How to set Defaults for Custom Countertops?

MeganLDent

Does anyone know how to set the defaults for the custom countertop? I use the custom countertop tool exclusively to have more control over my countertops but every time I use it, I have to go in and adjust the thickness and height off the floor. Where can I find the defaults for this?

Megan,

I let my cabinets provide the countertops.  Then I just convert one to a custom countertop and start modifying.  As the custom countertop spans other cabinets the original countertops are automatically removed.

I don't recall if there was ever a separate default for custom countertops.  I checked X10 and there wasn't a separate default there so ...........

• Like 1

There are no separate counter top defaults.  The program will get the default counter top thickness, height, and material from your base cabinet defaults even if your base cabinets have the "Countertop" checkbox turned off.  As far as I know, this has not changed in recent versions although I can't remember when we added the checkbox for the counter top because in the old days you used to have to set the thickness to 0 to get rid of it.

I also like using Joe's technique of letting the base cabinets build an automatic counter top and then replacing this with a custom one when needed.  One easy way to do this is to first select all of the cabinets you want and then use the "Generate Custom Countertop" edit tool.  This tool is actually easier than drawing them manually because it should keep all of your overhangs and corner treatments.

Normally, countertops will use the height of the base cabinet that is below them.  In most cases, you should not need to adjust the height unless you don't want it to sit on top of a base cabinet for some reason, like when it is not actually over one.

• Like 1
  • Upvote 1