Shed Roof with Loft

ChiefuserMathews

hello could someone help me with this roof? Attached is the plan. On the back side (which is bottom side on the plan) I need a 18 feet high shed roof which slopes towards the front 8 feet and there is a loft on the front side. I could get the shed roof, but dont know where should I adjust the height. I am not able to generate the wall for the loft which should come out of the shed roof. File size is big, hence zipped the file

221024.rar

11 hours ago, ChiefuserMathews said:

hello could someone help me with this roof? Attached is the plan. On the back side (which is bottom side on the plan) I need a 18 feet high shed roof which slopes towards the front 8 feet and there is a loft on the front side. I could get the shed roof, but dont know where should I adjust the height. I am not able to generate the wall for the loft which should come out of the shed roof. File size is big, hence zipped the file

221024.rar 2.1 MB · 0 downloads

Doesn't look lie a zip file.  But that is a very commonly asked question so you should be able to search for the answer.

Hint all auto roofs.  large room below with 8' ceiling height (unclick flat ceiling over this room) set pitch on eave end of roof to whatever the pitch is that will give you the required heights (if your building is 24' wide and you are going from 8 to 18' height that means it is a 5:12 pitch).  Set your two end walls and upper wall to high gable/shed roof.  Set roofs (edited from misprint walls) to ignore 2nd floor, build your 2nd floor loft on the high side of that roof....

Ryan is saying that your compressed plan file is in " .rar " file format and not " .zip ". There is nothing "wrong" with RAR files, it is just that one has to install special software to open .rar files and .zip files are natively supported by Windows PC's at least that is what I think Ryan was indicating.

DJP

I installed "Win RAR", downloaded your plan, looked at it. I cannot tell just from this and your post above, exactly what you wish as an end product, sorry. I am sure it is "CLEAR" to you but, in terms of helping you, I cannot figure out from your plan file and post, what you need and want as an end result.

DJP

16 minutes ago, DavidJPotter said:

Ryan is saying that your compressed plan file is in " .rar " file format and not " .zip ". There is nothing "wrong" with RAR files, it is just that one has to install special software to open .rar files and .zip files are natively supported by Windows PC's at least that is what I think Ryan was indicating.

DJP

I can recommend 7zip to everyone , it is Free, and adds a nice right click Menu, I have used it for years and is currently at Version 19 (stable) , most people will need the X64 .msi Installer version from here :

https://www.7-zip.org/download.html

The main features of 7-Zip

• High compression ratio in 7z format with LZMA and LZMA2 compression
  • Supported formats:
    • Packing / unpacking: 7z, XZ, BZIP2, GZIP, TAR, ZIP and WIM
    • Unpacking only: AR, ARJ, CAB, CHM, CPIO, CramFS, DMG, EXT, FAT, GPT, HFS, IHEX, ISO, LZH, LZMA, MBR, MSI, NSIS, NTFS, QCOW2, RAR, RPM, SquashFS, UDF, UEFI, VDI, VHD, VMDK, WIM, XAR and Z.
  • For ZIP and GZIP formats, 7-Zip provides a compression ratio that is 2-10 % better than the ratio provided by PKZip and WinZip
  • Strong AES-256 encryption in 7z and ZIP formats
  • Self-extracting capability for 7z format
  • Integration with Windows Shell
  • Powerful File Manager
  • Powerful command line version
  • Plugin for FAR Manager
  • Localizations for 87 languages

7-Zip works in Windows 10 / 8 / 7 / Vista / XP / 2019 / 2016 / 2012 / 2008 / 2003 / 2000.

Mick.

10 hours ago, ChiefuserMathews said:

I could get the shed roof, but dont know where should I adjust the height

You shouldn't need too when setup right but....

1.) you haven't set level 1 to have a 8' Ceiling  ( Roof builds off top plate at back hence needs to be 96" )

2.) you need the Correct pitch ( 4 5/8 /12" ) .........which can easily be found with a few CAD Lines

- Draw 3 lines representing the Front wall and Back wall and the distance between them

- Use the Close Polygon Icon to close the Box

- Open Closed Polygon after selecting sloped line and get angle.... change number style to read as pitch/12

3.) put pitch into Roof build DBX and auto build Roof

image.thumb.png.b739a2e7cd37b62e898b2a9354e22253.pngimage.thumb.png.cf8a82c75fa17f762589f1ba01aeabfd.png

1 hour ago, DavidJPotter said:

DJP

Yup.  Much harder for Apple users and I personally won’t install a program to look at it.  So with the same concept of not asking people to download a pdf file to look at your issue instead of including a win rar file I would recommend an actual zip file which natively is able to be unpacked across all systems.

Mick is explaining what I said above and if you go step by step paying attention to both posts this will be very easy to do.

Best of luck!

57 minutes ago, Kbird1 said:

You shouldn't need too when setup right but....

1.) you haven't set level 1 to have a 8' Ceiling  ( Roof builds off top plate at back hence needs to be 96" )

2.) you need the Correct pitch ( 4 5/8 /12" ) .........which can easily be found with a few CAD Lines

- Draw 3 lines representing the Front wall and Back wall and the distance between them

- Use the Close Polygon Icon to close the Box

- Open Closed Polygon after selecting sloped line and get angle.... change number style to read as pitch/12

3.) put pitch into Roof build DBX and auto build Roof

image.thumb.png.b739a2e7cd37b62e898b2a9354e22253.pngimage.thumb.png.cf8a82c75fa17f762589f1ba01aeabfd.png

Thank you Mike for the step by step procedure.