Roof resulting in different wall plate heights

ChiefJeet

The double storey roof has a pitch of 35 degree and the single storey has a pitch of 12.5 degree.

If I set the default roof pitch to 35 degree and set the roof pitch within wall spec to 12.5 degree, auto roof will draw the roof with 12.5 degree pitch at a lower wall plate height which results in sloping ceiling as shown in the clip. image.thumb.png.82a75a5de59e27f3cfe6ec77f4058c1e.png

If I set the default roof pitch to 12.5 degree and set the roof pitch within wall spec of the upper roof to 35 degree, then the lower roof will be drawn correctly but the upper roof will have a higher wall plate height.

Would anyone know if there is another setting I should be changing? I am aware that I can change the roof heights manually but I am trying to avoid having to do that in order to benefit from auto roofs.

File attached

Thanks in advance

Roof lower wall plate.plan

8 hours ago, ChiefJeet said:

The double storey roof has a pitch of 35 degree and the single storey has a pitch of 12.5 degree.

If I set the default roof pitch to 35 degree and set the roof pitch within wall spec to 12.5 degree, auto roof will draw the roof with 12.5 degree pitch at a lower wall plate height which results in sloping ceiling as shown in the clip. image.thumb.png.82a75a5de59e27f3cfe6ec77f4058c1e.png

If I set the default roof pitch to 12.5 degree and set the roof pitch within wall spec of the upper roof to 35 degree, then the lower roof will be drawn correctly but the upper roof will have a higher wall plate height.

Would anyone know if there is another setting I should be changing? I am aware that I can change the roof heights manually but I am trying to avoid having to do that in order to benefit from auto roofs.

File attached

Thanks in advance

Roof lower wall plate.plan 3.34 MB · 2 downloads

If you are going to use auto roofs...you have to start with the lowest pitch. Then, auto build the roof.  

Leave "auto rebuild roofs" turned on. 

Now...move to the 2nd floor and open each wall for edit, roof tab, and change the pitch to 35 degrees. 

The roof will auto build and all your rafters will be in the correct elevation. 

35 minutes ago, SNestor said:

If you are going to use auto roofs...you have to start with the lowest pitch. Then, auto build the roof.

Is this documented somewhere that you know of?

This would seem to be a fairly important thing to know, and would explain the behaviour I have seen previously.

My 5 min search in the help does not seem to indicate this

7 hours ago, SNestor said:

If you are going to use auto roofs...you have to start with the lowest pitch.

As far as I know, this is incorrect.

As long as auto roofs is toggled on, you can change the roof info in any wall at any time and the auto roof will reflect those changes.

I don't understand why you are saying that you have to start with the lowest pitch.

Am I missing something?

8 hours ago, SNestor said:

Leave "auto rebuild roofs" turned on. 

This do not work either. I have followed the procedure and the wall plate height is still higher

image.thumb.png.4d2fc1da5868fc5c05724bc2ec55e9cd.png

Has anyone tried by using the attached plan?

3 hours ago, glennw said:

As far as I know, this is incorrect.

As long as auto roofs is toggled on, you can change the roof info in any wall at any time and the auto roof will reflect those changes.

I don't understand why you are saying that you have to start with the lowest pitch.

Am I missing something?

@ChiefJeet

What I'm saying is correct to a degree...see video. If I'm missing something I'm sure someone will let me know :)

Starting with lowest pitch w/Auto Rebuild Roofs - Watch Video

fe8d4b3b506d40bba21b9b88f3a4d8ed-with-play.gif

@HumbleChief - I believe (and I'm guessing) that the reason is that Chief takes the pitch and creates the baseline elevation...so, when you open a wall and change the pitch, the baseline is still locked at the position created by the higher pitched roof....which pushes the lower roof down. 

I'm guessing...so don't go to the bank with this info. :)

12 minutes ago, SNestor said:

@HumbleChief - I believe (and I'm guessing) that the reason is that Chief takes the pitch and creates the baseline elevation...so, when you open a wall and change the pitch, the baseline is still locked at the position created by the higher pitched roof....which pushes the lower roof down. 

