Straight edge stairs

Designer1

Does anyone know how to get these two stairs to connect and become one single stair? Im trying to replace the shelf alongside the stair and just want to open the stairs up. Is this possible with chiefs stair tool without using polyline solids etc?  I wanting to keep the straight edge and not round or curve the shape of the treads. By the way does anyone know what this stair style is called? Flared staircase??

Thanks in advance!

Stairs.jpg

Stair 2.jpg

9 hours ago, Designer1 said:

Does anyone know how to get these two stairs to connect and become one single stair? Im trying to replace the shelf alongside the stair and just want to open the stairs up. Is this possible with chiefs stair tool without using polyline solids etc?  I wanting to keep the straight edge and not round or curve the shape of the treads. By the way does anyone know what this stair style is called? Flared staircase??

Thanks in advance!

Stairs.jpg

I don't think they will wrap sitting out there on there own, they need to be connected to a "wall" ( or railing like a deck edge)

plus everything must be identical in both Stairs ie tread size, riser height, top and bottom heights etc.

M.

10 hours ago, gelbuilding said:

Checkout this Video

This is second time in a month this has come up and answers have been the same.

It's easy to make work with angles 90 and greater which is what everyone shows for the answer.

BUT that is not the same as the posted question which has angles less than 90. I can't find a way to make Chief automatically connect stairs set at acute angles.

Eric's suggestion to use landings can be a solution, that is make several angled landings.

I'd love to see someone post an auto connected stair at an acute angle (I'll buy ya an ice cream :)

4 hours ago, Kbird1 said:

they need to be connected to a "wall"            ( and to wrap they need a corner )

Where are the walls needed to make it work in the OPs post?  

Vanilla please....

image.thumb.png.8bba4fe559d9216d83f976a869e69a62.png  image.thumb.png.96d0d385c1a9cfd6c55a78a6e4341ca3.png

image.thumb.png.a339da4e702dd2717af55abcb4a5db09.png * Wrapped stairs will not auto-cut the stairwell hole to the correct shape

39 minutes ago, DzinEye said:

Perhaps I'm not understanding ?

My description was wrong backwards I guess, doesn't work on Obtuse angles. But a quick look at the original post....

To me the difference between solutions and what was posted is kinda obvious?.

image.thumb.png.7fc3c62d31d5ded48723c6739569df96.pngimage.thumb.png.ae12816629c35013cdb550645b8666e3.png

56 minutes ago, MarkMc said:

To me the difference between solutions and what was posted is kinda obvious?.

apparently not........ I'm definitely missing something as I tried to duplicate the OP's "Room" and drawing

and it seems to work okay.

M.

9 minutes ago, Kbird1 said:

apparently not........ I'm definitely missing something as I tried to duplicate the OP's "Room" and drawing

M.

I’ll bite.  Mick, next time you are down in Panama ice cream is on me!

21 minutes ago, MarkMc said:

Show me please.

41 minutes ago, Kbird1 said:

I'm definitely missing something as I tried to duplicate the OP's "Room" and drawing

2 hours ago, Kbird1 said:

image.thumb.png.8bba4fe559d9216d83f976a869e69a62.png  image.thumb.png.96d0d385c1a9cfd6c55a78a6e4341ca3.png

image.thumb.png.a339da4e702dd2717af55abcb4a5db09.png *

15 hours ago, Designer1 said:

Thanks in advance!

Stairs.jpg

Stair 2.jpg

I think you are asking a different question Mark.

26 minutes ago, MarkMc said:

Show me please.

image.thumb.png.232ae55bcdad04f0c5f816d2e550730e.png

Not positive and not at computer but I think to get this to work you have to match up the closest tread to the upper surface instead of the lowest. Just like you would on the other examples.

