Wall invisible in 3D, but wall is not invisible?

Rander91

Hello all!

I'm having an issue in my physical 3D rendering that doesn't show up in any other rendering method. Its an automatic attic wall between a non-flat ceiling room and another that is flat. I cannot figure out what is causing it. I've attached pictures of the physical vs standard rendering to show what I mean. Does anyone know what might be causing it?

Thank you in advance!

Texture problem.jpg

Texture problem std.jpg

1 hour ago, solver said:

Please check your messages -- envelope icon top of page.

For many, maybe most questions, attaching a plan file will help others provide the best suggestions, and will eliminate the guessing that often occurs when there is no plan.

14MB file size limit, and the plan cannot be open in Chief when you upload. Usually just need the plan and not a full backup.

Thank you, I've made the changes to my profile and will do this in the future. I will also work on uploading a copy of the plan.

1 hour ago, Kbird1 said:

Different camera Layersets?  with Attic Walls Layer turned off in one?

M.

I double checked this and it was not the issue. The 2 attached pictures are the same camera, I only changed the render method. I will work on uploading a copy of the plans.

2 hours ago, Rander91 said:

Hello all!

I'm having an issue in my physical 3D rendering that doesn't show up in any other rendering method. Its an automatic attic wall between a non-flat ceiling room and another that is flat. I cannot figure out what is causing it. I've attached pictures of the physical vs standard rendering to show what I mean. Does anyone know what might be causing it?

Thank you in advance!

Texture problem.jpg

Texture problem std.jpg

It's not invisible, it's just really bright! If you post the plan I'll take a look and offer some suggestions.

Plan file attached! Thank you again for all the help!

Side note: I'm completely self taught on this program up until this thread, so if you happen across anything else that you recommend a better way or a fix for, or if you have any recourses beyond the chief architect videos that could help me learn more, I would hugely appreciate a tip!

Hutchings Rendering.zip

A few things to consider for PBR views: reduce the backdrop intensity to around 500, adjust the sunlight to around 1000, use a light set for each camera. For the great room, I'd suggest adding a ceiling plane. And use a backdrop with a nice view to the exterior.

Don't use a 0 thickness layer for ceiling finish, just edit the ceiling material and use 1 layer.

image.thumb.png.7dfe1c988fea6657f471a0243e4b4d10.png

On 9/17/2021 at 4:37 PM, robdyck said:

A few things to consider for PBR views: reduce the backdrop intensity to around 500, adjust the sunlight to around 1000, use a light set for each camera. For the great room, I'd suggest adding a ceiling plane. And use a backdrop with a nice view to the exterior.

Don't use a 0 thickness layer for ceiling finish, just edit the ceiling material and use 1 layer.

Thank you so much! I didn't know about the other settings available. For this customer, the ceiling plan must follow the existing rafter lines. Ill play with the ceiling plans and see where it stops the light bleed but maintains the existing look. I hadn't modified the ceiling thickness, so it must be an issue with my defaults there. Either way, thank you for the help and bringing so many other settings and methods to my attention! that looks fantastic!

On 9/17/2021 at 4:37 PM, robdyck said:

I've made the changes you suggested and I'm still having the issue. Could it be another reflectivity setting I don't know about somewhere that's causing this?

740917231_HutchingsRenderingproblemv2.thumb.jpg.0004247a323f1c4d5e448e771603e046.jpg

Sorry for being such a pain on this, It's completely baffling me. Thank you again for all the help!

Hutchings Rendering.zip

6 minutes ago, rlackore said:

When PBR was introduced, I had this issue whenever I had a camera that was showing more than one floor, e.g. open-to-below areas, stairwells, etc. This is one reason I gave up on PBR shortly thereafter.

I completely understand that, I typically stick to vector and line drawings for speed and sometimes will overlay line drawings on standard renderings for a bit more detail. This customer is a bit more particular and is wanting to have clear and concise designs for the builders to replicate as close as possible so I've made the jump to PBR for this project.

9 hours ago, Rander91 said:

Could it be another reflectivity setting I don't know about somewhere that's causing this?

It has nothing to do with that.