That sounds feasible and wonder if there's a way to avoid that through programming or through the help file or some other method because I would never guess that that would be expected behavior? I guess it would require moving the base line to a new location, depending on the new pitch? Seems a tall order but thanks for the info and perhaps there's another way? But will put this into the memory banks and hope it helps the OP.

48 minutes ago, SNestor said:

I haven't looked into it but the Baseline should generate at the VSD Height based on the Pitch and the Rafter Size , and the Wall Pitch ( RWD) should override any Default settings in the Build Roof DBX.

Unless something got messed up in X13 and only just came to light

MY VSD CHART

Thanks Steve for taking the trouble to do two video.

image.png.c4cee7b02d2cc16cb14a9e5ed390d11b.pngThis is not correct as the wall plate is normally on the inner skin

image.png.7c3969cd4b1e097355f68d199a326f3b.pngThis is a same clip with a correct position of wall plate.

I think I will put this to CA to see if it is a bug or there is a setting somewhere to correct it. 

Thanks again

At least in this part of the world you have some strange wall definitions and roof baselines build directly off the outside of the main layer , but after a few changes and building the Roof with the Trusses Check Box on it seem to work ok? but I would still contact Tech. Support.

image.thumb.png.b5569378a88c0a2a6b2030b42e399fe2.png   image.thumb.png.dd9cd714ae1db7fa2e11d42129b2d7dc.png  image.thumb.png.9f54e03aadd95d43230fd7e42cf31fcb.png

Mick

56 minutes ago, Kbird1 said:

At least in this part of the world you have some strange wall definitions and roof baselines build directly off the outside of the main layer , but after a few changes and building the Roof with the Trusses Check Box on it seem to work ok? but I would still contact Tech. Support.

Well that explains it,, the roof pivoting on the out face of the main layer.

image.png.9c6c71d7d30532dbb50b32a8baffa8f3.png In UK, we rarely have masonry cavity wall construction and the rafter is pivoted on the outer edge of the wall plate. The wish list would be to alter the wall plate position and the pivoting point. One could also experiment with shifting the insulation and brick clad out of the main layer.

Jeet

6 minutes ago, ChiefJeet said:

Well that explains it,, the roof pivoting on the out face of the main layer.

image.png.9c6c71d7d30532dbb50b32a8baffa8f3.png In UK, we rarely have masonry cavity wall construction and the rafter is pivoted on the outer edge of the wall plate. The wish list would be to alter the wall plate position and the pivoting point. One could also experiment with shifting the insulation and brick clad out of the main layer.

Jeet

That is what I did above.......and you can see the Brick building upto the Soffit only.

I am not sure why you have 1mm plaster on the 99mm block or for your Ceilings though .....

Mick.

16 minutes ago, Kbird1 said:

I am not sure why you have 1mm plaster on the 99mm block or for your Ceilings though .....

Still evolving. In 2D cad applications, I only show structural walls without plaster and this was one way of achieving that by pinching 1mm off the wall thickness. This learning process is slowing my productivity. Once I have picked up the speed and have cleared my workload then I can experiment with the advanced features.

19 minutes ago, ChiefJeet said:

Still evolving. In 2D cad applications, I only show structural walls without plaster and this was one way of achieving that by pinching 1mm off the wall thickness. This learning process is slowing my productivity. Once I have picked up the speed and have cleared my workload then I can experiment with the advanced features.

I was wondering why the Detail you showed didn't show Ceiling or Wall linings.....

With Chief's Room based paradigm and everything being life sized 3D Objects , you really want to build your structures ( walls, Floor Structures, Roofs Planes etc) just like they are built in real life otherwise you will (could) see weird things happening as all those structures interact with a Wall's Main Layer to some degree.

M.

3 hours ago, ChiefJeet said:

Thanks Steve for taking the trouble to do two video.

image.png.c4cee7b02d2cc16cb14a9e5ed390d11b.pngThis is not correct as the wall plate is normally on the inner skin

image.png.7c3969cd4b1e097355f68d199a326f3b.pngThis is a same clip with a correct position of wall plate.

I think I will put this to CA to see if it is a bug or there is a setting somewhere to correct it. 

Thanks again

I've done a little testing. I created a new plan. Created a similar wall type. I did not have this issue. Rafters built what I'd call normally...so, maybe it's something in the way you have your wall defined. Send it in to Chief...see what they think.