13x PLAN file not opening anywhere with anything

MorganW

Howdy, My father is a custom home builder / RE developer and has a CA x10 license on a high end rig (no compute or memory issues)

I didn't want to trouble him with a plan until my wife had it sussed out to her liking, so I hired a young guy in the Ukraine to build it all with her feedback and then do some lumion renders.

Everything looks great.

But when I had him give me a .PLAN file it doesn't open on my dad's PC.  Same goes for a DWG.  I can open it with a trial version but I have no idea what Im doing.

Is there some kind of service, some one I can give this file to that can make it run on x10?

I'm a technical guy, I just thought that legacy file stuff like this is thing of past....

I attached the DWG file, the PLAN file is 15MB

What do you suggest?

001 (2).png

01 (2).jpg

02 (2).jpg

0001.png

plan file.dwg

If you zip and post the plan file I can tell you what version it was written in or you can open the file yourself in notepad and take a look.

Unfortunately plan files are not backwards compatible and a competent user should have made you aware of that.

• Like 1

17 minutes ago, MorganW said:

Why wouldn't this export to DWG?

This can be exported to DWG by an x13 user but that makes it only cad lines so the model is gone in that case.  Your best bet would be to use the trial version to make sure that you have all your fixes/adjustments figured out then hire a competent user to make the needed changes for you in x13... Or you talk to your Dad into upgrading (well worth it from x10 with the major changes.)

"Is there some kind of service, some one I can give this file to that can make it run on x10?"

Not unless you want to pay someone else to redraw the plan in X10.  

The bottom line is that we currently can't write plan files that are compatible with older versions of the software.  The program is still evolving far too rapidly to make this feasible and the plan files would be so "lossy" that they would probably not actually be very useful.

"What do you suggest?"

Instead of paying some guy in the Ukraine using a hacked version to design this building, you could always buy your father an upgrade to X13 and then pay him appropriately for his time and expertise to finish it.  I would guess that this is a pretty small investment relative to the construction costs for a project of this size.

• Like 1

46 minutes ago, Dermot said:

Instead of paying some guy in the Ukraine using a hacked version to design this building,

Did you slooth that from the plan file ?  No need to say how here but the file did not look quite right to me at first glance.

49 minutes ago, Dermot said:

I would guess that this is a pretty small investment relative to the construction costs for a project of this size.

@MorganW  You may want to take the money that your guy in Ukraine is asking for and invest it with Chief Architect and teach that guy a lesson on how business if done.

Chief Architect is cracked?  I'm sorry I had no idea.  I thought software licenses were pretty solid now.  I assumed students were using this stuff in architect classes. I had no idea what it even costs.

Don't take this the wrong way, but it's 2021.

Story:

I had previously approved plans from city, and wife wanted to make some changes.   When I asked my dad what software he used for modeling he said CA.  He's not an architect, so I didn't want to waste his time.  I found some student, gave him PDFS and he imported them into CA.  I was all SUPER SMOOTH.  And here we are....

And whoo-boy.

It turns out the upgrade driver at CA lots of easily cracked new software and no backwards compatibility because "The program is still evolving far too rapidly to make this feasible and the plan files would be so "lossy" that they would probably not actually be very useful."

Associate of mine founded Unity 3D so I'm at loss for old files don't open. 

I'm going to need to find someone to redraw this thing, mostly so my dad doesn't laugh at me, his tech founder son.  

NOTE there is an official FL architect on the project (he did the original drawings), but he doesn't come into this until we are thru planning and zoning. His $20K fee only handles the mechanicals and engineering sign offs, and on principal, I'm not paying more than that.

But I appreciate the biz model, seriously.  And again, no idea this was hacked. 

• Downvote 1

50 minutes ago, MorganW said:

But I appreciate the biz model, seriously.  And again, no idea this was hacked.

How would you know? I am guessing Dermot has a way of knowing ( works for CA )  but it is not that the Cracked Version

is not backward compatible , Chief has NEVER been backward compatible AFAIAA , and I've been using CA Products for 12+ years now.

M.

• Like 1

Chief has never been backward compatible and never will be

With Chief's 3D model there is simply to much complexity to go backward

If the plan uses a feature from NEW version and it was saved as PRIOR version

what would be done with any features that were used in NEW version that PRIOR version doesn't have ?

just leave big holes in the plan - leave stuff dangling unattached out in cad space ?

Lew 

• Upvote 1