Showing filled CMU downpours/rebar on floor and foundation plan

PMMully

Hi all,

I would like to devise a method to show my masonry downpours from the tie beam to the footer (#5 rebar and filled cells) on my first floor in the foundation plan (floor 0). The locations are driven by the corners, windows, doors, and a maximum span of 4' between then.

I made a new layer called "Downpours", and placed the CAD rebar symbols on this layer on floor 1. On floor 1 I can turn it on/off as expected. But on Floor zero, even though the layer is displayed, it is not showing up. Then I noticed I could not overlay windows and doors either (as a reference). So I went into the reference display, and saw the layer set was on reference display. So I changed it to working layer set, and it all works as expected (had to shut walls off). What I want is just these symbols, driven in placement by corner, window, door, and spacing from floor 1, not the standard reference display layer set. It looks as if I should make a new layer set, and put this one layer into it, and then just change form the reference display set to this new layer set. Am I following the best practice here?  I "think" this tracks with some plumbing/toilet/tub/shower threads I have seen?

In hindsight, this may not be necessary as many just post a notation on the foundation plan to follow the wall layouts regarding downpour locations. But it is something that makes sense when some refer to the "S" pages over "A" pages when laying out the form boards, etc. It would stop them from having to jump back and forth between pages potentially reducing error. I actually had a plan from a well known architectural firm that subed out to a structural firm. The plan was complicated and big. When we got started, we noted that the dimensions did not match between the two... yikes! We recovered in the field, but that owner did not get what he paid for.

I draw a 2" circle fill it solid and put it on the default cad layer, because I want it to show up on all pages. (the only thing I put on default cad layer is cad I will not turn off)

Since most of my jobs are ICF I put dimensions for dowel locations and put them on the "Dimensions, Foundation" layer, since I don't want the dimensions to show up on any other page.

I take an extra step and instead of a dimension line I use text to locate the dowel from a corner (kinda like a running dimension) that way the guy in the field can pull his tape and mark ea dimension without having to do any calculating.