Sloped Deck

Disharoon

Hello! 

I am on X13, and I need to create a 1% sloped deck. What is the best strategy here? I saw people using both ramps and roof planes. 

The file is too big to attach but I've attached a picture of the elevation here with a red square around the section I need to slope.

819188121_ScreenShot2021-10-06at2_14_56PM.thumb.png.44a8a9672eb5c1f842d89441824ee754.png

I always use a ramp for situation like this. Then, the railings on the side can be set to "follow stairs" and they'll nicely follow the ramp. Once the ramp's heights are set, I place it on it's own layer and lock it, so I can easily select other items.

Tip: Set the deck / balcony room height based on the outer edge elevation.

7 minutes ago, robdyck said:

Then, the railings on the side can be set to "follow stairs" and they'll nicely follow the ramp

I am curious why you'd want the Railings sloped and not level in this situation? personally I wouldn't build it that way ITRW.....

M.

3 minutes ago, Kbird1 said:

I am curious why you'd want the Railings sloped and not level in this situation? personally I wouldn't build it that way ITRW.....

M.

I do this regularly and that's how things are usually built in my region. Waterproof decks covered with a vinyl deck membrane sloped at 1%-2% to the exterior with an aluminum railing installed on top of the decking surface. The railings are constant in height, so they follow the deck surface.

8 minutes ago, robdyck said:

an aluminum railing installed on top of the decking surface. The railings are constant in height, so they follow the deck surface.

Okay that explains it , I don't allow Railings to be installed ON the Vinyl Membrane at all , seen way too many leak issues over the years.

I typically always Fascia Mount Railings these days whether Wood or aluminium.

Mick.

1 minute ago, robdyck said:

I don't have that kind of authority!

Course you do you are the Architect :), and if it's on the Plans it should be on the job......

No doubt Fascia mounted costs a bit more but long term there are no issues and you can gain 3-4" more space in the Deck too

M.

• Like 1

17 minutes ago, Kbird1 said:

No doubt Fascia mounted costs a bit more but long term there are no issues and you can gain 3-4" more space in the Deck too

Preaching to the choir! Conversion rate of the heathen on the other hand...And it pains me to confess that I'm not an architect!

I'm kidding of course, but you get the idea.

12 minutes ago, robdyck said:

most of my clients are general contractors...

And on a fixed price contract = good enough is good enough 

However I like to think Clients are/will be long-term and try thinking beyond the immediate future......

I am surprised more don't these days especially when 5-10yr Warranties are mandatory in many places now...

M.