External Stairs

gelbuilding

Go to solution Solved by glennw,

I can think of two reasons straight off that may require the stairs to be built in a room definition.

1. If you have any winders in the stairs - probably unlikely with external stairs.

2. If you want to break the stairs and see the one flight going up on the lower floor and down from the upper floor, you need to build an open below room on the upper floor.

Or...use some other tricks to get the same result.

1 hour ago, glennw said:

I can think of two reasons straight off that may require the stairs to be built in a room definition.

1. If you have any winders in the stairs - probably unlikely with external stairs.

2. If you want to break the stairs and see the one flight going up on the lower floor and down from the upper floor, you need to build an open below room on the upper floor.

Or...use some other tricks to get the same result.

Glenn brings up some great points if the stairs are going to be against the building.  

17 minutes ago, gelbuilding said:

The stairs as shown on the first post,

Three steps then path, three steps then path and so on.

No winders.

From the picture it looks like they are stairs that are on the terrain and are more like a landscaping feature.  Different ways to do it if that is the case but I personally would only be showing that on the site plan and not architectural or structural plans so would just manually set the heights of landings and steps without worrying about rooms.however if next to the house Glenn made some great reasons why I would consider doing it within a “room”.

As i see it, i need to build a room with 5 floors and adjust the floor levels to the measurement from the stair section (From Pic attached).

With all invisable walls.

Would be good if i coulld use slab tool and draw the stairs from slab to slab.

Ryan,

Im a builder not an Architect and when i build i strive for 100% when it comes to detail.

I need to workout the steps to be all equal. I like to nut it all out before i begin.

I create a 3dmodel and nut out many details that are not visable on a2D plan.

Here a link to this model the Architect sent us. You can see the stairs clearly on the side of the house.

https://skfb.ly/opxHU

External Stairs Section.jpg

5 hours ago, gelbuilding said:

As i see it, i need to build a room with 5 floors and adjust the floor levels to the measurement from the stair section (From Pic attached).

Ryan,

Im a builder not an Architect and when i build i strive for 100% when it comes to detail.

I need to workout the steps to be all equal. I like to nut it all out before i begin.

Here a link to this model the Architect sent us. You can see the stairs clearly on the side of the house.

You only need a room at the top of the stairs. Simply draw the stairs and landings and Chief will automatically adjust the height to hit the terrain...if you have one! And remember to use the alt key to draw the first set, from the top down.

6 hours ago, gelbuilding said:

Ryan,

I think in this case you could even use Polyline Solids drawn in elevation and shaped to the stair-runs shown in the pic above.

I might use a room made with Foundation walls if retaining walls were also needed.

M.

14 hours ago, gelbuilding said:

Have external stairs next to the building.

Do i need to build rooms in order to build the stairs?

external stairs.jpg

It looks to me like the simplest would be to copy the cad profile and convert it into a p-solid in the elevation view. Then, simply set the thickness, material and layer.

George,

I haven't downloaded your plan yet, but will do so.

I can't see any reason why you would need external rooms to do that arrangement of stairs.

I wouldn't do it that way.

You should be able to draw the stairs on the floor plan you want them to display on and then use the settings like Top Height, Bottom Height, etc.

You could then use poly solids, slabs, or some of the terrain tools, etc for the paths. 

57 minutes ago, gelbuilding said:

Thanks for all suggestion, very appreciated.

I endedup making room for the stairs to work, though i cannot get the floors to show up between the stairs. all walls invisable.

Stairs in rooms.jpg

Elevation in Cad Impoort Lindfield.plan 4.27 MB · 1 download

I probably wouldn't do it this was as I said above , but you have every room set at 0mm ceiling height and all the floors are set at 0mm too, hence the slab you see sitting on the ground, each room's floor needs to be at the height of the Slabs in the Elevation.  ie 600mm next one 1200mm etc....

image.thumb.png.d6502ec8d6a78c6ab223a267f50aa3a9.png image.thumb.png.33047f4fc10f9b81dc25ad462f236137.png

• Like 1

you can draw a wall , shoot an elevation camera , draw some CAD Stairs against the wall, convert them to Polyline Solids and you should have 3D stairs.

Edit: *** your current CAD Import is in Plan View, so don't use those CAD Blocks and convert them to PSolids or the Orientation in 3D will be wrong , copy, the CAD Blocks into the Elevation of the Wall ( Above) then convert them.

image.thumb.png.054e92372824195cda52c1c2b8483eab.png  image.thumb.png.e1aebe7b66534f9b053c5a9265eb973f.png

• Upvote 1

9 minutes ago, gelbuilding said:

I though there would of been a easier way.

There probably is.  I'm still not quite sure what the problem is.  In reading back though though, and after having opened your plan file, I think I may have stumbled on it...

17 hours ago, gelbuilding said:

You don't need to draw 5 floors.  What you need to do is simply draw 5 Landings.  Then the stairs can automatically reference those.

• Upvote 1

Michael, 

how i couldnt do it, like i said the stairs started on the floor level of the structure, what default of the stairs did you use.

I Used Glenn suggestion of the individual stairs giving the heights and very happy with the results.

Need to tweek a bit, though love the results.

Thanks so much everyone.

External Stairs 3D.jpg

8 hours ago, Alaskan_Son said:

Set landing heights manually and then simply drew stairs from landings to landings and from landing to ground.  Same thing you tried to do with floors but with landings instead.

Yes Michael's solution works perfect.