Here's your image with ceiling planes that match the pitch of the roof. All I can say is don't keep trying the same thing and expect different results.:) I'm suggesting the ceiling planes for a reason.

image.thumb.png.8f2883e63e329716efe09544eab02549.png

11 hours ago, Rander91 said:

Sorry for being such a pain on this, It's completely baffling me. Thank you again for all the help!

Hey Ryan, tried a few different things, ceiling planes etc. still looked like your initial post. The attic wall is there as noted by others it just doesn't render properly, at least not on my rig.

I'm pretty sure they call this a software bug. Have you contacted tech support? 

12 hours ago, HumbleChief said:

Hey Ryan, tried a few different things, ceiling planes etc. still looked like your initial post. The attic wall is there as noted by others it just doesn't render properly, at least not on my rig.

I'm pretty sure they call this a software bug. Have you contacted tech support? 

I have not, It looks like that will be my next step. I have a couple things I want to try such as repair of the program and changing the ceiling planes to another pitch and verification of the thickness as mentioned by another user before. If those fail I'll be contacting tech support.

Thank you!

32 minutes ago, Rander91 said:

I have not, It looks like that will be my next step. I have a couple things I want to try such as repair of the program and changing the ceiling planes to another pitch and verification of the thickness as mentioned by another user before. If those fail I'll be contacting tech support.

Thank you!

I don't see what video card you are using in your sig? My 1080 gives me the original results with different ceiling planes etc. Curious.

4 minutes ago, HumbleChief said:

I don't see what video card you are using in your sig? My 1080 gives me the original results with different ceiling planes etc. Curious.

Thank you for bringing that to my attention, I just added my GPU to my signature. its a GTX 1660 Super

I believe the 1080 will show the Original PBR views after Chief decided the 10 series weren't fast enough due to not having RTX Cores, I don't think the 1660 does either , but it should show on the Render TAB > VideoCard Status ....if RT-PBR is available. ie Hardware (Real-Time) Raytracing.

Couple of thoughts ....make sure all roof planes are joined properly especially since it is vaulted to avoid light leaks and I don't see any lighting in the Vaulted room at all which will cause Chief to add it's own "automatic light" if you don't provide it yourself.

image.thumb.png.9d6612c2449c1b7fc4414363a5f7efce.png

Mick.

2 hours ago, Kbird1 said:

I believe the 1080 will show the Original PBR views after Chief decided the 10 series weren't fast enough due to not having RTX Cores, I don't think the 1660 does either , but it should show on the Render TAB > VideoCard Status ....if RT-PBR is available. 

Couple of thoughts ....make sure all roof planes are joined properly especially since it is vaulted to avoid light leaks and I don't see any lighting in the Vaulted room at all which will cause Chief to add it's own "automatic light" if you don't provide it yourself.

image.thumb.png.9d6612c2449c1b7fc4414363a5f7efce.png

Mick.

Pretty sure PBR was always available for the 10 series cards, but not RTR. RTR requires the RTX cores I believe and I think that the OP's issue is with the much simpler PBR not RTR. Could be wrong about that but I could do PBR with my 1080 for a couple of versions now. Am I messing those facts up?

6 minutes ago, HumbleChief said:

Pretty sure PBR was always available for the 10 series cards, but not RTR. RTR requires the RTX cores I believe and I think that the OP's issue is with the much simpler PBR not RTR. Could be wrong about that but I could do PBR with my 1080 for a couple of versions now. Am I messing those facts up?

Nope , that's what I tried to say , not well apparently :) ...... we've had (software) PBR since X10 , they then started work on the new Astral Engine for the RTX hardware for Real Time (Hardware) Raytracing.

The 10 series and 16 Series can use the RTX APIs/Code after Nvidia allowed it in their Driver about 2 yrs ago,  but it is via software methods and much too slow in most situations and Chief removed it during Beta as even the 2000 series is significantly slower than the 3000 Series Cards.

M.

Hey Ryan, I wonder if this is interesting. I built a new out building copying walls and windows from your original plan with new roof planes and doors and windows from your plan and can't get the walls to NOT render properly. I left everything place, then deleted the original building for what you see. Does that point more to something in the original structure that's causing the issue and not really a bug? Dunno... Here's the plan. 

Hutchings Rendering NEW BUILDING.plan