the window we want. 

Here are screenshots from a couple of widely-distributed window companies (Andersen and Pella), showing size charts for their double hung and casement windows.

Pella doesn't even detail glass size (which I believe Andersen is calling "clear vision" size) in their tables.  Pella callout numbers for their standards seem to relate directly to unit (i.e., "frame") size.

Andersen still uses their somewhat unique and archaic callouts, which for double-hung windows might be more akin to SASH sizes, not "clear area glass," and it is only for the double hung windows.  Their callouts for casement don't relate to sash or glass sizings at all.

What is your issue, exactly?  Chief gives us the ability in windows to define sash widths, which relate to glass area.  Is that what you want?  A way to have the window label done in glass size, computed from what we spec for size and sash widths?  Or do you simply want to use Andersen windows in their standard sizes, and have Chief produce labels that match their callouts?

What if your drawings are used and the client buys JeldWen, or Marvin, or Lincoln, or some other brand?

Screenshot 2021-10-19 133104.jpg

Screenshot 2021-10-19 133141.jpg

Screenshot 2021-10-19 133336.jpg

Screenshot 2021-10-19 133457.jpg

3 hours ago, BruceKC said:

how to use the andersen window downloads

Select the Andersen library to activate it, then hit the delete key.

OK, ok...not funny I know, but the window catalogs are useless. If you know the brand of window you are using for a project, set up the default window using that info to save yourself the headache. Andersen uses some odd sizing, which means there will be some xx 5/8" windows with 3/8" ea side rough openings to get the schedule correct.

Either way, if you are specifying windows for your project you are going to need to do some "leg work" within Chief and give it the proper time. Here are schedules from a custom project when I needed to spec the windows and doors...put in the time.

image.thumb.png.93d7b657eb019589a70d3bc3ea6fa534.png

If I know whose windows are going to be used, I put downloaded size charts right in the plan file all in one CAD detail, for ready reference.  If the product line is new to me, I study the tech docs to understand the mulling standards, so I can place and size multiples when necessary.

Wherever possible, I'll use their standard sizes, and use the comments field to show the callout labels.

My RO specs are simple: 1/2" all around.  Dimensions are to centerlines.

If the window buy is undecided, I go with sizes that are always in whole inches, and chosen to be close to the "average" I see in the catalogs.  In my market, four or five makers make up the usual field of choice.  No callouts go in comments.

So what's the builder's window salesman gonna do?  And what's the framer gonna do?  I'm not the one that let the supply question go undecided all the way through permit issuance and maybe even foundation build.

They'll do it the old fashioned way, mark up the prints with sizes and RO info, and carry on.

So so what's the problem?