Intelligent Callouts in Layout

stevesakiwi

Hi Learned ones,

Firstly, does anyone know of a macro whereby I can have an 'intelligent callout' on 2 separate Layout sheets...eg: I have a 3D image on Layout Sht2 that I'd like to highlight where various construction details are, those details being on Layout Sht9~12.

So for detail 1, I have callout 1/9 on Sht2 & showing as callout 1/2 on Sht9......ie: where that detail is located on sheet.

If I happen to add another Sheet at Sht7, then Sht9 becomes Sht10 so detail 1 on Sht2 would intelligently update to 1/10.

Now, the next ask.....

Revit & Archicad have the capability where details/sections/layouts are intelligently linked so when a cad detail window is sent to Layout, it intelligently shows in the associated xsections the layout Sht# & Detail#, the information is intelligent between all 3 drawings...& if you happen to add another layout sheet, as described above, all details intelligently update.

I'm sure the out of the box X13 doesn't have this function....if so, I missed the memo being a user since '96.

Is there a macro that can do the above?

Cheers, to all.....Steve

• Upvote 1

Yes and No.

You can use a camera callout in Plan views that will intelligently know which layout sheet the camera view has been sent to.

Then in layout you can use a regular callout that can identify what page it is on so it matches the plan view intelligent callout.  The only real manual part is you need to input the camera ID and match it to the plan view camera ID.  You don't necessarily need to use the camera view but it needs to be sent to the page that your detail is on, which works really well for live details but for cad details you can use an empty layerset for the camera view. The is no true link between the two but indirectly it works.

• Upvote 1

Thanks Chopsaw for your prompt reply.

Back to the first part of the query, is there a macro where there can be an intelligent link between Layout Sheets?

If not, is there a macro wizard who can write such code?

Cheers, Steve

Currently there's no way to create 'smart' callouts that link to either a detail in layout, a layout box, or any specific view in the project browser. I'd happily settle for smart callouts that if placed in plan view could link to any view in the plan file, and if placed in layout, could link to any layout box, or view in the layout file. 

So far the best way to manage this is with fantastic laziness; don't include more than 2 sections, and no details whatsoever. Then, no spreadsheets are required to organize and callout your drawings!

Thanks guys for your feedback.

Yes, I got lazy, I no longer manually reference detail#/xsections/layout Shts as you are always making changes - adding details, sheets etc & it became too tedious to go back & check dozens of callouts - often missing some.

It's a damn shame that CA has not adopted this 'intelligent' functionality  as available on those other CAD platforms - this feature makes your plan sets look more professional & easy to navigate for the reader.

• Upvote 1

13 minutes ago, stevesakiwi said:

Yes, I got lazy, I no longer manually reference detail#/xsections/layout Shts as you are always making changes - adding details, sheets etc & it became too tedious to go back & check dozens of callouts - often missing some.

So are you at least using the automation that works for sections and elevations ?

To be honest Chopsaw, I did play with that but never got my head around it.....didn't seem to do what I wanted - I guess expecting the same result as Revit.

I have only just re-valuated the info displayed in CA Layout to make it easier for the reader to navigate......hence the post.

I have looked for youtube videos to help, but can't find any.

Can anyone please point me to such aids???

TIA.....Steve

I have and others have discussed the details here on the forum many times but it is difficult to search or get the concept but the key piece of information that you may have missed is using the Layout Labels and setting them up to auto number which drives the callouts in plan as well as layout.  It also keeps the Project Browser organizes so it helps you as well as making the drawing easier to follow.

image.thumb.png.84d6e9297e3162bbc255aa8c81cab187.png

21 hours ago, Chopsaw said:

I have and others have discussed the details here on the forum many times but it is difficult to search or get the concept but the key piece of information that you may have missed is using the Layout Labels and setting them up to auto number which drives the callouts in plan as well as layout.  It also keeps the Project Browser organizes so it helps you as well as making the drawing easier to follow.

image.thumb.png.84d6e9297e3162bbc255aa8c81cab187.png

Just FYI the # in the Label above , is what causes Chief to automatically number pages sequentially , do not omit it.

above it looks like CS is numbering A-200,201,202,203 etc.

Thanks Kbird1,

I understand that principle.....I'm guessing you're from NZ too?

The problem I have is with CAD details & their reference to cross sections & Layout.....same applies to Foundation plans & Roof plans.

Refer attached of Grandview - the 'CAD details' are shown on the same sheet as it's applicable xsection....BUT....this is on an A1 sized sheet example....all of my work is done on A3 sheets as is typical in NZ & Aussie.

