4 way Gambrel roof

Reedley

Hi, I'm new to CA and having a hard time with a 4 way gambrel roof. The design is basically a plus sign, with all 4 sides being a gambrel roof, 16:12 and 7:12 lower and upper pitches respectively. I can get two sides of it, but the other two don't seem to want to cooperate. The front walls on each side are gables, while the sides of each side are hips with 2nd pitch added. I tried adding invisible interior walls that run half way into the structure from each side of the roof for hip support, but no luck. Any advice would be appreciated! Thanks. Image attached.

4-way-gambrel-framing.png

As can be seen in both Eric and Chopsaw's images, the gable width has to equal the depth of the main roof for this (or any) cross-gabled roof if pitches are all to match.

Now, if you want a cross gable that's less width than that, your valleys will be "irregular," and framers use a vulgar term for this, but the pitches will need to be calculated.  Your framed image looks like you may want to go this way.

As an example, I modeled a shape in 3D using my go-to Sketchup app, doing a 28' deep house with a 24' width cross gable.  Same 16-7 as yours for the gambrel pitches.  For the valleys to be linear when seen in plan view, the pitches for the cross need to be 16-1/2" and 8-3/16".

Hi all, thank you for your time and the replies. @Chopsaw That is correct. This particular design is a home built in 1920. The Gambrel on the second story sits directly on the floor. Not a great design considering all the wasted space in the corners. I assume manually is the only way to make this, due to not having 2nd floor walls? @solver Can this "auto" framing be done without walls on the second floor? @GeneDavis That's useful info, thank you! Again, thank you for your time and assistance.