• Upvote 1

You do have to give Chief a REAL WORLD CONDITION  or it won't work ie: there has to be elevation between the Rooms or Levels / Areas

2 walls ---   No                                                               4 walls and a Room - No       

image.thumb.png.08d698ebc7413b4cf740a1be4368ed16.png image.thumb.png.4bc6319e6d4dc81368308c6bb84903da.png 

But open the Room DBX and make it a raised area (35" here)   and  Boom auto wrap..... if stair edge is < 6" from corner

image.thumb.png.5296fc6ede9665074946c6df34b0cd84.png

seems to work the same at inside Corners  and is easier to do drawing the stairs down

( hold ALT ) from the raised area , similar to if it was a Deck.

image.thumb.png.1a3a8d31d3b8f739e060fdbd28b31105.png image.thumb.png.4ba57da283b46579b1bf1147e0021dcc.png

image.thumb.png.d0b3518ca9215e0140e2c5742b878b0e.png  image.thumb.png.da0ee1af26a646ba1749417eb43b1426.png

No Room Def ,    so no Elevation/RWD = no wrap                               Room Def  =  RWD/Elev. =   Wrap On but Winders OFF 

A 2nd Staircase fixes the Winder though it appears the Skirt Trim does not work properly ,

similar to Landings ( why do landings not have the Skirt ! )

image.thumb.png.60e95c522e21c7be2a7ab32cb83bbb10.png    image.thumb.png.27fa1bf6d987e2f593fe01bab9bb6bcd.png   

The Plan to play with / Check..............       Stair Wrapping Test.plan

Mick.

• Like 1

Not positive and not at computer but I think to get this to work you have to match up the closest tread to the upper surface instead of the lowest. Just like you would on the other examples.

Ryan is correct.  You need to snap the top edge of the stairs to the inside corner, not the bottoms.

wrapped stairs 2.png

• Upvote 1

16 hours ago, rgardner said:

to get this to work you have to match up the closest tread to the upper surface instead of the lowest.

9 minutes ago, Dermot said:

Ryan is correct.  

Can you explain that some more please , if the stairs are identical , and they need to be to wrap (afaik) then what is the difference

as I didn't have any difficulty doing this, so am curious.

M.

I believe you are still trying to snap the bottom corners of the stairs together.  You need to snap the top corners together along the deck/landing edge (where my arrow is pointing in the picture I posted above).  This will cause to the stairs to overlap but they should then wrap/miter.

Ok now I get what you were saying earlier.....

And Yes, you need to be less than 6" from the (inner) corner of the Walls you want to wrap around with both sets of Stairs....

image.thumb.png.46c56f6fe1b90f288878c52a985dcf46.png

There are other issues in Mark's (Client's) Plan , the two staircases are not identical, ie Riser and tread sizes etc ,

but I think something else is up as "The Build" here is really strange, ie:  30" high Level 1 CLG Hgt, and no Foundation etc.

M.

42 minutes ago, Dermot said:

This will cause to the stairs to overlap but they should then wrap/miter.

I've snapped them at the bottom, top, every different layer of the wall, copied and pasted, typed in lengths (I believe the ones in plan I posted were not same length?), added foundation and get this every time.

image.thumb.png.e1187a67469a56dad81df9fe93b956ac.png

Originally I hacked it with landings but at some point lost those due to terrain changes and just left it since they are getting torn out. Figured I'd fix it for final when I had all the terrain infor.

I just got it to work by adding a landing at the top of the wall and that works even if I bury the landing in the wall.

NOTHING else has worked, or show me?

The first one I showed was drawn to a landing for testing but didn't work until I used Kbirds solution of giving the room a definition. So thanks I guess :)\

image.thumb.png.5bb09b8d72c08feff1ecb186ec0f6f98.png

18 minutes ago, MarkMc said:

Kbirds solution of giving the room a definition

It is that the Room has a Height reference , not that it has Room Definition that causes the wrap to work as I showed above....

The two stairs are not identical so they won't wrap till they are, I usually copy the 1st one I draw to make sure they are....

There is something else up in this plan though.....