Problem with floor framing, not framing entire floor, only... well not sure what it is doing

SH_Canada

trying to build a suite above a garage with stem walls. I did one of these a few weeks ago and I got it right, but this one is wrong. I've been comparing settings but can't find it.  When I created the second floor I had to change the floor structure after it was built from 3" concrete to I joist, so I think that had something to do with it.

But I've been fidlding for a while and have no luck. Anyone know why I have a midget floor?

image.thumb.png.95ea9a27eaf8992d52fbcbca4cf5ec8e.png

image.thumb.png.e47f8e6a7bd3af9d2ea6894e9bbd33a5.png

eric garage suite 2.plan

CA looks to be using my OSB subfloor thickness for the joists as this is the joist which was created. Anyone know where this setting comes from? I tried changing defaults floor platform and floor 2 subfoor to something other than 5/8s and nothing changes after I rebuild the floor. It is still 5/8

image.thumb.png.3f695dcc2a75a0b4396e6745a93feafa.png

7 hours ago, jasonN said:

CA looks to be using my OSB subfloor thickness for the joists as this is the joist which was created. Anyone know where this setting comes from? I tried changing defaults floor platform and floor 2 subfoor to something other than 5/8s and nothing changes after I rebuild the floor. It is still 5/8

image.thumb.png.3f695dcc2a75a0b4396e6745a93feafa.png

That's really weird and something I haven't seen. Here's pics of the section without the default box checked and then with it checked. Nothing in the spec's change but it then builds correctly. Weird.

section 1.png

section 2.png

So it appears there is a glitch.  I would send it in to tech support.  The error was able to be fixed once I set all the defaults correctly but only after I placed a joist direction framing reference and manually changed that to the 16" depth did it start building correctly.  I am guessing maybe you placed one of those and put in the 5/8" sheathing thickness instead???  But it should be overwritten once it's deleted and go back to defaults which is where I believe the glitch is.

BTW you have all of your floor heights changed in your model manually instead of using your floor defaults so there are other issues as noted above and in this picture:

image.thumb.png.0b378ce7b138c4e4e5aa272a3bed778d.png

It appears that the second floor room's Floor Structure is different than the default, in that the OSB layer is marked as the framing layer and the Fir Framing layer isn't. Checking the "Default" checkbox (which HumbleChief mentioned) has the Floor Structure match what the defaults are set to, which has the layers swapped for which is marked as Framing.

Either checking the "Default" checkbox to utilize the default layers, or changing which layers are framing layers in the Floor Structure of the second floor room has the floor framing use the other layer to generate framing for.

Chief_Architect_Premier_X13_KsAqUnB7bl.thumb.png.ab9636db92ae5544f27f88f9663f5a5f.png

Hope that helps!

1 hour ago, HumbleChief said:

BTW Floor 1 looks a little messed up as well. A 3" concrete slab floor over a crawl space? Not sure that's what you want but maybe? Just a bit strange and probably nothing to do with those weird 5/8" OBS floor joists but maybe worth a look?

it is not a crawl space, it is stem walls only, filled with fill. It is the rules here for building above grade, two stories

4 minutes ago, jasonN said:

it is not a crawl space, it is stem walls only, filled with fill. It is the rules here for building above grade, two stories

Apologies as I did not mean that as a criticism, only an observation. Did the help offered above solve the problem for you? I think Michael Long found the issue no?

17 minutes ago, mLongChief said:

It appears that the second floor room's Floor Structure is different than the default, in that the OSB layer is marked as the framing layer and the Fir Framing layer isn't. Checking the "Default" checkbox (which HumbleChief mentioned) has the Floor Structure match what the defaults are set to, which has the layers swapped for which is marked as Framing.

thanks,

funny thing is I was looking at that nine ways to sunday, I was looking at it in the build framing dialog box, where you can also specify this setting, and in there it is correct. There are basically four places you can set this:

defaults->2nd floor defaults

defaults->floor/ceiling platform

build framing->1st->subfloor for floor 2

Room specification->second floor

sounds like the last one takes precedence. I changed it and it works.

59 minutes ago, rgardner said:

BTW you have all of your floor heights changed in your model manually instead of using your floor defaults so there are other issues a

Yes I have some sort of workflow problem or something. This should be a trivial thing to build and I do not think I should have to go in and specify the wood floor when building the second floor, it should take it from the defaults. But it seems because my garage floor was 3" concrete, it was using this. Maybe I'm not setting up the foundation correctly or something. But I do know that now it looks correct: stem walls with no floor at top of footing, top of stem wall 12" above grade, 3" concrete floor at grade.

image.thumb.png.7e38d0d0494656d8ff548e995bf3f214.png

14 minutes ago, jasonN said:

I should have to go in and specify the wood floor when building the second floor, it should take it from the defaults.

It was taking it from your defaults.  But you had manually adjusted the rooms to not follow the defaults.  Best except where you have mixed floor systems (different size joists or conc. slab with raised joist) on the same floors to leave all to follow defaults and then adjust your floor defaults so that everything changes if you need to.

54 minutes ago, jasonN said:

This should be a trivial thing to build and I do not think I should have to go in and specify the wood floor when building the second floor, it should take it from the defaults

You cannot have defaults for the 2nd Floor pre-setup, ( disregarding the SAM Method) but are given the chance to change and set them up in the DBX when you create the second floor , if you just click OK ? Chief copies the Defaults from the Floor below....

M.

1 hour ago, jasonN said:

Yes I have some sort of workflow problem or something....

I've had "some sort of workflow problems or something" with Chief for many years. Just now really understanding (after 20 years) the proper defaults to set up and where and how they effect the plan. Super powerful once understood but have had me flummoxed for most of my Chief career. Glad you got it figured out.

5 hours ago, HumbleChief said:

Yeah pretty darn confusing.

to quote JB..."c'mon man".

I'll admit to a new user it can seem a bit overwhelming (aka confusing) but not if you stop to think about it. 

Chief gives us the power to setup a typical floor/ceiling platform default. You can then move to the floor defaults and make changes to those floor platforms as needed.

So...lets say you have a 3-story house placed on a monolithic slab. You can set your floor/ceiling platform default to be wood framed (9.25" joists + OSB), then open your Floor Levels>1st Floor and change the 1st floor to 4" concrete...which of course is not your "default" floor platform...but it's now the default for the 1st Floor. Now, head on over to Foundation and check the box "hang 1st floor platform inside foundation walls".

So...you have a default platform...but you also have a 1st Floor default. When you build the 2nd and 3rd floors you will get a wood floor with OSB sheathing. If you had specified the 4" concrete as your default platform to accommodate your desire for a 4" slab on grade floor on the 1st Floor...then, all your floors in your plan would be built this way.

You shouldn't have to change the framing defaults as long as the "floor structure" box is checked in the framing DBX....which typically it always is unless you deliberately changed this in the template plan you are using.

As far as "rooms" go. My suggestion is you don't mess with changing anything in a room unless the floor or ceiling system has to be modified to accommodate a condition. Otherwise...just change your defaults. 

See...it's not confusing. :wacko: