global line style scale

KellySantaRosa

I am currently working on a set of details within my existing plan set file. In this particular detail, I have a short section of line that needs to show as dashed. However, all the line styles (including one I created with smaller dashes as shown on the left side) are too large for the dashes to show up on the 1" = 1'-0" layout space. Attached is a shot of the plan file along with a zoomed shot of the layout where this detail resides (the horizontal line just for testing purposes and is the smallest dash in the core catalog). I would like to know how to approach this problem, if there is a way to adjust the printing scale for individual ports on the layout page, or maybe I need to work in a separate file for the details that might have a different global scale, then attach the pdf from this to the plan set. I am trying to avoid creating new line styles each time I need to adjust the scale, especially because they are getting down to the 64th increments and difficult to discern in the drop down menu (see last attached screen). 

Screen Shot 2021-09-30 at 1.44.30 PM.png

Screen Shot 2021-09-30 at 1.54.24 PM.png

Screen Shot 2021-09-30 at 1.53.17 PM.png

Have you adjusted the scale of your drawing sheet to coordinate the scale of the detail? The line weight will adjust according to the scale of the drawing sheet and many people don't bother to adjust this. In the screen shot, the heavy line is 1/4" scale drawing sheet, and the light line is 1 1/2" scale drawing sheet. It's the exact same line, with the exact same settings. 

image.thumb.png.ee0b336f90eba3393e68aa928ee9b1cc.png

Show the sheet, double click to open

You can also open the Drawing Sheet Setup dialog from the menus.  File->Print->Drawing Sheet Setup.  You will want to do this for the cad detail you are working in since you can have different drawing sheet setups for different cad details.

Also, just to reinforce what others have mentioned, you should always draw your details at 1:1 and then scale them when you send to layout.  You should make sure the drawing sheet is setup using the paper size and scale that you plan to use when you send it to layout.  You also should use print preview (or at least show line weights) if you want to see what your line styles will actually look like when printed or sent to layout. 

Another thing to watch for is to make sure that your Endcap Printed Length in preferences is set to an appropriate value.  If your endcap is set to 1/4" and your line is only 1/2" long when printed, it will look solid.

• Upvote 1

If you have on one sheet a 1/4":1' and 1/2":1' and 1":1'  how do you compensate for the the dashed lines?

While you are creating the views you need to see the line types as they will appear on the drawing sheet.

I've been sending to layout with "Use Layout Line Scaling" off & depending on scale of each detail for line weight & type.

I take it making separate CAD details for each intended scale is the way one can combine drawings of different scales on one layout?

Yes.

actually it looks like the layout page scaling overrides what is chosen for the CAD details .. I am still looking for a way to set the line type scaling.

If you want your line weights and styles to match what they will be on layout, then you need to setup the drawing sheet in the cad detail to match the scale you intend to send it to layout as.  If you actually send it at a different scale, or change the scale in either location later, then they will not match.

There is some more information in this tech article:

https://www.chiefarchitect.com/support/article/KB-00923/understanding-and-adjusting-line-weight-scaling.html

If all else fails, we do have additional training resources available, including one-on-one personal training:

https://www.chiefarchitect.com/training/