Edit "CAD Block Detail Layer Set"?

ACADuser

14 minutes ago, ACADuser said:

When you edit a CAD block in the user Library where does the "CAD Block Detail Layer Set" come from?

1st thought......Layerset Defaults perhaps?   it's one of the Options here :    * I think I remember changing it a while back?

image.thumb.png.b9f4aa781983dce8552c2748929f3335.png

31 minutes ago, Chopsaw said:

Did you try editing the layer in Plan View ?

You can edit the Layer via Layerset Management

It seems no matter where or in what SVP you are in, the Edit CAD Block Tool calls up it's own CAD Detail (SP)View , with Plan Default Set, Plan Dims and CAD Block Detail Set Layerset initially.

If you Open the CAD Detail Specs, with the Edit View Tool you can access the Selected Defaults for that View.....

At least at this point I have not found a place to change the Defaults for the CAD Detail Specification ....Dermot?

image.thumb.png.6d22263bc3bbed29710026831223822f.png

3 minutes ago, Kbird1 said:

At least at this point I have not found a place to change the Defaults for the CAD Detail Specification ....Dermot?

It would also be nice to know if there is a way to save the newly edited Cad Detail without closing the window and getting the pop up that asks.

Maybe my question wasn't clear enough.  Take a look at the picture below for what I meant.  The title of the window says "Temporary Library Browser Document".  It does not say "Untitled 7" like the other window.  These windows are not part of the same document.  Changes in one will not result in changes in the other.  The same as if you had two different plans open.

When you edit a cad block from the library browser, the program will open a special cad detail window that is using a temporary document that was created just for this purpose.  Making any changes to any of your settings in this temporary document will not affect any other documents that you may have open.  There are a couple of caveats to this though.  For example, if you create a new custom layer and assign it to one of the cad objects in your cad block, then the cad block will "own" this layer.  If you then place this cad block into a new plan, then the program should also copy this new layer into the plan.

This only happens when you edit a cad block in the library.  If you edit a cad block from within a plan, the program does not need to do this.   

You might see similar issues when editing other objects from the library. If you use the "Define" button from one of the specification dialogs, you are not actually defining the properties for any plans that are currently open, only the temporary library browser document.

Temporary Library Browser Document.png

• Like 1

19 minutes ago, Dermot said:

The title of the window says "Temporary Library Browser Document".  It does not say "Untitled 7" like the other window.  These windows are not part of the same document.  Changes in one will not result in changes in the other.  The same as if you had two different plans open.

Can't speak for Others , but I did Notice the TLBD Window name , so then tested the Edit CAD Block Tool in a CAD Detail and IN Plan and it seems to use a hardcoded set of "Selected defaults" for that CAD View, ( not sure why it doesn't use the CAD Detail Anno though) which seems to only be editable AFTER the View is created.

M.

OK I have about 15 layers that I made to use in cad blocks & the line weights are not always correct in all layer sets.

I open the block to edit & some line weight are way out of wack, 25 or 18 when they need to be 3.

I know it only trashes what I see in the edit window but I want WYSIWYG.

So Chief gets these, unique to me, layers from somewhere. I'd like to know where.

I'll spend so more time tomorrow to see if I can figure it out on my own.

PS How about this example.

I want to correct 3 or 4 similar blocks and each one I must edit the line weight to see what they look like before i save them.

Sorry to be so picky.

12 minutes ago, ACADuser said:

So Chief gets these, unique to me, layers from somewhere. I'd like to know where.

So they aren't in your CAD Block Detail Set Layerset?

12 minutes ago, ACADuser said:

I open the block to edit & some line weight are way out of wack, 25 or 18 when they need to be 3.

Sounds like some of the unblocked items are not using the Layer for color or linestyle ( see checkboxes )

Mick.

I think it uses whatever layer set was last active in your default template plan.   So you may want to fix up all of your layers in your default template plan first.

Please be aware that I think it only creates this temporary document once and then keeps it in memory. So if you were to do something to change your default template, it won't update until you restart the program.

Another option, that might make it easier to control the layer settings, would be to place the cad block into a plan that you know is setup correctly, edit the cad block from there, and then save it back into the library.

34 minutes ago, Dermot said:

I think it uses whatever layer set was last active in your default template plan

This, appears to be correct  guess what color I made all the Text in that file.....

* the second part is correct as well

Please be aware that I think it only creates this temporary document once so if you were to do something to change your default template that it won't update until you restart the program.

image.thumb.png.b88ffc03ae4d6a031ab1d31f4b23da85.png

Well it's not quite correct. I'll live with this condition.

Attached is the active set in the template file.

Next is the Library Block Edit layer set.

Very odd that some layers were added, one line weight was changed, and visibility was uncheck in some.

The block that I was editing had only CAD, Default layer in it.

Layer Def Set.PNG

Layer CAD Block.PNG