X13 "A serious error occurred..

mrdese

.. (SEH). Please contact Chief Architect Technical Support with steps to reproduce"

All I did was opening a new Perspective Floor Overview, Edit Active View, rename and hit OK.

As I've done many times in X13. This time, a SEH.

I don't know, don't feel like reporting. This X13 is riddled with unexpected terminations. X12 was a beautiful thing, this X13..

I am at my wit's end, really don't care anymore X13 is soo crappy. Eg, why this sluggish cursor in Cross Section View? Why? In X12 it was silk smooth. It's just a cross section view.

What are your thoughts? 

Clipboard Image.jpg

• Downvote 2

7 minutes ago, Joe_Carrick said:

It probably has to do with your GPUs and having your second monitor on the GTX-1080.  X13 doesn't support multiple GPUs so you should connect both monitors to the RTX-3080.  You might even want to uninstall the GTX-1080.

This was discussed in another thread.

Please let us know how you make out regarding Joe's suggestion. Thanks-BB

All I did was opening a new Perspective Floor Overview, Edit Active View, rename and hit OK.

As I've done many times in X13. This time, a SEH.

I don't know, don't feel like reporting. This X13 is riddled with unexpected terminations. X12 was a beautiful thing, this X13..

I am at my wit's end, really don't care anymore X13 is soo crappy. Eg, why this sluggish cursor in Cross Section View? Why? In X12 it was silk smooth. It's just a cross section view.

What are your thoughts? 

I'm sorry that you are experiencing so many problems but I don't think anyone can actually help you.  You are trying to use an unsupported and untested configuration (using two separate graphics cards in the same computer) and we have already told you this is probably the main source of your problems.  If you wish to use the software and experience far fewer problems, then you should disconnect one of your graphics cards and run your multiple monitors using just the one.  If you are still experiencing problems after this, then you should work with technical support because I am confident that they can help you solve them.

Regarding the sluggish cursor in cross section views, if you have not downloaded and installed the latest update (23.2.1.3) then you should do this because there was an issue that was corrected in the update.  If you are still experiencing problems with the latest update, then you will need to work with our technical support team.  No one will be able to answer the "why" without a plan that includes all of the referenced files along with a good description of what you are doing when you experience these slow downs.

Also, the suggestions forum is really the wrong place for this kind of post (but I see that a moderator has since moved it).  These kinds of problems are usually best handled through technical support because we almost always need more information than we can get on the forums.

• Upvote 4

I have 6 monitors and the odd issue with X13 but disconnecting one of my two GPUs isn't an option as each only supports 4 monitors.  Interestingly some of the issues aren't related to the dual GPUs (lifetime in software development often using GPU rendering) but support just see the multiple GPU config and that's end of case.

• Upvote 1
  • Downvote 1

Simon,

It might not be a problem if you can limit Chief to just the 4 monitors connected to your best GPU.  Since Chief can only recognize one GPU/Driver (see Preferences>Render>Video Card Status) that might solve the problem.  Your other 2 monitors could be relegated to other Apps.  

The errors probably occur when Chief tries to render something on a Monitor connected to the secondary GPU/Driver - which Chief doesn't know about.  

• Upvote 1

5 hours ago, Joe_Carrick said:

It probably has to do with your GPUs and having your second monitor on the GTX-1080.  X13 doesn't support multiple GPUs so you should connect both monitors to the RTX-3080.  You might even want to uninstall the GTX-1080.

This was discussed in another thread.

Yea, but.. how come all other software [n.b. Blender] in my setup improves on and on, keep impressing me. As has Chief Architect done. Then this nose dive. I don't get it. X13 is still usable but man.. these unexpected terminations. It's like back in the -90's, baby software. It does certainly not have anything with my "setup", rather CA devs doesn't have mine.

There is no way I am gonna dictate what to do or don't with my hardware  

>>Also, the suggestions forum is really the wrong place for this kind of post but I am guessing that you already know this.  <<

Really? Muzzled?

• Downvote 7

3 hours ago, Dermot said:

I'm sorry that you are experiencing so many problems but I don't think anyone can actually help you.  You are trying to use an unsupported and untested configuration (using two separate graphics cards) and we have already told you this is probably the main source of your problems.  If you wish to use the software and experience far fewer problems, then you should disconnect one of your graphics cards and run your multiple monitors using just the one.  If you are still experiencing problems after this, then you should work with technical support because I am confident that they can help you solve them.

