Crashing with todays update

jtcapa1

It is just me or is today's update buggy?

I've been working on a new plan, and I'm getting strange graphic images when I do a section cut or 3d camera.

Followed shortly by an error message which allows me to send a report before it shuts down.

Cannot even save my work.

This only started after I downloaded the update for today.

I'm going to shut down and reboot in the hopes it has something to do with it.

13 hours ago, jtcapa1 said:

I've been working on a new plan, and I'm getting strange graphic images when I do a section cut or 3d camera.

Followed shortly by an error message which allows me to send a report before it shuts down.

Might check out the end pages of this thread.

These refer to prior to the update. I have not yet done enough with the update to know if there is a change but what you describe was happening prior to it. I'm currently trying to work out if DropBox has anything to do with it (some talk about Google and OneDrive there) For some time now I've had auto save set to 3 minutes.

When I get it it is always with having both an elevation AND a 3D view, usually when both are visible either on separate monitors or a split screen (seems worse). When it first locks I have sometime been able to solve it by hitting Ctrl + W on the locked view, usually the perspective. It has not been reproducible but does happen often enough to be a problem.

Just  managed to generate repeatedly with current update-

Plan view open, perspective overview (standard view) with cross section slider, split screen on one monitor floor plan and perspective

then a back clipped elevation from side of building . Switched back to plan.

Then Full Camera of interior- boom.

Going to roll back since I managed to do this 4 times in a row. Three crash/lock ups and one with the bonus of black backgrounds and the Full camera switched to sort of show the full overview on drugs. Sent this in.

image.thumb.png.367fa854e814f0a4eece5d1dd24f67d2.png

Just got my 1st lockup for today  closed an elevation , said yes to update Layout , then reopened Elevation to check I'd done something almost immediately, looked good, so I closed it again and it has hung........ still hung after typing this so will need to force close I think.......

image.thumb.png.050d6baafca1d43431a14e3af5c6e749.png

As far as we can tell, there are no new problems in the latest update (23.2.1.3) that were not already in the previous one (23.2.0.55).

If you are experiencing any new problems, you should first try doing all of the usual things like rebooting your computer, checking your video card drivers, checking any other recent system changes, etc.

If you are looking for more information, then please take a look at this tech article:

https://www.chiefarchitect.com/support/article/KB-00106/troubleshooting-3d-camera-view-display-problems-in-chief-architect.html

If you are still having problems, then please contact our tech support team for additional help.

I got that same error message:

Which referred to the rendering engine.

New plan, but after a clean reboot, I got that crash.  It allows me to send in a report?? So hopefully Dermot and his team of experts can puzzle out what is happening.

I may have to move back to X12 instead.

So far, that same drawing, doing the same basic set of commands, is working just fine in X12.  So this is a real bug.

Got my current issue solved with tech support. Short answer for me for now is set Nvidia Control Panel back to the default settings and have X13 profile use the same. (setting it to always use the discreet GPU is OK I tested that)

Longer answer and some maybe useful tidbits and the end re reporting.

They had me do some troubleshooting steps enable diagnostics changes in the render panel of preferences,so that they would get a more useful report, then to close reopen, and get a crash, click send in a report.

At the same time he asked " One more thing. Do you have any 3rd party applications installed that modify the graphics settings on your machine. These would be things that for example display an overlay on screen showing stats about the card or overclock the card in some way. Have you changed any of the graphics settings using the Nvidia Control panel or GeForce Experience?"

SO while I waited to hear back about the reports I tested those things. EVGA Precision X1 made no difference but I rarely have that running so did not expect it. UltraMon made no difference. BUT I reverted the Nvidia Control panel to the defaults, then deleted the X13 profile, the put X13 back into the profile but made no changes from the default.

The immediate problem went away. Now I have not touched the NV CP in well over a month, maybe two, and some of the global settings I changed are being used by X12 so no idea what or why but happy.

Having had this sort of issue pretty often, just not reproducible, since the fall, I can only hope it is gone completely, will see.

Regarding that I asked what should be changed and I was told not to change ANY control panel settings. Now that flies in the face of what I've seen and done in the past (without issues of any kind) particularly when there is an intel card attached to the CPU, and on laptops. For now I've only changed that one setting in the X13 profile to always use the discreet GPU. 

In any case I made note of all the non default settings I had before and any discrepancy between x13 and x12 settings (few) If I ever get some free time I'll try to see if any settings help or hinder, one at a time,  but only when I have some freedom to fiddle (yeah like that's soon)

Important!! 

FWIW at one point I was told to make sure to click send in a report. Now I thought I had but made it crash and did as told. Then noted that I'd allowed multiple reports on this and similar issues be sent in over the last few months. Was told

We do look at the reports that get sent in but in some cases we do not have enough information to determine the cause.

What I get from that is that just clicking send report is not much help to them. So in the future if I click send report I plan on immediately following up so that there is "enough information" or at least all I have.

• Upvote 1

Even after a reboot the C++ ADF is still open if Chief is Open .....

Re NV CP :  I had not added my Profiles back after updating to 471.96 Drivers
to see if it would help and have had no Crashes since now thinking about it,
but as noted I still have the odd hang and the black flashing in Elevation views.....

You may also have Crashes it if you have run MSI AfterBurner at some point....

RivaTuner Statistics Server in X13

• Products & Versions Affected: Chief Architect X13
  • Platform: Windows 10
  • Description: RivaTuner Statistics Server may cause Chief Architect to produce an internal rendering error when looking at 3D previews within nested dialog boxes. In rare cases, the 3D preview associated with the Library Browser may also display in an incorrect location.
  • Solution: RivaTuner Statistics Server is often preinstalled on MSI branded systems. It may also be bundled in MSI Afterburner software. Uninstall RivaTuner Statistics Server to resolve the issue.

To track down that “Server” check your Taskbar Icons?  and if needed check the services.msc app? ( type into Run Command )
EVGA's Precision X1 is “supposedly” no longer using it as they got sued by the guy who made it originally which is why they
have Precision X1 now and not Precision XOC anymore.

Mick.

• 3 weeks later...