Wall Divider wall disconnect?

ACADuser

Just now, ACADuser said:

is the "auto connect threshold" a setting that I can change?

Wow I wish that could be changed or over ridden somehow in certain situations...  but no, sorry just a pipe dream.

4 minutes ago, ACADuser said:

This does not happen with other walls.

Arrow is set to 1"

It seems that it is exceeded with a 0 thickness wall and 1" snaps.   Easily reproducible in any direction.  The key being the wall thickness I think.

I have been having the same "Issue" in X13 ...did not encounter in X12 myself, not sure if they updated the Room Divider Wall Definition or ???

( walls always connect on their centerline, unless they are a "Partition type", which can be an issue in some cases )

M.

2 hours ago, ACADuser said:

wall disconnects from the other room dividers.

22 minutes ago, Kbird1 said:

...did not encounter in X12 myself,

I get the exact same behaviour in X12.

5 minutes ago, ACADuser said:

I started a report with tech support.

It seems to work fine with the tab key if you need to move a specific distance.

Be sure to make it clear that you do not want the hard coded snap distance increased unless they make it adjustable or allow us to turn it off. ;)

From Tech Support

This is due to the thickness of the wall in relation to the nudge distance. As you know, walls will automatically connect to one another, but the distance in which a given wall will "reach out" to automatically connect is determined by the wall's thickness; thicker walls will automatically snap further than thinner walls will. As a result of this behavior, most walls will remain connected because the nudge distance (default 1") is sufficient to allow the walls to automatically connect (which is what we're actually seeing when the walls extend automatically when nudging, they're not "sticky", they're auto-reconnecting every nudge.).

With that, there are ultimately two solutions to allow this behavior to work automatically in the manner we see it with other walls:
1) reduce the Snap grid size to something small enough to allow a 0" wall to automatically reconnect. In testing, this seems to be anything less than 1". The downside, of course, is that a snap grid of 1/2" is not entirely convenient to use.
2) increase the thickness of the room divider wall. Because Room dividers default to 0", it doesn't take a lot to overshoot them. Re-defining them to increase their thickness to even 1/8" will move them within the snap threshold of the 1" snap grid distance.

A different trick to use is to select and drag the divider as you normally would to manually pull the wall to a new location, but before releasing the mouse button, tap the Tab key once. This activates an Input dialog, allowing you to enter the exact distance you want the wall to move, and because we're dragging the wall, not nudging it, wall connections will be maintained.

51 minutes ago, Chopsaw said:

hard coded snap distance

The Bump distance is not Hard-Coded, it is whatever you set in Plan Defaults > Plan   ..... for your Snap Unit ... I find I change it 2- 4 times a day, depending on what I am doing , that was why I made a Suggestion for a Dropdown with perhaps 5 preset distances we could alter as we'd like ... I had hoped to see it in X13 actually....

image.thumb.png.0b775000ac2351b7f4729692d5e8b997.png

* looks like you posted while I was writing....

1 minute ago, ACADuser said:

I almost never change from 1".

Too lazy I guess. B)

Yeah the Dropdown would be very handy for some of us :)  , I still think something has changed though, nevermind what TS said.... since I have not changed the way I work....

M.

7 minutes ago, Kbird1 said:
58 minutes ago, Chopsaw said:

hard coded snap distance

The Bump distance is not Hard-Coded, it is whatever you set in Plan Defaults > Plan   ..... for your Snap Unit ... I find I change it 2- 4 times a day, depending on what I am doing , that was why I made a Suggestion for a Dropdown with perhaps 5 preset distances we could alter as we'd like ... I had hoped to see it in X13 actually....

What I meant was the hard coded wall snaps. I thought that was clear in the context of what I was saying.

If you know a way to change that please please please let us know.

I also change the grid snaps quite frequently and missed your suggestion but it is a good one for sure.

10 minutes ago, Chopsaw said:

also change the grid snaps quite frequently and missed your suggestion but it is a good one for sure.

Alan posted in that thread..... I bumped it up again , just now so we can try again for X14 :)

11 minutes ago, Chopsaw said:

hard coded wall snaps. I thought that was clear in the context of what I was saying.

Not to me obviously sorry.... I believe you are right it is Hardcoded, I have always thought the the wall's snapping (together) distance

was the Wall's thickness or about 6" for exterior Walls, which as noted can also be an issue.

M.