Regarding the sluggish cursor in cross section views, if you have not downloaded and installed the latest update (23.2.1.3) then you should do this because there was an issue that was corrected in the update.  If you are still experiencing problems with the latest update, then you will need to work with our technical support team.  No one will be able to answer the "why" without a plan that includes all of the referenced files along with a good description of what you are doing when you experience these slow downs.

Also, the suggestions forum is really the wrong place for this kind of post but I am guessing that you already know this.  

I find your post unpleasant. Different I guess you are a millennial perhaps, me not. I have been most back alleys, delt with software gone haywire. Please do not reply, I simply do not care, Chief Architect is to me a goner  

• Downvote 11

3 hours ago, Dermot said:

I'm sorry that you are experiencing so many problems but I don't think anyone can actually help you.  You are trying to use an unsupported and untested configuration (using two separate graphics cards) and we have already told you this is probably the main source of your problems.  If you wish to use the software and experience far fewer problems, then you should disconnect one of your graphics cards and run your multiple monitors using just the one.  If you are still experiencing problems after this, then you should work with technical support because I am confident that they can help you solve them.

Also, the suggestions forum is really the wrong place for this kind of post but I am guessing that you already know this.  

My three monitors are connected to the RTX, other GPU card unplugged. What's next? Cross Section View is what Blender was 15 years ago.

Other software may be able to determine what hardware a particular view is being shown on - but CA explicitely changed their 3D Graphics to take advantage of the RTX cards when available.  This was a very complex redesign and they evidently didn't anticipate users having 2 or more different GPUs using potentially different Drivers.  I can only imagine that handling multiple graphics hardware would not be an easy thing to do - especially considering all the ramifications of going from OpenGL to DirectX.  

X13 was about 6 months late being released (than anticipated) and there are still updates being done to fix some problems - mostly Graphic related.

• Upvote 1

23 hours ago, Joe_Carrick said:

Simon,

It might not be a problem if you can limit Chief to just the 4 monitors connected to your best GPU.  Since Chief can only recognize one GPU/Driver (see Preferences>Render>Video Card Status) that might solve the problem.  Your other 2 monitors could be relegated to other Apps.  

The errors probably occur when Chief tries to render something on a Monitor connected to the secondary GPU/Driver - which Chief doesn't know about.  

I always limit Chief to 3 of those monitors all using the same GPU and that's what I've always stated to support but this is always ignored.

I see I've been down voted for stating what has happened with my support cases and given I managed the development of complex GPU related software for global corporations and have offered virtual machine images to prove my case with GUI issues (not 3D rendering ) and got a response saying Chief doesn't work in virtual machines.  I don't know what else I can do - there seems to be a blinker vision with some issues. 

• Upvote 1
  • Downvote 1

23 hours ago, mrdese said:

My three monitors are connected to the RTX, other GPU card unplugged. What's next? Cross Section View is what Blender was 15 years ago.

Would you mind confirming whether or not your 3d connexion device or it's dongle/receiver is plugged into the computer? I mentioned this in your previous thread, there is a known issue with the 3d connexion mouse and plan/elevation views if the connexion mouse is not plugged in. Possibly play around with different USB ports. (not to be mistaken with connexion configs or drivers, this issue is specific to the port and the presence of the hardware)
Aside from that I would suggest resetting any GeForce Profiles, or possibly delete and re-establish one for Chief as this has been a known fix for users that may have previously changed some settings in the base profile

Cheers

On 9/21/2021 at 5:18 AM, mrdese said:

11 minutes ago, Renerabbitt said:

Aside from that I would suggest resetting any GeForce Profiles, or possibly delete and re-establish one for Chief as this has been a known fix for users that may have previously changed some settings in the base profile

DItto to Rene's suggestion and ANY other GPU overlay software.

I was having random crashes with regularity but not sufficiently reproducible to send in. Then started getting one that I could reproduce and contacted support. Along the way they mentioned GPU overlay software, monitors AND control panel. I checked all of those I had though none were running as a rule except Control Panel. I reset Nvidia CP to default and have not had a crash since. I was also told by Kbird that there are issues with RIva Tuner (and I think Nahimic)

20 hours ago, MarkMc said:

I was also told by Kbird that there are issues with RIva Tuner (and I think Nahimic)

Yes both are listed on Chief's Known incompatibilities webpage which I have also reposted to a Thread in the Tips Forum for Forum Users to Find.

There is also a fuller Post on the Nahimic Issue related to multiple monitors in the Tips forum.