Turn off entire floors from displaying.

Ebb001

I searched the forums and the help files and all my menus but I'm unable to figure out if there's a way that I can turn off certain floors while I'm working. I'm currently working on a five floor 20,000 square foot mansion that's being converted into 8 condominiums. Now that I've got to the point where I have 6 large chef kitchens, 18 bathrooms, 115 windows, 89 doors, 530 recessed light etc etc it's gotten to the point that even though I have a new and capable computer it's taking about one to two seconds every time I click my mouse or something to happen. With bigger actions it can take 5 seconds for something to happen. Even just switching from 2D to 3D view takes about 5 seconds. My big question is can I just turn off the first three floors and keep working on the 4th floor?  Turning off layers helps but when you're trying to work in 3D it totally kills your vibe when half the stuff that should be there is missing. ty!

CA x12

Nice to see that you are busy and pushing the software to it's limits.  Hoping you will get some great suggestions but I am almost thinking you need to use Edit Area to move an entire floor into a new plan file. Then move it back once you have it completed.  Work on one floor at a time that way with 5 or 6 plan files.  In 3D it may help to use a Perspective Floor Overview most of the time and set it to not display the Lower Floors.

1 hour ago, Chopsaw said:

Nice to see that you are busy and pushing the software to it's limits.  Hoping you will get some great suggestions but I am almost thinking you need to use Edit Area to move an entire floor into a new plan file. Then move it back once you have it completed.  Work on one floor at a time that way with 5 or 6 plan files.  In 3D it may help to use a Perspective Floor Overview most of the time and set it to not display the Lower Floors.

I actually thought about this but didn't realize I could use the edit area to move it without having to realign everything. I do have to refer to the lower floors from time to time but it wouldn't be a big deal to throw in some reference walls because it's only for load bearing info. tnx!

• 2 weeks later...

I would suggest using "save as" to create a new plan, and delete all floors you are not working on.  Later, you can copy/paste hold position all objects from the working plan into the full model.

Also, when working in 3D or if you have a 3D view open in the background, try different rendering styles to see which one is faster.  I find for me that standard rendering is faster than vector as it uses the GPU more than the CPU.

On 10/13/2021 at 2:10 PM, Ebb001 said:

I searched the forums and the help files and all my menus but I'm unable to figure out if there's a way that I can turn off certain floors while I'm working. I'm currently working on a five floor 20,000 square foot mansion that's being converted into 8 condominiums. Now that I've got to the point where I have 6 large chef kitchens, 18 bathrooms, 115 windows, 89 doors, 530 recessed light etc etc it's gotten to the point that even though I have a new and capable computer it's taking about one to two seconds every time I click my mouse or something to happen. With bigger actions it can take 5 seconds for something to happen. Even just switching from 2D to 3D view takes about 5 seconds. My big question is can I just turn off the first three floors and keep working on the 4th floor?  Turning off layers helps but when you're trying to work in 3D it totally kills your vibe when half the stuff that should be there is missing. ty!

CA x12

Tons of methods to use. 3 come to mind

1. Select the walls and windows of a single story, on a story by story basis, and create a symbol out of each story using the Convert To Symbol Tool and add it to your library. then paste the 4 symbols, each floor;  at the plan level and adjust the z-offset/height of each to reassemble/match your building. Then pull a floor camera and the whole building will be there, 4 floors as symbols and one active. Far fewer polygons.
  2. Simply add each floor level component to its own layer. Kitchen cabinet-story one.
  3. Use reference plans for each story