Adjust post so it angles 10%??

parkwest

23 minutes ago, parkwest said:

Anyone have a quick solution to placing post so they angle out away from house? see red post in picture below...

image.thumb.png.6e908b55056201e8bfc9e1c01adddc21.png

I wont get into detail here but a p-solid and you can edit the layer and components panel accordingly.

8 minutes ago, parkwest said:

Okay, p-solid it is.

I was hoping for something easy since we can rotate the post by inserting an angle... I thought just maybe...

Even easier IMO is a 3d molding line. 1 line only Vasily! Plus wood grain texture will follow it accurately. Spec layer, material.

Or you could create a post, then convert it to a symbol, then rotate it in elevation view. This is more work, and the texture may need to be copied an rotated.

• Upvote 1

2 hours ago, parkwest said:

Okay, p-solid it is.

I was hoping for something easy since we can rotate the post by inserting an angle... I thought just maybe...

Use a Cylinder primitive.

You can easily get the top/bottom horizontal by using solid subtraction.

Screen Shot 2021-10-05 at 8.51.26 am.jpg

Screen Shot 2021-10-05 at 8.56.10 am.jpg

• Like 1

Rene,

Not that I am saying it is the best way, but...

It is very easy to change the cutoff angles on the top/bottom of a  3D molding polyline.

You can control the cutoff angles by adding an extra section to the end of the polyline and uncheck Molding On Selected Edge.

You then rotate the end sections of the polyline to give you the cut off angle you want.

The cutoff angle is half the angle of the polyline. 

Here is a 3D molding polyline with a circular molding attached.

Tip: It is a lot easier to manipulate 3D molding polylines in a cross section than the 3d view shown here.

Screen Shot 2021-10-05 at 10.02.31 am.jpg

16 minutes ago, glennw said:

Rene,

Not that I am saying it is the best way, but...

It is very easy to change the cutoff angles on the top/bottom of a  3D molding polyline.

You can control the cutoff angles by adding an extra section to the end of the polyline and uncheck Molding On Selected Edge.

You then rotate the end sections of the polyline to give you the cut off angle you want.

The cutoff angle is half the angle of the polyline. 

Here is a 3D molding polyline with a circular molding attached.

Tip: It is a lot easier to manipulate 3D molding polylines in a cross section than the 3d view shown here.

Screen Shot 2021-10-05 at 10.02.31 am.jpg

Makes sense, new to me, nice tip!

14 hours ago, glennw said:

14 hours ago, Renerabbitt said:

I don't really understand the thought behind using a molding as it wont have level top and bottom planes.

You're right Rene, I could have explained my method in more detail. I do what Glenn mentioned when necessary. Sometime though, I'll just bury it, as shown in the pic below.

image.thumb.png.2767145b3228498000e5cfab5f2ecdad.pngimage.thumb.png.e0c165e656f134ae222432707c8cb592.png