Not getting new material (a color) right

GeneDavis

I am about to do some renders for clients wanting specific colors not available in Chief's libraries, and am failing to get the color right.

Following the directions, I right click on my owner library, drop down to new material, name the material, click the material panel, which opens up the color window, click and drag the eyedropper to my color which is in a window on the same screen, and lo and behold, some muddy version of the color is what gets generated.

What's the secret?  I have a red-green colorblindness, so some colors don't register with me the same as you, but this blue seems all wrong.

Screenshot 2021-09-19 132155.png

55 minutes ago, GeneDavis said:

What's the secret? 

No real secret Gene and can't figure out how that color came up with your eyedropper. Something is amiss, maybe your technique or order of selection but shouldn't be that difficult nor should that color come up if you are choosing the blue on the screen. Not much help afraid. Here's an idea though. Instead of choosing a brand new material, use an existing color and 'copy' it, then change the properties of that new copy. It will remove a step and might help?

1 hour ago, GeneDavis said:

What's the secret?  I have a red-green colorblindness, so some colors don't register with me the same as you,

I think Chief has the same sort of issues.  It is almost like it picks up a partial pixel rather than a sampling of 6 or 8.

Curious if anyone who has a calibrated screen can get it to work consistently in any sort of an accurate way ?

3 minutes ago, Chopsaw said:

Curious if anyone who has a calibrated screen can get it to work consistently in any sort of an accurate way ?

NEVER accurate but mostly close enough for clients after fiddling a bit. Also the monitor you get the color perfect on is not the same monitor that it will be viewed on and 'accurate' is subjective at best but that color in the OP? Don't really understand that.

Many Paint manufacturers supply the RGB numbers ( see Chopsaw's pic above or mine below ) on their websites for the colors,

eg. BM and SW, have them,  so you can try that but if you don't have a color accurate monitor as Larry mentioned it may still not look right.

Not sure how you got Black Gene if you clicked on the Blue as it seems to work okay....

My try using EyeDropper 

image.thumb.png.b7c3f775f669d5dbf2d4f91ecb85b5cd.png

• Upvote 1

Also be aware that not only the monitor will make a difference to the displayed color, but the orientation of the colored surface and the shading will make a huge difference to the perceived color. 

For vector views, the Shading Contrast setting will also make a huge difference.

This is not shadows, but rather the result of the Shading Contrast setting:

Screen Shot 2021-09-20 at 11.04.40 am.jpg

7 hours ago, GeneDavis said:

And how does one get those numbers?  This one is a color offered by a millwork company.

You would have to ask them if it is not posted on the Web like S.Williams colours , the Hex Value will work too.

image.thumb.png.d6ae0d637255629e6f9757516bf63c75.png

Perhaps suggest they supply a fully Library for use in Chief if you use them regularly.

There are also color convert websites like this one ....but I don't see REEB.

https://convertingcolors.com/list/sherwin-williams.html

https://convertingcolors.com/list/benjamin-moore.html

Mick

• Upvote 1