deck framing with ledger board

SH_Canada

I find I am constantly building decks and then deleting posts. Footings beam where CA determines to put them.

In this example below I have a landing at the top of the stairs and CA put in 4 posts, where really I want two, and I want them about 10" in from the outside.

I know I can manually delete and move(PITA if I have to resize), but is there a way to automatically get just the two posts as the other two are not needed as the joists are hung on the ledger board?

I cannot even seem to get the outside beam to be at a certain distance. if for instance I try and do it by setting the beam spacing to something like 20" (for a 46") deck it will not do one at 40". When I specify 10" spacing, the inside and outside beam are offset  16" and the beams are 3 tight in the middle. Any idea where this initial 16 comes form?

watched a couple CA videos, searched the forum for "ledger" "deck", did not see anything

image.thumb.png.b72e7b0d5f04443e51f514588c1325e2.png

image.thumb.png.c371654c358fc720dbafa40d23cc5d25.png

I don't have any trouble getting one row of beams if I set the beam spacing to a value that is anything over the depth of the deck.

Admittedly it is not really exactly where want it.

It would be great to have control over that location.

Screen Shot 2021-09-17 at 3.00.09 pm.jpg

Screen Shot 2021-09-17 at 4.47.16 pm.jpg

thanks, putting the spacing at a value that exceeds the deck depth worked to only get one set of posts ...the only scenario I did not try.

but it still leaves a min of 16" to the end. On a 3' landing that does not meet the cantilever rule of thumb. ah well. I looked around at deck room defaults but did not find anything to control this. Also looked in the framing defaults but did not see anything.

On another note, for this second storey landing, the piles are showing on the first storey(1) instead of the foundation level(0). Any idea on how to get them to show up on the foundation level. i do not see anything in the pile(slab) dbx.

I suppose I could build everything on the first storey, but then I suppose the landing would not show on the second storey

image.thumb.png.7be9798968122badde311e017d00c4b5.png

image.thumb.png.b37c82766987feb6fbd3e2aae7078fe6.png

7 hours ago, jasonN said:

On another note, for this second storey landing, the piles are showing on the first storey(1) instead of the foundation level(0). Any idea on how to get them to show up on the foundation level. i do not see anything in the pile(slab) dbx.

You can use cad or a copy that has the same absolute elevation.  Cad if you are using the material list.

8 hours ago, jasonN said:

but it still leaves a min of 16" to the end.

This is hard-coded and has always been like that , despite multiple requests for the User to be able to Specify it.

8 hours ago, jasonN said:

On another note, for this second storey landing, the piles are showing on the first storey(1) instead of the foundation level(0). Any idea on how to get them to show up on the foundation level.

They always build on the floor below the one Drawn on , however you can usually copy and paste them to the FDN Level (* then delete off level one) as Chief will build the Posts down to the Terrain anyway.

Mick.

14 hours ago, jasonN said:

I find I am constantly building decks and then deleting posts. Footings beam where CA determines to put them.

In this example below I have a landing at the top of the stairs and CA put in 4 posts, where really I want two, and I want them about 10" in from the outside.

I know I can manually delete and move(PITA if I have to resize), but is there a way to automatically get just the two posts as the other two are not needed as the joists are hung on the ledger board?

I cannot even seem to get the outside beam to be at a certain distance. if for instance I try and do it by setting the beam spacing to something like 20" (for a 46") deck it will not do one at 40". When I specify 10" spacing, the inside and outside beam are offset  16" and the beams are 3 tight in the middle. Any idea where this initial 16 comes form?

watched a couple CA videos, searched the forum for "ledger" "deck", did not see anything

image.thumb.png.b72e7b0d5f04443e51f514588c1325e2.png

image.thumb.png.c371654c358fc720dbafa40d23cc5d25.png

I refuse to use Chief's auto deck framing items for any components that I need to show accurately. I usually need to place beams, post, and piles. For this, I have a group of these items blocked and in my library ready to use, set up to suit the code requirements for the regions I draw in. There's no point messing around with the auto garbage for decks; Chief gives us plenty of tools, some are sharper than others. The auto deck framing is a toy, not a tool.

7 hours ago, jasonN said:

Any idea on how to get them to show up on the foundation level. i do not see anything in the pile(slab) dbx.

6 hours ago, Kbird1 said:

They always build on the floor below the one Drawn on , however you can usually copy and paste them to the FDN Level as Chief will build the Posts down to the Terrain anyway.

Just one small comment to add instead of copy and paste use cut and paste hold position on the foundation level.

40 minutes ago, rgardner said:

Just one small comment to add instead of copy and paste use cut and paste hold position on the foundation level.

Yes that's how I normally do it , I have added the CUT Icon to my Toolbar , as I am not a keyboarder so don't use Hotkeys much.

image.thumb.png.f0cc0a912bd59a7ff550ee373bf27491.png