Intelligent Callouts in Layout

stevesakiwi

I've considered a dedicated sheet label # for details to help solve this. You could do something similar, basically preassign D-# to 3 sheets, where D-1 is for cladding, D-2 is for Roof, D-3 is for structural, etc. I've gone to named pages with a total sheet # to organize. section callouts are to page labels not numbers. so if I copy Electrical to Basement Electrical, the label is still E-# in the page settings, but it will show as E-2 in the index and actual layout page.

image.png.639fd29a3a92163f0b3e6296a535ef7e.png

image.png.82b2828f45de23b12681b5f4be7cf77c.png

Hi Jason,

Thanks for this, but I'm not really sure if it solves the issue whereby a typical house plan has 40~50 CAD Details that I need to show for Council.....

Each CAD Detail needs to show exactly where they reference - typically this is done on Sections...so the link between Layout Sht# & CAD Detail # is important for the end user navigation.

Please understand that we work with A3 (11" x 17") sheets down-under & there simply isn't the room on each Section Layout sheets to show the callouts associated with each respective CAD Detail.....typically, I'll have 4 CAD Details per A3 sheet (Scaled @ 1:5)

The example I attached on Tuesday's post sort of does what you're describing where layout Sheets are dedicated to Cladding, Roof, Openings etc, but I am showing the respective CAD Detail callouts on a 3D model, rather than in Section.....

I used to show in Section the CAD callouts but it became a constant pain because you seem to be always adding/deleting Details and/or layout Sheets meaning that you had to constantly check that the Callout Labels were correct....this is where an intelligent callout will really make life easier.

I have been a CA user for some 25years & love the program, but also did plans in REVIT & found that feature with Details/Section/Layout automatic association leaps ahead of CA.

I have ditched REVIT as I couldn't afford it & the renderings where so-so, unless you paid for an online service.....also the 2D CAD detailing in CA is superior.

Cheers, Steve

I was thinking that you have on your layout "Sheets 28-32" harcoded?

This means if you added or deleted a sheet before 28, you would then need to change these labels. This is what I have to do (but differently because I use a callout with the page, see below). So I've been  pondering having dedicated sheets names so I do not have to change them constantly. One less thing to worry about

May I ask why you are using callouts on perspective view, as opposed to elevations?

i.e. today I have to constantly change A13 in the callout (on my cross section) below to line up with the layout page. So if I were to re-lable the detail pages to say D-#, I can hardcode them to be D1, or in your case you could change your "Sheets 28-32" label to Sheets "D1-D5" and not have to worry about changing the labels when you insert or delete pages prior to sheet 28. But of course the tradeoff is people have to look at the index(page layout table) to see where the page number is (relative to other pages), which is why I also put the total page numbers below the sheet name in the corner. I should perhaps put the page number in as well, but maybe that is even more confusing

image.png.753c12273fd167e7ec6c1800455209f0.png

image.png.3f35d6e8a3aa9f3f05adff1d0b663ed8.png

Hi Jason,

It looks as if we're developing our own work-arounds to make up for CA's shortcomings.

You're correct if another layout Sht gets added/deleted, the I have to manually edit the Detail Legend Sht.....far better than having to change a heap of CAD detail callout labels!

I did consider referencing the CAD detail callouts on the 2D Elevations, but I find it's easier to highlight junctions in 3D & that aren't clear in 2D.

I also use the Detail Legend Sht as a checklist to make sure I've got all scenario's covered....I do this early in the design & the callouts become a reminder of the CAD detail info I need to provide.

Have a great weekend.......Steve

51 minutes ago, stevesakiwi said:

far better than having to change a heap of CAD detail callout labels

Not saying the lack of these callouts are good but just an FYI you can change a "heap of cad detail callout labels" using the "Find/Replace Text" tool (Ctrl. + F/Cmd. +F OOB hotkey)  Then you can search the whole document for say D-19 / A-07 and change it to D-20 / A-08.... 

how exactly does it work in the other programs? do you do a detail, it gets autoassigned a number, and then you go to a elevation and select from a drop down a callout from the available detail  list?

I'm curious to see if it is driven from the detail or from the callout on the elevation.

It would seem ideally that you would, on an elevation or section, select from a number, description combination in a dropdown and then it places the callout number for you. Then from there, when it gets sent to layout, the program updates the callouts to have the layout page number

Hi Jason,

There are a number of youtube tutorials available for Revit & Archicad....they can be quite lengthy, such as Detail / Callout in Revit Tutorial - Bing video

If I remember correctly, viewports are created on the plan that link sections & the CAD Detail so when all info is sent to different locations in Layout, then all item numbers remain consistent with the layout sheet where they are displayed for printing.

I'm not asking for such a refined feature....rather it would be nice if the CA Callout label (to be used in CAD Detail) had the same 'intelligent' feature that the section & elevation labels have

16 hours ago, stevesakiwi said:

I'm not asking for such a refined feature....rather it would be nice if the CA Callout label (to be used in CAD Detail) had the same 'intelligent' feature that the section & elevation labels have

Interesting video. They eseentially have a grid line that comes with an auto number callout.

This grid line can be placed in plan view and it also shows up in section view. The detail he has is a "real" detail, in that he constructed a house to make it (As opposed to just drawn in CAD)

This video

shows named details, but what I notice is these are actual real details from whatever the current model is. I'm not sure I would want to annotate every single detail on every single drawing, not to mention draw in hurricane ties or anchor bolts everytime.

I personally prefer reference details, that are pre-annotated, and are not spatially correct so I can annotate things like vapour barrier, typar, roof felt

I think CA would have to go to named details to do something either way. Today I can have 10 details all on one detail page, and then I can send each of them to different layout pages. So CA would not easily "know" which is actually being displayed on each. That being said, you can also create 10 different details pages. So if CA were to implement such a fucntion, then one would have to follow one detail per detail page (similar to revit), which would be fine IMHO.

But that does not link back from the layout page # to the callout on the elevation. But I do not see revit doing that either..

For the above revit video, I think you could accomplish the same thing in CA using cross section cameras, but it is not as pretty from the drill down perspective and does not have the camera within a camera tiering.

Never saw revit before watching the videos, reminded me of when I used ACAD many years ago (makes sense as they are the same company)

Your comment about 10 CAD Details & the need to have an intelligent link to Layout has been long awaited.....imagine having 50 CAD details which is typical in my projects....in many instances, I can only fit 4 or 5 CAD Details on an A3 sheet, hence why a project can have 50~60 layout Sheets!

Lets pray that X14 has this feature??????????????????????????

for me, I used prebuilt CAD details, so my ask is actually to be able to have the callout on an elevation tied to a named detail, and then that callout update with the  layour pg number, when the CAD detail is sent to layout.

I have no need for the revit detail within a detail function. or even the camera for the detail function.

I agree with the CA function....all it needs is for the Callout label to have the same intelligence (macros) as the Section & Elevation 'callouts'.

BTW, the Revit video is a tutorial & showing how the do 2D CAD within the portal window in addition showing the relationship with other parts of the drawing....

In reality, Revit & Archicad people have a large library of generic 2 CAD blocks which you can simply drop into the 'view' & amend where required (like CA).....there's' no need at all to draw each individual detail for every view