Adding open shelf to furniture style vanity

NicoleG

Go to solution Solved by MarkMc,

Hello, i'm trying to draw up this vanity for a bathroom but I am having trouble getting the open shelf at the bottom.  I'm using the cabinet tool and I can create a tall toe kick which opens everything up but then I can't get the shelf.  Or I tried creating an open area with a shelf but then I can't figure out how to open up the sides.  I'm still pretty new to CA so i'm hoping there is an easy way to add the shelf.  Bonus points if you can also tell me how to get a wood slat shelf thats also pretty popular right now. Thanks!

Screen Shot 2021-10-02 at 3.06.50 PM.png

Screen Shot 2021-10-02 at 3.08.09 PM.png

Screen Shot 2021-10-02 at 3.10.54 PM.png

• Solution

Here a ladder shelf made from polyline solids converted to a cabinet door symbol. Read up about symbols, stretch planes, zone and origins. Then open the included symbol to start to get an idea. Sides are easy enough. make the front look the way you want each side and back to look. Then go around to each of those and first select match front, then change that to custom. When done go back to the front and finish it off the way it needs to be.

IF you wanted full height legs with reveal as on the picture you would need to make a custom door symbol for the sides. See below

I'm sure Eric's post will be helpful.

image.thumb.png.3b946b60e2eb3477907cfe177ac56c20.png

Ladder Shelf cabinet.plan

39 minutes ago, NicoleG said:

Yes, this is what i'm trying to do, but how do I draw these?  Do you have a video or settings I can reference?  I'm very new to Chief, I love how intuitive the program is but this one is baffling me.  

Should be able to just place a Shelf off the Cabinet menu and then set it's height and material for that cabinet. it will happily intersect the main cabinet without effecting it.

Have not watched Eric's videos but the Slat was made from a Polyline Solid and then multicopied and rotated as needed to make the slatted shelf.

them me see if I still have the Plan... * looks like Mark just beat me to it.... slightly different style (ladder)

Mick

I couldn't find in bonus libraries but they do have in core Cabinets Doors Drawers & Panels, specialty storage. Thanks for posting yours.

15 hours ago, Kbird1 said:

(Ladder type) Shelves now in the Specialty Storage Bonus library

Not sure why I was unable to get legs to work yesterday but got it fine now. Fished out an old plan from my symbols plan folder for a MFG specific shelf not having finished migrating libraries to new machine (maybe by X14). This one is added as a shelf instead of a door. Cabinet to right has side panel inset below shelf which both keeps the shelf open below and allows for use of a symbol with profile if needed. Interestingly when first converting to side panel inset the shelf disappears, once I added openings on each side as part of cleaning up extra lines the shelf magically re-appears.

image.thumb.png.10990b28ea10be6e9ddf209ffcb71baf.png

vanity 2.plan

9 minutes ago, MarkMc said:

couldn't find in bonus libraries but they do have in core Cabinets Doors Drawers & Panels, specialty storage. Thanks for posting yours.

Sorry you are right , I didn't expand my library out to full view and assumed I was in the Bonus Specialty Storage library....

Chief has updated a few Libraries again this week including Blum again , so run an update .....

M.