Municipality requires a VECTOR based pdf

Doug_N

So this has never happened before (at least to me) but the City of Markham has gone electronic in building permit applications.  No surprise there, lots of cities are doing that.  The surprise is what they will accept for a drawing.  The drawing must be a vector PDF

765741922_MarkhamSubmissionFileFormat.thumb.jpg.c7f56210ba27a4a81e5161963c0c131a.jpg

This is a clip from the ePlan submission standard.  I have included the whole document for reference.

It would seem that CA does not currently support exporting of a vector based PDF.

Anyone out there have any ideas about how I can do this?  Exporting to AutoCAD mangles some of the text and dimensions so that isn't a workable solution for a whole project.

I am at a loss for how to proceed.

ePLAN-Submission-Standards-2021.pdf

Geez.. that doesn't look like fun at all.  A lot of non-value added time to that doc.  Never heard of vector based.  Does this mean you need to create a new border layout to make room for their info, or did you already have one?

Good luck...

Chief Architect Save As PDF is vector for all the content that possibly can be vector.  One of the only known options that does that as far as I know.

As for "flattened" PDF's,  I think previous discussions here on the forum concluded that the only way to do that is with Raster formatting. However reading the regulations it seems that they just don't want a layered pdf which is different from a flattened PDF.  Possibly what they are really saying is they don't want any illustrations that can't be scanned and analyzed by a machine ?

1 hour ago, mtldesigns said:

Geez.. that doesn't look like fun at all.  A lot of non-value added time to that doc.  Never heard of vector based.  Does this mean you need to create a new border layout to make room for their info, or did you already have one?

Good luck...

As it happens I don't have a layout that matches that requirement either.  I mostly do 11 x 17 pages so what I intend to do is to just print on 17 x 34 and set the drawing on the bottom left corner.

1 hour ago, Chopsaw said:

Chief Architect Save As PDF is vector for all the content that possibly can be vector.  One of the only known options that does that as far as I know.

As for "flattened" PDF's,  I think previous discussions here on the forum concluded that the only way to do that is with Raster formatting. However reading the regulations it seems that they just don't want a layered pdf which is different from a flattened PDF.  Possibly what they are really saying is they don't want any illustrations that can't be scanned and analyzed by a machine ?

Michael,

Yeah, flattened in this case means just one layer.  From what others have said, they bring the PDF into a vector capable editor (like AutoCAD) to do their markups.

You might be able to get something that will work just using the Save As PDF tool in the Print dialog. 

Basically, as long as you are not including any images (which are always raster based), the pdf should (from what I have been told by our in-house pdf expert) be all vector based and on a single layer.  The key will be that all of your camera/elevation views that you send to the layout will also need to be vector based so you will need to send them as plot line views with "Color Fill" turned off.

You should try a very simple plan as a test case and see if this is compatible with what your building department needs.

• Like 1
  • Upvote 1