Quite simply there is often enough space on the A3 xsection Sheet to display it's respective CAD detail callouts.....those callouts need to be placed on a separate sheet - hence the Callout link with Layout Sht# reference is more important for the reader to navigate.

I would like to know how you handle this in NZ where Councils are more demanding for copious amounts of Details?

CS does mention a work-around in his first post, but this seems cumbersome & a management issue....especially if you're got 30~40+ cad details in layout

Cheers, Steve

Grandview Sht9.pdf

29 minutes ago, stevesakiwi said:

Thanks Kbird1,

I understand that principle.....I'm guessing you're from NZ too?

The problem I have is with CAD details & their reference to cross sections & Layout.....same applies to Foundation plans & Roof plans.

Refer attached of Grandview - the 'CAD details' are shown on the same sheet as it's applicable xsection....BUT....this is on an A1 sized sheet example....all of my work is done on A3 sheets as is typical in NZ & Aussie.

Quite simply there is often enough space on the A3 xsection Sheet to display it's respective CAD detail callouts.....those callouts need to be placed on a separate sheet - hence the Callout link with Layout Sht# reference is more important for the reader to navigate.

I would like to know how you handle this in NZ where Councils are more demanding for copious amounts of Details?

CS does mention a work-around in his first post, but this seems cumbersome & a management issue....especially if you're got 30~40+ cad details in layout

Cheers, Steve

Grandview Sht9.pdf 228.1 kB · 0 downloads

Most City Councils in Nth America require drawing on ARCH D at 1/4" scale ( 24x36 or 600x900, approx I think)  I thought A3 was about 1/2 that or ARCH B ( 12x18) size but not really up on the ANSI OR A sizes. That PDF is on what is called Tabloid here (11x17) unless you reprinted it?

Many use a CAD Detail Plan for Typical Details and Send to Layout from there but as mentioned there is no automated system at this point to refer other pages , but it maybe possible to set up typical details in the Layout Template itself so you don't need to send every time but I am not sure that helps much.

Mick. 

A3 is 297mm x 420mm (11.7" x 16")

This is the typical standard required by Councils & by Contractors... so there is a space war on Layouts.

Not sure your suggestion would solve the issue, just shifting the issue from 1 process to another with same outcome - maintaining reference between details/section/layout.

Many thanks....Steve

26 minutes ago, stevesakiwi said:

A3 is 297mm x 420mm (11.7" x 16")

This is the typical standard required by Councils & by Contractors... so there is a space war on Layouts.

Not sure your suggestion would solve the issue, just shifting the issue from 1 process to another with same outcome - maintaining reference between details/section/layout.

Many thanks....Steve

Some Councils here were/are shifting to 11x17 as well as it is easy for them to scan paper plans themselves for digital storage , but many have also now gone totally digital due to Covid and all submissions are now on PDF only.

Yes as mentioned , there is no automated method currently but add a Suggestion on the suggestion Forum ( again) as I am sure many will add there thought there too.

Mick.

In know.....I made queries on Chieftalk about 4~5 years ago.

How do you now address this issue....what work-arounds do you use?

The implementation of this will be a long awaited catchup to other CAD platforms

Cheers, Steve

This might better explain the issue I deal with & a work-around I am playing with.

Firstly, my layout Sheets are A3 (ANSI B)....This is the typical sheet size Councils & contractors want in New Zealand & Australia....90% of residential plans will be on A3 sheets.

Often there is no room on Layout sheets with cross sections & floor plans to show callouts associated with details on respective cross section & plans.

These CAD details need to be shown on another layout Sheet as CAD detail scale is typically 1:5

For a reasonably complex house plan, I will have 4~6 cross sections & 40~50 CAD detail callouts......the need for the reader to navigate between Sheets is imperative - hence why having Details/Sections/Layouts referenced is important....I'm really looking forward to when CA has this feature ...already happening on other CAD platforms.

Please refer attached - here's a work-around that I'm now using.

1 - There is no need to show a callout on sections as the locations are referenced on 3D views of the project.... in this case Sheet 27

2 - The attached pdf shows 36 callouts currently showing on other Layout sheets - this project will easily see over 40 CAD details at completion.

4 - If I add another callout, I only need to show the callout # on the 3D & on the Layout Sheet where it is located.

5- I try to keep different elements such as walls, roof, foundations with different looking callouts so if I'm adding another detail eg: Wall cladding, I use the next number in the sequence

3 - Downfall -  I have a note in RED to remind myself not to change camera location - to do so, changes the 3D view & you have to shift all of the callouts located on that 3D view.

Please feel free to provide suggestions how this systems can be simplified...or is there a better work-around?

TIA.........Steve

10.5 Example Detail Legend.pdf