3d Cloud Viewer Issue

BuildingDesignNZ

Hi All 

I have been a chief user since Chief 97 or earlier I can't remember LOL. Prob 35 years now.

I had a break for 6 years and have recently upgraded form X6 to X12. 

I wanted to get a couple of plans under my belt before going to X13.

TBH I have found the transition form X6 to X12 and progression of chief very good.

Right to the point

3d cloud Viewer I have found linking to this has been quite good as apposed to sending them a client viewer to install as I did in the past.

BUT I hate them seeing my presentations in Basic view with no cladding textures and less plants etc

I have to instruct the client every time to go to rendering techniques and change the setting each time and its not professional.

I am going to go back to the old ways and not use the Cloud 3d viewer if we cant solve this.

At bare Minimum there needs to be a quick link or button on the front page giving the option rather than buried in the menus or just load Standard from the start.

Any of you have an Issue with this Issue or has it been tackled with chief?

Is there a reason for it?

samples low res screen grabs attached

Other than that Hi all finding being back really good you and Chief have done a good job since X6 :-)

Render.JPG

Render 1.JPG

Render 2.JPG

Render 3.JPG

Yes it is rather annoying for those of us that have a good high speed internet connection but I think Chief is concerned that there are still plenty of people that do not and they don't want the viewer to fail if it is capable of rendering in Basic mode on a marginal connection.

When the client first opens the viewer there is a little memo that momentarily pops up in the upper right corner of the screen but it is hardy there for long enough for a new user to notice.  It is definitely not the first thing someone would look at but it was the best that they came up with. ;)

image.png.2b8b716b656ce27cd3688efee360edea.png

Maybe some day it will be a little smarter and if it fails to open in Standard mode it would default to Basic.

Pretty sure they have a lot of other stuff to worry about before that though.

• Like 1
  • Upvote 1

Good to chat all

I don't have a high speed connection we are still on the old copper wire phone feed here at the office. Fibre is on order but Covid lockdown is holding that up.

So I don't think its a connection decision.

I did notice a difference when I spent 5K on upgrading my computer so it may be a Hardware decision.

Essentially Its a very good Idea. You don't have to send plan files or get them to install a viewer just a one click link.

The tools they have in it mean a few clicks here and there and a client can self teach and get by (although I do send the Utube link to the Instruction vid).

But in the end

That still leaves the first impression a client gets is a basic view and all the hours I have put into cladding plants and other details may get missed completely.

Which in my view makes the presentation in 3D Cloud substandard and unusable as a Chief tool.

It is a pity a few tweeks or (buttons on the load page) and it would be a wonderful tool.

16 hours ago, BuildingDesignNZ said:

Which in my view makes the presentation in 3D Cloud substandard and unusable as a Chief tool.

It is a pity a few tweeks or (buttons on the load page) and it would be a wonderful tool.

I agree. The tool itself is great, the visual presentation of the model is horrid. Especially interior surfaces; almost impossible to see where one surface ends and another begins, unless your design has a ton of contrasting colors.

• 2 months later...
20 hours ago, MN_JohnH said:

It would be nice if there was a way to use other rendering techniques like adding line over the standard view etc.
It seems like it could be a great tool but it falls short.

It has had Issues since we got X13 for some reason , and so far it has not been fixed that I am aware of ?

M.

It especially embarrassing when many other diy design apps have better basic 3d representation. I got sent a 'plan' from a prospective client with 3d views that was far far better than Chief's 3d viewer. Even the Houzz 3d app has a better basic presentation. 

Screwing around with raytracing on every job (for free) is not the answer!!

6 minutes ago, robdyck said:

It especially embarrassing when many other diy design apps have better basic 3d representation. I got sent a 'plan' from a prospective client with 3d views that was far far better than Chief's 3d viewer. Even the Houzz 3d app has a better basic presentation. 

Screwing around with raytracing on every job (for free) is not the answer!!

Just when I was thinking Standard View in X12 looked pretty good and there was no need to spend time on PBR, they broke it with X13...most unfortunate, though I'd love to see PBR work as easily as X12's STD View, but I am thinking it's not in the cards...... I bought a $12 DX11 game for Black Friday, to see what my 3080 can do and the game's 3D is impressive, if not Photorealistic, as it doesn't have RTX tech enhancements.

M.