Soffit issue

DH7777

Is there any way to get the exterior soffits to NOT match the interior ceiling. I want the interior to be different than the default soffit material but it changes the soffit too.  I run into this ALL the time regardless if it is vaulted or flat ceilings. I will say this screen porch roof has been manually adjusted down to fit the situation on this remodel project. In other words it is not matching any floor level. It is set on invisible walls because I had to create my own screen walls (not using half walls but all made with polyline solids). Again, because this finish floor deck has been also manually dropped to fit the situation needed. Not sure if this is my issue but this soffit issue has happened multiple times on other projects even when the floor levels and roof have not been adjusted. Thoughts? Really getting tired of spending the time to manually covering surfaces to hide things I do not like.

SOFFIT ISSUE.jpg

40 minutes ago, solver said:

The default template uses the same material for the soffit and ceilings. If you paint a new material on either one using the P (plan) option, they will all change.

Suggest you change the template to use a unique material for one or the other.

ct1.thumb.png.55d2e87854dd6cb6d86f792b6abf5fbd.png

I'm not following what you mean by changing the template. How do I do this?

Robert's suggestion may work as  long as your interior ceilings are all flat (not common-rafter-vaulted where the material setting comes from Roof Defaults). Push comes to shove you can add custom ceiling planes for interior vaults and they are programmed to accept material assignments separate from roof planes alone.

The fact is that Materials assignment questions are not nice and neat with a single "answer" because there are multiple "answers" to such questions due to the multiple ways one can arrive at an "answer", without your plan file to inspect, no one can be singly sure of a single answer.

DJP

3 hours ago, DH7777 said:

No sir it did not

sounds like you tried changing it in the Roof Build defaults?  and should of used Edit All Roof Planes ( as the Roof planes already exist in the plan)

If you change the Soffit material to T&G in the Roof build DBX in your template plan used for all new projects it will be T&G on every job.

image.thumb.png.f0b3f5704f43497908da29ed542afaa0.png

3 hours ago, DavidJPotter said:

Robert's suggestion may work as  long as your interior ceilings are all flat (not common-rafter-vaulted where the material setting comes from Roof Defaults).

I believe this is incorrect, David. The room ceiling material will still apply to a sloped ceiling as long as "use room ceiling finish" is checked in the structure tab of the roof plane dialog.

I do this regularly for an exterior room where I might alter between vented and non-vented soffit material for the 'ceiling'  / eaves.