Straight edge stairs

Designer1

4 hours ago, gelbuilding said:

Hi Mick,

I dont see the mitre connection of the stairs working if the connection of the two stairs are less than 180 degrees.

It will connect as long as it has a platform to connect to and the origin end are within 6" of each other.

23 hours ago, Dermot said:

Ryan is correct.  

wrapped stairs 2.png

5 hours ago, gelbuilding said:

Hi Mick,

I dont see the mitre connection of the stairs working if the connection of the two stairs are less than 180 degrees.

You may have to show the angle you are talking about, most of my examples were to help Mark's situation,

but I thought most were less than 180°? .............inside corners are definitely more finicky but are do-able....

image.thumb.png.7ec420ac94541765d14a350b700a5ddc.png

11 hours ago, Designer1 said:

Does anyone know how to deal with the landing railings not following the regular stair?  No matter what I select on the stair it doesnt look correct.

Have you tried making the rail manually instead of through the stair dbx ?

Hi Mark, yeah I think thats the only option left for me to try. Ive selected and unselected every possible option but nothing looks decent. 

Im hoping in future chief releases they can do an overhaul on the stair/landing tool.  In my opinion, its the oldest feature still hanging on in the software.  Everything else seems to get updated every release or so this one is pretty much the same as it was back 14 years ago.

• Downvote 1

In my opinion, its the oldest feature still hanging on in the software.  Everything else seems to get updated every release or so this one is pretty much the same as it was back 14 years ago.

Although it is true that there were not a lot of improvements to the stair tools for X13, I think they have actually changed a lot over the last 14 years. In fact, I don't think you could have done a lot of the things outlined in this thread 14 years ago. 

Here are just some of the things that we have done:

X12 

- Ability to connect stairs of different widths

- Better control over landings for automatic stairs

- Better tools for moving and bumping stairs individually or as a group

- Ability to control number, placement, size, and materials of stair stringers

- Ability to control thickness and material of stair wall trim

X11
 - Pony walls with railings can now follow stairs
 - Auto connected stair landings for manual winders and starter treads
 - Improved control over landing railings per edge

X9
 - New L-Shaped and U-Shaped stair tools
 - Ability to specify railings on landings
 - Ability to use panels for stairs, ramps, and landings
 - Improved control over newel and baluster spacing
 - Improved dialog previews for stairs and landings
 - Improved control over top and bottom rails
 - Improved snapping to walls

X8
 - Stair break lines
 - Handrail returns and extensions
 - Improved display with stair and ramp details in plan views
 - Improved display with stair, ramp, and landing railings in plan view
 - Improved control over how to specify top of stair

X7
 - Ability to control solid railings that follow stairs

X3
 - New ramp tool
 - Improved landing tool
 - Railings that can follow stairs
 - New stair defaults
 - Improved one-click stair tool
 - Ability to group stair select and modify
 - Ability to manually adjust stair heights
 - Improved stair and landing materials

X1
 - New one-click stair tool
 - New wrapped stairs

Of course, there is always more that we can do and you should feel free to submit feature requests for the things that you would still like to see improved. 

• Upvote 1

Hi Dermot, yes Chief has improved stairs bit by bit over the decades.  I was just speaking of compared to chiefs other features like raytracing, PBR, real time raytrace its the oldest meaning least dynamic feature changes.  You think of chiefs old school Pov Ray renderings compared to todays real time raytrace and its leaps and bounds, whereas the stair tool has stayed relatively similar.

My favorite stair designer is in Archicad.  Ive never seen a stair builder in any other software that you can create anything so easily with so many options and not have any design glitches.

Dermot do you recommend anything for my stair railing issue with the pictures I posted?  Someone recommended doing a railing separate from the stairs but is there any other options using the stair DBX to work with?