Saving files and Transferring license

BillsburgChief

I'm confussed on how to tranfer my license to a new computer, I have always had my files on an external hard drive, is this something I shouldn't do?  My saved backups are saved on to my hard drive, which I eventually move to my external hardrive.  To transfer my license do I need to use Backup Entire Plan tool to save ALL of my files? or should I move my saved files from my external drive to my hard drive to avoid any file coruption and/or data loss and be able to contiue working on my projects?

"Do note that plan and layout files that were designed and saved on one computer will need to be transferred to the secondary computer if you'd like to continue working on them. Consider utilizing the Backup Entire Plan/Project tool prior to transferring Chief Architect files between computers."

"It's also important to remember to only work on plan and layout files that are saved on your local machine's hard drive. Working on files over a network server, external hard drive, cloud storage service, or USB flash drive type device is not recommended, as file corruption and data loss can occur."

Just Install Chief On the new Computer and then use Your Digital Locker to "make available" ( deactivates old computer license) and then enter your Code ( available in the Digital locker ) on the new Computer to activate it.

more info here on that : https://www.chiefarchitect.com/support/article/KB-00956/using-chief-architect-on-multiple-computers.html

No need to do an entire backup on every plan , just copy your Plan/Project folder to your Ext. HDD and then copy it onto the new computer.

You can also do the same with the Chief Data Folder in Documents and copy it to Documents on the new computer ( I just rename the exist folder with _OLD on the end ) while Chief is CLOSED.

To bring over all the Libraries ( saves downloading them all again and reinstalling ) follow Chief Content Backup and Restore Articles here:

https://www.chiefarchitect.com/support/article/KB-00001/backing-up-chief-architect-content.html

and

https://www.chiefarchitect.com/support/article/KB-00091/restoring-chief-architect-content.html 

"Just Install Chief On the new Computer and then use Your Digital Locker to "make available" ( deactivates old computer license) and then enter your Code ( available in the Digital locker ) on the new Computer to activate it."

Mick - I can deactivate it (and reactivate it) but there is nothing in my digital locker, do you think this is a technical issue?

14 minutes ago, BillsburgChief said:

"Just Install Chief On the new Computer and then use Your Digital Locker to "make available" ( deactivates old computer license) and then enter your Code ( available in the Digital locker ) on the new Computer to activate it."

Mick - I can deactivate it (and reactivate it) but there is nothing in my digital locker, do you think this is a technical issue?

Eric maybe right , as you should see each version of Chief you own listed 

including any you upgraded if you check the show Upgraded Prod. Keys. check-box.

There should also be a Make Available Button so you can switch between computers eg a desktop and laptop

( or old and new computer ) click it to make available to another computer.

Once you de-activate on old computer ( above) , open Chief on the new computer and it should ask to activate if needed ...

put in your Code/Key and that should be it, ie Chief should open as normal on the new computer....

M.

Ohhhhhhh

Are you really still on X7 ? ....I didn't notice that earlier  , it will only show if you use the Check box to show ALL versions as I mentioned above....

X7 was the 1st version to allow online license switches I believe , at least in my Digital Locker I have a Make Available button for it.

Mick.